• Show
Clear All

Monthly Club

How do you join the monthly club?
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Monthly Club

Hi retteacher,

You don't officially 'join' - you just hop in and join the daily thread. It's a great support tool.

Comment

Monthly Club

I really have let my self down again , i hate my self , i hate drinking , I want a better life for myself , why is this so hard to do ???? to stop , any one any suggestions one day at a time , i think i need to say to my self im not drinking to day ,

Comment

Monthly Club

Hello bgg,

First of all you have to stop hating yourself and start to love yourself..

Its easy to abuse or ill treat something we hate, but when you love something or someone, then you only want the best for them...

The next step is to realise that you can't do this alone... A large part of this programme is just coming on here and interacting by posting and reading, the support you will recieve is second to none,,

Are you taking any meds or supplements to help curb the cravings ?? Have you downloaded and read RJ's book ?? Those are the practical things to do... I don't take any meds like Topa or Campral, but I do take supplements.. The Kudzu and L-Glutamine especially are excellent, also I would suggest Amino Acids ( go onto Google and put in a search for them, it's amazing how important they are to the body ) Evening Primose Oil and a daily Multi-Vitamin...

Finally, you need plenty of things to do to distract your mind, especially when you have a craving for a drink.. Don't just sit there wanting one, get up and do something, anything, go for a walk, do a jigsaw, clean the kitchen cupboards, sit down and start to write your Christmas present list, anything to take your mind off it during the early stages..

As time goes on you will find it easier not to drink, and remember, a craving, no how matter how long it lasts WILL NOT KILL YOU, BUT, ALCOHOL WILL...

Hope that helped,

Love, Louise xx
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Monthly Club

Hi Retteacher - you've joined! Nice to see you here -

Hi Bgg,

Ditto everything Irish said! - you're a special person and you deserve the life you dream for yourself - now's the time to turn the dream into a reality.

You say you want a better life - well, what do you want? When I changed the focus from 'I don't want to drink' to 'I want to be there for my kids', 'I want to re-join life', 'I want to feel good about myself', 'I want to get healthy', 'I want to get rid of these constant arguments in my head', 'I want to study'.... I found that it was easier to focus beyond the drink and onto the positive.

Then start putting some of them in to practise - start making changes straight away - don't wait for things to happen - you take control - do things that you wouldn't have done if you were drinking.

Also as Irish says - use whatever tools are available to you - try AA if that's an option, try eveything offered here - if you keep an open mind you'll gradually find the support system that works for you. And keep coming here! It's so invaluable to finding the support, understanding, motivation, inspiration and friendship

So be strong, have confidence, start one small step at a time and you'll be surprised at how quickly the distance mounts up. Don't forget, though, that journeys are rarely linear - you may go forward, backwards, or get to a place to just rest a while - it's all part of the process and journey.

Warmest wishes and good luck with the first steps! :l
          :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
          Goals:
          Days 1-7 DONE
          Days 8-14 DONE
          Days 15-21 DONE
          30 days DONE
          60 days
          100 days

Comment

Monthly Club

Hi bgg,

I can only concur with what Irish lady and Arial have said. I've only been here a week now,but logging on regularly and posting/reading has been invaluable.

Like Irish lady I am not doing any of the meds, but I am on the supps and firmly believe they are helping.

Arial, your points on focussing on what you want are so right and so helpful. I had a struggle yesterday and part of it was down to what I've been reading in some self-help books: "Keep your mind on what you want and off what you don't want". Yesterday I was focussing on what I wanted: staying off alcohol. Yet ironically this forced me to think about it. Thanks for the wisdom my friend.

Raoul

PS Good Luck bgg. Hopefully see you around the boards.

R

Comment

Monthly Club

Hello All,
              I can't say more than Irish and Arial have said so well.
              I had another lie-in this morning and watched the London marathon.
              It's day 22 AF for me and I'm still feeling good.
              I'm going to take Stan (my dog) for a good long walk to see my daughter and her baby shortly.
              I hope you all have a peaceful Sunday.

Comment

Monthly Club

Popeye,
                I salute you! I am on day 8 and I aspire to be up there in the double figures with you.

Enjoy your day with the family.

Raoul

Comment

Monthly Club

thanks for all your support , feeling positive just now and will get there , i will keep posting

Comment

Monthly Club

Keep posting...great advice.

Hey all, hada rough day yesterday, don't know what it was. But i made i through, I knew I would, but the feeling just sucked while it lasted. Today is day 100, so never thought I would get there, it is due to all your support, so thank you all.

Have a wonderful day everyone,

Victoria
                    It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                    James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Monthly Club

Welcome retteacher,

Paddy has such a hard time NOT to crack a joke about the monthly club that you do not believe! I am so dying to type something aaaaaaaaah (Tawny, Macks retain me). There it's passed!

Well, this week as jinxed as it was has ended, thanks God! It's funny, while some of you (like ole Popeye the sailor who's on the mend, congrats my mate) seem to be doing great, for a number of us the week was not so great. So folks, I'm sure next week will be better.

Kitkatsue - hang in there! Hugs
                      Victoria - you'll be fine (but watch it - Monday is the root of all evil, so sleep in ;-) or get up pretty early a go for a run to get those endorphins going (or whatever you call those dolphins)
                      Raoul - 2 more days!
                      bgg - don't hate yourself! Just be patient
                      Arial - t'as encore de l'argent qui te reste pour faire les magasins? Ou c'est fini pour ce mois? ;-)
                      Paddy
                      Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Monthly Club

Paddy I was getting worried and almost performed the Heimlich manouver but then realized you were speaking French.....

Victoria big congrads on the 100 AB fab days! wow.

Happy Sunday to you all, newbies, veterans and in between! My shoot got rained out today and I'm not letting that bum me out....the yard needed the rain anyhow.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Monthly Club

Sunday, Apr. 22

Happy Sunday
                          Congrats Vic
                          :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X