Monday AF 28 October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday AF 28 October

MAE everyone. (SunshineGG, this stands for Morning, Afternoon Evening).
    Tis morning here ? before 6am, birds doing their chirpy thing, wind blowing their equinoxal gales. Its Labour Day, rubbish day, Monday where I am.

Sorry I was missing yesterday ? nothing weird, just busy writing a paper, went to the refuse dump (tip) and took the girl shopping (again!). Not all at once! :H Lots of fun with her chatting about things she has learned in school and chats about life, the universe etc. Then when I got home just too tired to post.

Seems there were a few AL scares during the past few days.
    Pauly ? how are you doing my dear? Are you still drinking? It sounded like you decided that you would nick this early-on ? so let?s hope so.

Det ? hope the sleep killed those evil thoughts. Its great that Dx could talk you down.
    I am fortunate that my partner is good at this too (that's if I bother to listen to him) but these days (touch wood) we haven?t needed those AL conservations.

Here?s some news about Alkies in NZ ? but read this carefully before you think I live in booze-hell ? it equates US guidelines for ?alcohol use disorder? (that's very inclusive) with ?alcoholic?. Scare media tactics IMO. The problem is that many people baulk at the word alkie and think it does not apply to them. That's not the way to reduce binge drinking. I also think binge drinking is a misnomer because many middle aged people who drink equate binge drinking with young people. So these ?them? and ?us? labels don?t always reach out to the ?general public?.

One In 10 Kiwis Fit Diagnosis As Alcoholics | Stuff.co.nz

When I read this article in another newspaper it was placed beside a list of 10 things to do for summer ? one was changing from drinking heavy red wines to lighter ones (and they don?t mean lighter AL content). Bloody hypocrisy!

Seems I have filled up my quota of rants today and I have drunk (bad word choice!) all of the tea (oops sorry folks) ? so I might sign off and make the coffee but will send big waves to Mick, Lav, Yah, Sam, Bear, SF, SL, and the rest of the crew.
    Have a great week and soberistic Monday!

Monday AF 28 October

TT read the article. The most surprising thing really was they noted the growing problem, but instead of putting money into early intervention.....they are just going to wait until the problem gets worse. I am sure the article falls on many deaf ears. Hard to recognize a problem when everyone else is doing it. Those tests are stupid. I always felt like only a nondrinker could pass those

Pumpkin Festival was a bit overcrowded to enjoy. Really just a bunch of arts and crafts.

Yoga Festival was awesome. Five hours of yoga flew by. Went to a three hour meditation class with my son this morning and we had a great time. It's nice when its something like that and he thanks me for taking him. He recently started meditating on his own to help relieve stress. It was a pretty cool experience, I just need to make it routine.

Bear...so much energy!

Det good for you reaching out for help. Those situations have to be tough to be in. Sucks when it's part of the job and you are trapped.

Lav, GG, Mick, YAH, Sam.....and everyone I missed.

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

Hey TT and SF
      even though it is still the 27th here I thought I'd maybe post in the future!
      TT it would seem that in quite a few places, drink is so "normal". Then suddenly you wake up and there are guidelines of who is and who isn't. But we all really know the deal, are you able to stop? What good is "a drink"? Are you feeling like shit all the time till you drink again? I was thinking this the other day how hard I tried for about a year to stop and did/could not. And the other day I was very tempted and mentally revisited how hard it is to quit and how there is no way in hell I could have one beer, it is more like could I only drink one 6 pack. Did I really want to put myself through that struggle again, hell no.
      Get us Alkies to write the question-aire to see if you drink too much. Just my ramblin thoughts.

SF, what kind of yoga was it? My wife teaches yoga class, I never knew there were so many variations.

Hey Mick, saw on the BBC site you all are having a bit of weather. When you posted about it, I didn't realize it was such a large storm. Hope you're doing well.

Det, hope you're doing well there and beating the beast back. Keep him at bay!

hellos to Cinders, Lav (what about those rats in the chicken house? see 100 days), Bear, YahYah, and all those I forget, and lurkers too!
      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

MAE......I'm just heading to bed. Going back to work tomorrow. First day back since I passed out last week. I'm sure it will be a busy one. (FYI - not alcohol related - probably some inner ear thing.)

Nice to be able to drop in here. Thank you all for the warm welcome.
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

Hey Nora
          read your posts on your thread, hope you're doing/ feeling ok.
          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

HI Guys -Its not so much an AL craving (feels different to that) I have but I feel like getting buzzed. I am not anxious or stressed at the moment but I am tired. Can't go to sleep just yet (its only 6pm and I have to do things) and I don't actually feel like chilling out. I don't want to be calmed down.
            It is the time of the day when in the old days I would be drinking wine (and getting a lift/buzz from it).
            Of course I know the consequences and I am not about to actually get buzzed/pissed/drunk etc.
            But thought I should post about this - cos it aint a good thing to feel this way. This will pass.

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

All OK now. I uploaded some food!

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

Hey TT,SF,Samstone and Nora
                Day 38 for me today - I can't quite believe it!

Waking up to aftermath of big storm, lucky to still have electricity and be unhurt.
                Cats are staying in today and I have cancelled an evening meeting miles away from home.Tonight I will be going to spinning, not feeling like it right now - but then I have only been awake for 30 minutes!I'm reading a worry book which is quite helpful ,breaks down worries into real(which you can do something about) and hypothetical, which aren't real which they recommend you look at the theme behind the worry.I also think my primary problem is worry and depression has been caused by my worry and anxiety.Interesting and helpful.
                Happy Monday everyone - 2 weeks until I am off for 2 weeks, can't wait!
                one day at a time

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

mae ....how is everyone?Jeez Monday is already half full and its only 0655...Yes we are in the middle of a teensy weensy weather front over here...its blowing a hooley and raining to match .so a big thanksto all those around the Gulf of Mexico for the pressie.

Tea n coffee on the go ..since tt (aptly named)drank the last.

Hiya TT how are you?3 separate posts..wow are your fingers attracted to the keyboard???
                  That article on the alkies label was quite interesting,tho as Sam says,worldwide a lot of people would fit that category...and every now and again someone pipes up about how harmful drinking is and that we should control it , put prices up etc ...and then it all goes quiet.I have yet to hear someone speak on the economic downturn on global finance if they did away with booze The taxation on it is phenomenal and so lucrative..to the extent that the Government tracks down and penalizes those that make their own!...I am woffling on now!!are you/were you at work today?hope all went well

Hiya SF ..you ok? 5 hours of yoga...you not aching after that?Re the drinking problem,its called ostrich syndrome!!head in the sand time ..what problem???still think finance has got a large part to play in it..look at this tho..we agree quite large % of the worlds population drink, and has humans we in a lot of cases are very weakwilled and would in chosen circumstances..and yet..

People drink, to the extent of causing regular harm to themselves .We hospitalise them ,threat them at great cost..and bang ,,out the go to do it again and again.

People drink, cause incidents damage,violence.Again ..what do we do?lock them up..approx 73%of all criminal acts are cause either through or as a consequence of al..whether it be direct or via acquisition..and then they are released and the circle starts again.

Drink driving....globally about 5-6% of accidents are caused thru al impaired drivingWhy in this day of technology have we not got an intoximeter or such like fitted into cars ..which will not all ow those with al in their system to drive?

No where do we address the cause..agreed I am just generalising ...but ask your kids the same thing ..bet you get different answers

Sorry about taggin that on to your post SF, but had to put it somewhere!!!

You my dear have a great day...what hours are you on today?

Hiya Nora C ...welcome nice to see you...you feeling ok?I go through dizzy crappy spells,but I know what mine is, and I know when they are coming on..you on any meds that could cause it as a side effect?

Yo Sam hows you today ?? yep weather not so clever today..sure I will find something to do

Hiya bear ...well done you on day 38 excellent.Glad weather has blown out ..hopefully ours will too.

Hiya Lav....you ok..?sounds like you had a fun day yesterday..both of you..You sure youre a grown up?:H..ha this head is too far away for you to slap!!!Have some coffee.Any plans for today?have a good one .

Hiya sunshine ..you ok?ready for the human hurricane? best of luck

Hiya yah ..you ok?clocks back next weekend?Once you have done that ..then you know the season is on the change!!Hows things with you ? all working out?

Coupla people not posted ..but will mensh them anyway...

Hiya ppqp..you ok? had a good weekend?And now back to the grindstone ...dont forget your "you" time

Cinders ..hows you ? hope all is well with you .

Det ..things ok with you mate after that crap tempting run in with al?you can do it mate.

right off we go ..have a good one.

9/7724/ru2v.jpg" alt="" />

A blonde phoned police to report that thieves had been in her car. "They've stolen the dashboard, the steering wheel, the brake pedal, even the accelerator," she cried out. However, before the police investigation could start, the phone rang a second time and the same voice came over the line. "Never mind, I got in the back seat by mistake."

One day at the end of class, little Johnny's teacher asks the class to go home and think of a story to be concluded with the moral of that story. The following day the teacher asks for the first volunteer to tell their story. Little Suzy raises her hand. "My dad owns a farm and every Sunday we load the chicken eggs on the truck and drive into town to sell them at the market. Well, one Sunday we hit a big bump and all the eggs flew out of the basket and onto the road." When the teacher asked for the moral of the story, Suzy replied, "Don't keep all your eggs in one basket." Little Lucy went next. "My dad owns a farm too. Every weekend we take the chicken eggs and put them in the incubator. Last weekend only eight of the 12 eggs hatched."; Again, the teacher asked for the moral of the story. Lucy replied, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch." Next up was little Johnny. "My uncle Ted fought in the Vietnam war, and his plane was shot down over enemy territory. He jumped out before it crashed but could only take a case of beer, a machine gun and a machete. On the way down, he drank the case of beer. Then he landed right in the middle of 100 Vietnamese soldiers. He shot 70 with his machine gun, but then he ran out of bullets! So he pulled out his machete and killed 20 more. Then the blade on his machete broke, so he killed the last ten with his bare hands." The teacher looked a little shocked. After clearing her throat, she asked what possible moral there could be to this story. "Well," Johnny replied, "Don't fuck with Uncle Ted when he's been drinking."

Two programmers after work, talking in a pub: - You will never believe me when I tell you what happened to me yesterday. I met a very nice blonde in a bar. - And what did you do ? - I invited her to my place, we had some drinks and then the girl asked me to undress her. - Are you kidding me ? And what did you do then ? - I got her blouse and her dress off and then i got her to sit on my office, right next to my new laptop. - Oh, you got a new laptop. What model and what are its specifications ?

A drunken man staggers into a catholic church and sits down in a confession box but says nothing. The bewildered priest coughs to attract his attention, but still the man says nothing. The priest then knocks on the wall three times in a final atempt to get the man to speak. Finally the drunk replies - "No use knockin' mate - there's no paper in this one either".

The cop got out of his car and the kid, who was stopped for speeding, rolled down his window. "I've been waiting for you all day," the cop said. The kid replied, "Yeah, well I got here as fast as I could." When the cop finally stopped laughing, he sent the kid on his way without a ticket.

Dave took Mary out for a romantic dinner where conversation turned to the subject of marriage. Dave had been saving for an engagement ring, but he was in graduate school and in dire need of a new computer. Mary was understanding, telling Dave they had the rest of their lives to get engaged, so he should use his savings to buy a computer instead. During dessert, Dave suddenly reached into his pocket and pulled out an engagement ring. Mary was stunned, but after she collected herself, she looked up and prompted: "Well, don't you have something to ask me?" Dave then got down on bended knee. "Honey," he said, "Will you buy me a new computer?"

Early one morning a mother went to wake up her son. "Wake up, son. It's time to go to school!" "Buy why, Mom? I don't want to go." "Give me two reasons why you don't want to go." "Well, the kids hate me for one, and the teachers hate me, too!" "Oh, that's no reason not to go to school. Come on now and get ready." "Give me two reasons why I *should* go to school." "Well, for one, you're 52 years old. And for another, you're the PRINCIPAL!"

A woman and her husband interrupted their vacation to go to the dentist. ?I want a tooth pulled, and I don?t want no vacaine because I?m in a big hurry,? the woman said. ?Just extract the tooth as quickly as possible, and we?ll be on our way.? The dentist was quite impressed. ?You?re certainly a courageous woman,? he said. ?Which tooth is it?? The woman turned to her husband and said, ?Show him your tooth, dear.?

The math teacher saw that little Johnny wasn't paying attention in class. She called on him and said, "Johnny! What are 2 and 4 and 28 and 44?" Little Johnny quickly replied, "NBC, FOX, ESPN and the Cartoon Network!"

One afternoon, Ethel noticed something funny about Mabel?s ear and she says, ?Mable, did you know you?ve got a suppository in your left ear?? Mable answered, ?I have a suppository in my EAR?? She pulled it out and stared at it. Then she said, ?Ethel, I?m awfully glad you saw this thing. Now I think I know where my hearing aid is.?

Any folks from Chicago??

Mommy Bear and Daddy Bear were in divorce court. The judge looked down and asked the Baby Bear, "So Baby Bear, do you want to live with Daddy Bear?" "Oh, no," Baby Bear replied, "I don't want to live with Daddy Bear. He beat me." "Well then, you should live with Mommy Bear," answered the judge. "On, no, I don't want to live with Mommy Bear. She beat me." "Well then, Baby Bear, who do you want to live with?" Baby Bear said, "I want to live with the Chicago Bears. They don't beat anybody!"
                  af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

Good Monday morning Abbers

The coffee is good & the sun is out warming up the earth to something above freezing

TT, I have a read a lot about the new DSM of the APA. I think it's fair to say that we all qualify as case studies :H My DIL is finishing up her Master's level studies in Social Work & I truly believe she will have no shortage of clients in her future :H
                    I only hope that the world will turn it's back on AL someday soon like it did for tobacco.

Greetings SF, Sam, bear, Nora & everyone!

Mick, glad to see you still have power. Our news is reporting your storm situation as 'historic' & a lot of folks have lost power
                    It's hard to be completely grownup with you spend a day with a bouncy, happy little girl :H
                    I am so grateful that I am still here & able to fully enjoy these grandkids!

I have lots of work waiting for me toady but first a trip to Curves is in order.
                    Wishing everyone a great AF Monday. Greetings to all the Abbers!!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

MAE (Hah!) Fabbies!

Slowly getting going here, busy day today. Work, then bringing in the rest of the wood for the winter, possibly entertaining Hurricane Landen (grand peanut #2) this afternoon, and AA meeting tonight. Just typing that makes me think of a nap

Well, here I go. Have a grand day, everyone!
                      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

Yes Lav....tis I....I still have the power!!!!! ok ok ...me with a wig and coupla pounds extra :H:H:H

af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

Oh great Mick - glad to see you have 'the power' :H :H
                          Don't go abusing that power now :H
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

Yes Lav....tis I....I still have the power!!!!! ok ok ...me with a wig and coupla pounds extra :H:H:H

Bit of advice Mick.........ditch the wig

Seriously

Ditch the wig:H
                            Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

Monday AF 28 October

Wood done, maybe there's time for a wee nap, after all.

TT... glad you got over the feeling - food does often seem to help.

Mick... I have to agree with Softy... the 'do' isn't doing ya any favours! :H
                              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X