Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday aF 26 October

MAE abbers.
    Dark outside. Weekend started. Lots of boring shopping to do. Might wash my hair. Feed the cat. Go to the tip (not sure what you call it in the US but I mean the dump). A paper to write. Clean my teeth.
    Is this more to your taste Mr Jockster? :H Hellz, a woman only tries to be ?poetic? and she gets accused of being on the wacky stuff. :HI was trying to evoke a sense of the season for Sam ? as he clearly appreciates my finer qualities.

Anyway I don?t smoke the stuff and we now call tips ?transfer stations? ? seriously, we do.

Anyway Mick ? it is dark outside but its not cold! You have a good trip on your visit with David Cameron tomorrow.

Lav ? like you often do I had an extra person sleepover last night. My daughter?s best friend. They got the sewing machine out and did some sewing and chattered. Just like a Jane Austen novel here!

Bear ? try not to agonise so much about work. I do hope the CBT is helping. I plead guilty to being a work worrier ? although in my role I do have a lot of responsibility. Am learning to compartmentalise some things ? and if I can?t solve them immediately ? just do what I can and wait. I try to deal with stuff as it comes up. Mick gave me great advice when I was having big probs earlier in the year. And believe me, not drinking the worries away is so good. This also means that you do have to deal with stuff cos you can?t sedate it under several glasses of wine.

SL ? you are dealing with some big things in your life as well as quitting AL. You are allowed to be sad, weepy, flat, depressed. That's part of what we are whether we are alkies or not. Just as I said in a post to you yesterday ? if the sadness gets way too much ? I suggest you talk to a GP or a good counsellor (no shortage where you live). Also I recall that when I was in my early to mid 50s my hormones were a bit erratic ? so a GP would check that too. These bodily changes did not help in quitting the booze but as some of us ?mature? ladies know ? being AF makes hormonal shifts easier. I have a teenage girl too ? as the whole bloody world knows cos I talk about her way too much.
    By the time you read this is should be around 2 weeks AF for you ? so that's superb! :goodjob:

Yah ? hope you have a be-kind-to-yourself weekend. Yes, the short days are a bummer ? as you Northern Hemisphere folks remind me. I recall PPQP and the folk from Canada really having short days. Maybe a light box will help. Actually I was reading of new research that disputes the need for Vit D supplements in winter (or at least the extent to which so many people take them) but I can?t find it at the moment. Maybe Det can check - but i think it was research here in NZ.
    I can never work out what the the school grades mean in the US. So your niece is in Grade 11 ? what age is she?

Good to see you Turn. How long are the days up your way? I really want to travel up North (US and Canada) one of these days. But this summer will see me confined to the subtropical South and later on next year, Hawaii? ain?t complaining!
    I hope I live as long as your Aunt, Mick ? and still do lots of travelling. Your trip next year is exciting me.

Hi there Strong ? in pumpkin land!

Lav ? where were your Aunt and Mom nurses during the War? Perchance in the Pacific?

I have exhausted myself with writing this ? so just a wave (but a biggie) to others who I haven?t chatted with yet ? hi there and hugs to Pauly and Det.

Saturday aF 26 October

36 degrees....I've got the space heater and electric blanket going. I would never survive in the North again!

SL...this last time around I did not feel all that wonderful myself. I am grateful for it now. It seemed like I was dragging for weeks. I think my body and brain knew this time it was really it....and they both took their good old time to the adjustment. Grateful because there was none of that....quit on Monday.....feel so great on Wednesday, have 10 drinks to feel even better.....then what the hell....carry on to Sunday....because after all I would feel great again in 48 hours...crap. I thought it was age....but, my brain and body knew before I did that this was it. Even though it feels like shit....take it as a good sign that your brain and body are cementing the deal on giving up al.

Pauly....I believe in you. I was the queen of relapse. Not recommended route. Cut the slip off at the knees.

Mick...work is going better than I could have imagined. I spend a lot time doing things I truly enjoy. And because of it I am so much more effective in my position. Now they barely even ask where I am at.

I think posting is a lot like recovery. It's a personal thing on the "why"....sometimes I just do it because it seems to be keeping me sober. That is reason enough.

I found the Comedy channel on Pandora....because of recent events.....I could not stop laughing at this one....why are Christians against the death penalty? Because we may put an innocent person to death? John 3:16....kill innocent person, repent your whole life and get a free ticket into heaven. Sounds like it worked out pretty good. Maybe I should send that in an email to the pastor....just in case he needs more material

Pumpkin Festival in the am. I have not been to this one.....but, looking at last years photos looks like a pretty big to do. Music City never lacks for good entertainment. Then I am off to a 5 hour yoga festival....where you do 5 hours of yoga.....that is about as close as I am getting to heaven today.

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

Hi SF - I meant to say that this morning.

Good advice to SL and Pauly.
      How are you feeling Pauly?

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

hey TT thanks for starting us off, and the advice about work worry - CBT does work when I use it, and just making myself do stuff. I've pretty much had anxiety/low self esteem since a teenager, had periods of counselling/tablets. It was the initial phone assessment - he said I had quite low mood and pretty high anxiety - generalisd anxiety he said.

My appt with therapist is on 8 November - I asked what would be best things I could do in the meantime. He said exercise (but no pressure do what I can/feel like ding/no beating self up) and to see friends.He said not drinking was good - which I know but good to hear someone else say it.I may take some vit d too - in multi vit but am sure could take more.

SL - hope you being kind to yourself, and just think how much worse it would be if you drank as well. Nothing lasts forever is something I need to remind myself of often.

Pauly - please don't beat yourself up and be kind to yourself too, I am queen of that and serial quitting,you're trying,you can learn from this and you have been AF so you can carry on being AF.

SF - I didn't realise/had forgotten that you had several attempts as well, sometimes it feels like it's only us as individuals who struggle and it's good to see a long time quitter who has mastered it - gives me hope to hear you share that - and I'm sure to others too.

Part of me was hoping by being AF a magic wand would be waved, I know deep down that wouldn't happen.But I wake up calmer and more still, I feel proud of myself,I haven't lost weight BUT haven't put any on as I would have done,have saved money to treat myself with massage/clear credit card/savings in general. I do feel more 'together' and am making plans to improve my home (dragging OH with me).I have sunny holiday booked in all inclusive resort - determined to have a sober holiday - have done sober Christmas and sober music festival so I am sure I can do this.
        Day 36
        one day at a time

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

mae all....yippee..the underneath people have got the same weather as us ...dark and miserable ..tho ask Julie and she would say you are describing me not the weather ...we are getting all battened down for the storms allegedly headed in from the Gulf of Mexico..deep joy .I remember lotsa years ago when I was over in the keys scuba diving,there were warnings of a storm ...never forget the name ..Tropical Storm Gordon,waited till the last minute and then drove like hell up the keys and into Tampa..seemed a good idea at the time...until we saw that where we had been staying on the news was smashed to bits.Anyway what are we up to today then?owt or nowt?ok on we go then ..Im out early doors tomorrow again .

Tea n cawfee on the go..Im on big cup 2

Hiya tt ...take note ..put hiya not mae ..aint gotta clue what time it is in your world!! how are things with you today?ok ..lets go with the poetry ...
          Good morrow to you fair maiden ..and pray tell how is your day today been?Perchance one has enjoyed oneself immensely..is that better? a mixture of Tudor and Gothic?Im getting as daft as you
          Certainly looking forward to that holiday next year...planning another quick break tho ..going to go to Rome and Pompeii..somewhere we both have wanted to go .. so going to go for a short break as a surprise for Julie..see what the weather is like before Chrimbo, but I think it will be after....just watch the news ..you will see me on the balcony with that other guy!!!

have a great weekend

Hiya SF..how are you? glad to hear that work is now suiting your way of life !!excellent..you could wrap that up and market it as a stress buster!!As far as posting goes ..yes we all do it for different and separate reasons ,but again thats life isnt it be pretty boring if we were all clones!!have a great weekend

Morning Turn ..its great to hear from you ...congrats on the grant..so whats the dosh for?go on ..spill the beans about the project?Do you live anywhere near Nome? been watching that gold divers programme ...jeez wot a bunch of misfits that is!!place looks pretty dreary too, or is that just perception via media?Life seems to be good for you ..great ..stay close...do you know it doesnt seem that long ago that we said ..keep tat avatar ,will come in handy next year!!

Hiya Lav...how are you today?have you still got the bubbly babe with you ?..quick ..one massive brew for you!!What you need to do is exactly the same ...on an adhoc basis just break into song..thatll flummox her!!!Was going to go int he garden this morning ,but its a bit rainy..so might go swimming instead ...makes sense wont go into the garden because its wet ..and yet will go swimming ...duh!!!You have a good one..and enjoy your impromtu concert!!!

Hiya Im strong ..how are you today in the Windy City ...your pumpkins freezin today????any plans..whatever glad you are in control ...have a good one.

Hi Yah ..hows you today? ..all good I hope..fingers seem to be getting better ..swelling has gone down, tho arm is still giving me gyp ..but to be honest Im not the best at letting recovery thru rest take place!!
          Yep it is interesting to see the reasons why people post,we are all different.Hope all goes well in the family drama, though as you say you are pretty much far away from the scene...have a great day..dont be shy ...jump in ..say hi!! sheer poetry!!!!

Hiya Sl...new day ..new vision..how are you feeling today? Is the sun starting to peek through for you?How did the teenies enjoy themselves?cleared out my message box ...apologies.Have you any plans for today?Go on push yourself,even if you dont feel like doing nowt, you will feel better

Hiya ppqp .. hows you today?thanx for the keyboard,tho like I said there are a few more I could put on it!!Glad things are well for you ..and yes you are right...once you stop boozing its amazing what you do and the interests you develop or you allow to develop..when I look back pretty much wasted lots of time thru al ..and the time I didnt was pretty half arsed ..now wish there was more hours in the day!!Heres a brew..first Ive made you for yonks!!!Have a great day and good visit with your dad.

Hiya Sam .how are you today? thanks for the pics..are there any marks inscriptions or any id at all?seems a lot of trouble to go to to bury humans in such a position without acknowledging them?

Hiya Pauly ....pick yourself up dust yourself down and on you go..we are with you..you are not a drunk,you are our friend so lets get going again ..We know you have had some crap to deal with, but obviously dont know the extent of it,or whats going on..all I can say is we are here for you..and you WILL beat it so keep going .

Hiya Det....how are you...sod the alky voice... good one dont bartend ..too easy to just think ok Ill just have a wee sip got my hands on some elephants foot garlic yesterday .so going to plant them up ..those cloves are massive.You out hiking n shooting this weekend?

Hiya bear..you ok ..just missed your post ...saw it when I put mine up..wheres the sunny jollies? where are you off to?

right folks thats it.....SL,Pauly.....we are here for you whether you want to moan,rant or just post..go for it..you are amongst friends

take care

Two lovers fall on hard times and decided to rob a bank together. The first lover plans the robbery and goes over the plan with the second lover in great detail. The robbery begins. The first lover drives up in front of the bank, stops the car and says to the other lover, "I want to make absolutely sure you understand the plan. You are supposed to be in and out of the bank in no more than three minutes with the cash. Do you understand the plan?" "Perfectly," he said. He goes in the bank while the other waits in the getaway car. One minute passes, two minutes pass...seven minutes pass - and the first lover is really stressing out. Finally, the bank doors burst open and out he comes. He's got a safe wrapped up in rope and is dragging it to the car. About the time he gets the safe in the trunk of the car, the bank doors burst open again with the security guard coming out. The guard's pants and underwear are down around his ankles while he is firing his weapon. As the guys are getting away, the first lover says "I thought you understood the plan!" The second lover said, "I did! I did exactly what you said!" "No, you idiot," he replied. "You got it all mixed up. I said tie up the GUARD and blow the SAFE!"

Silently he
          slipped the condom over his erect penis, rolled it down the entire length of the throbbing shaft, never once losing eye contact with the young woman as she stared at him in wide eyed , jaw dropping disbelief . . . . . . . . .
          Then breaking the silence he spoke . . .

'Yes , that seems to fit alright, I'll take the whole packet please.'

Stumpy and his wife Martha went to the state fair every year. Every year Stumpy would say, "Martha, I'd like to ride in that there airplane." And every year Martha would say, "I know Stumpy, but that airplane ride costs ten dollars, and ten dollars is ten dollars." One year Stumpy and Martha went to the fair and Stumpy said, "Martha, I'm 71 years old. If I don't ride that airplane this year I may never get another chance." Martha replied, "Stumpy, that there airplane ride costs ten dollars, and ten dollars is ten dollars." The pilot overheard them and said, "Folks, I'll make you a deal, I'll take you both up for a ride. If you can stay quiet for the entire ride and not say one word, I won't charge you, but if you say one word it's ten dollars." Stumpy and Martha agreed and up they went. The pilot did all kinds of twists and turns, rolls and dives, but not a word was heard. He did all his tricks over again, but still not a word. They landed and the pilot turned to Stumpy, "By golly, I did everything I could think of to get you to yell out, but you didn't." Stumpy replied, "Well, I was gonna say something when Martha fell out, but ten dollars is ten dollars."

Susan was having a tough day and after returning home she started complaining. She said to her husband, "Nobody loves me….nobody cares for me..the whole world hates me!" Her husband, watching TV said casually: "That’s not true dear. You are not that famous that whole world hates you. Some people don’t even know you."

An elderly couple was just settled down for bed when the old man realized he left the lights on in the greenhouse in the back yard. Then they heard voices. Three men had broken into the greenhouse. Scared, they called the police. The dispatcher replied, he would send an officer as soon as one became available as they were all out on calls. The old man waited for a few minutes and called Dispatch again. He told Dispatch, "Don't worry about sending an officer, I shot the robbers and now the dogs are eating their bodies!" In no time at all, police were all over the place and captured the robbers red-handed! One of the cops asked the old man, "I thought you said you shot the robber and your dogs were eating them. " The old man replied, "I thought you said, there weren't any officers available."

During the soccer match little Johnny sits in the front row.
          His friend asks: How did you get tickets?
          From my brother - says Johnny.
          And where is your brother?
          At home. Looking for his ticket.

At one Army base, the annual trip to the rifle range had been canceled for the second year in a row, but the semi-annual physical fitness test was still on as planned. One soldier mused, “Does it bother anyone else that the Army doesn’t seem to care how well we can shoot, but they are extremely interested in how fast we can run?”

A very old woman realizes that she's seen and done everything and the time has come to depart from this world. After considering various methods of doing away with herself, she decides to shoot herself through the heart. Not wanting to make a mistake, she phones her doctor and asks him the exact location of the heart. He tells her that the heart is located two inches below the left nipple. The old woman hangs up the phone, takes careful aim and shoots herself in the left knee.

A teacher was working with a group of children, trying to broaden their horizons through sensory perception. She brought in a variety of lifesavers and said, "Children, I'd like you to close your eyes and taste these." The kids easily identified the taste of cherries, lemons and mint, but when the teacher gave them honey-flavored lifesavers, all of the kids were stumped. I'll give you a hint," said the teacher. "It's something your mommy probably calls your daddy all the time." Instantly, Little Johnny coughed his onto the floor and shouted, "Quick! Spit'em out! They're assholes!"

af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

Hiya...TT. Thanks for starting us off. It may be Sunday for you!

Mick I wish what I was doing was available to everyone. Someone pointed out to me that this "go to work, clock in 8 hours, plus commute" is actually a relatively new idea. Stinks that it stuck....and continues to suck the life out of many. Spent two hours with a young guy who has started his own business. Said he went into corporate America after college and wanted to drive off a cliff. I see so many in the younger generation embracing that killing yourself for work isn't worth it.

Bear...it was a long 10 years of relapse. The main reason none of those quits stuck was that I still wanted to drink. I felt like "poor me". Which turned into "pour me". I am so ever grateful for the book "alcohol lied to me".....I had read Vale and Carr...but, this one stuck in my head. I wasn't giving up anything. Now I hear the words "I don't drink" flow effortlessly from my lips. In a way that no one really questions it.

Bear...my job is one that can consume you for many hours past quitting time. Recently I have been religous about going to hot yoga at the end of my work day. Any thought of work is sucked out of me....and it gives me "real mind time off" time. So much needed. ...and makes a huge difference for me.

Just read there is going to be 50,000 people at this little pumpkin fest. Not telling hubby.

Speaking of hubby we just recently had it out. I mean throw down and him sleeping on the couch. We now are on the mend....and lots of shit that was bottled up is out....and good is coming from it.

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

Good morning Abbers!

It's a frosty 28 degrees here - that 4 degrees below freezing on the old Fahrenheit scale, Brrr!
              But the sun is here so it will warm up, I'm sure

TT, I only have one daughter & survived the hormonal teen years with her. Somehow she manages to show up here in those weird moods but at least now I know she will go home :H
              My Mom & aunt were stateside during the war but they did travel & work many hospitals in the country.

SF, hope you enjoy your pumpkin festival
              It's cold here up north!!!

bear, I am fairly certain that we all wanted the magic bullet, an instant cure when we quit. Unfortunately things don't work that way. Just be confident in the knowledge that your outlook & ability to see things as they really are will improve little by little each & every day

Mick, hope your weather isn't too bad - geez!
              I feel fortunate that we didn't have any hurricane Sandy-like storms this fall. The poor folks on the coast are still dealing with the after effects of that storm one year ago.
              Well, my daughter & granddaughter have been here twice this week but have gone home, so no overnight stays. I think my daughter is on overload with her classwork & dealing with the busy Ms Lily & other stuff :H
              The current plan is for me to go pick up Lily tomorrow morning & bring her here for the day & her parents will retrieve her in the evening. I absolutely have to finish up the costume sewing for the boys today - busy, busy!

Greetings to everyone, sending wishes for a wonderful AF Saturday!
              pauly, hope you are Ok.

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

A very wise lady told me to get my arse back here to have it thoroughly kicked. Well, no, actually she said something about pestering the hell outta me. Pester away. I'm back.

Hope you are all well.
                Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

hey sunshine good to see you again, hope all is good with you
                  one day at a time

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

:H :H So you did hear me Sunni!!!
                    Aren't you glad I stalk you on Facebook too?? :H
                    We are happy to have you back. I've borrowed some butt Velcro from the Newbies Nest - you know what to do with it, right?

PS: Thanks for calling me wise - not old :H
                    The grannies have to stick together!
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

whew! heya ABers!

a really tired left-over of a dude here. still in hotel and had another really long day at the conference which goes right through the weekend.

horribly AL cravings this evening that are just scaring the crap out of me. called my dear Dx and she talked me off the ledge. damn I hate this. the combination of being so tired, stressed out, the big bosses here from out of town/performance anxiety and extended hotel times with 500 power drinkers is just a hell of a combination for my sorry ass. sorry to whine. Made it another night, going to listen to some hypno and conk out and get some better sleep tonight. babysitting the drunk morons in the hospitality suite last night was amusing.

Sunshine! so very nice to see you dear.

DJR, that was a frightful story you recounted a couple days ago. hugely impressed with your 30+ years to say the least!

must sleep.....

be well friends
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

Det - do not jump.
                        Stay away from the ledge
                        Hugs

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

Det, isn't it funny how quickly the power drinkers turn into drunken morons (certainly happened to me often enough).

Good AF Sunday, all. Weather report from my side: we have beautiful blue skies again!
                          14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Saturday aF 26 October

Det - please don't give in. Listen to your wife.

Nice to see you again Sunshine!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X