Gentle January ~ AF Week 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyn and Jolie, just to put your mind at rest - it's a massive storage dam that is built to overflow capacity - there is some technical term for it - anyway, the sluices are open, plus it's flowing into a spillway, no danger to us (except for the farmers further down whose lands will be flooded by now, but they're not supposed to farm on the spillway area).
    14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Greetings Friends,
      I survived the stress and chaos of the family visit with the grace granted me thru being AF! It was wonderful to see my daughter and her family and for the cousins to reconnect. I will admit that I was frazzled with all the extra commotion but it was all worth it!

Lav, so sorry you had to cancel your plans for today. I was amazed tha YB suggested this outing to the Farm Show. It seems he is making his way back to the land of the living! He is darn lucky that you have kept a life line open to him thru all his weirdness, IMO.

Pap, I never joined the WFS website but I did join the Rational Recovery website which I found quite valuable. I also read the book a few years back. But I never got into the RR community like I did the MWO community. Hey, good job on starting the FB page and thanks for the link!

Star, Thanks for reposting the affirmations from the WFS that you found on the other thread. I read them yesterday and they helped me calm myself and re focus during the chaos. :h

Cyn, congrats on the progress with the wall. I think I would enjoy listening to the documentaries you mentioned. But I have no clue what Apple TV is!:H Looks like I'll have something to google... BTW, yes you did post about your head injury/fall. I hope you are feeling much better and that the headaches go away!

DTD, I wonder if the grape farmers getting flooded will raise the price of wine in your area? Good deterrent to buying I guess, but you don't seem to need it. You are doing so well you don't need the external deterrent anyway!

Hello Jolie, you sound really strong and positive!

Rusty, we finally had our rib roast! OMG, it was delicious! Definitely a great new tradition.

Have a peaceful and AF Friday evening everyone!
      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Morning friends!

So good to hear you enjoyed your daughter's visit, Dill. Not sure what the effect of the rain will be on prices - it all depends on whether the grapes were really affected, I guess. About the doing well - had a really bad couple of hours yesterday, out of the blue, but I made it through. But yes, I have been extremely lucky with regards to cravings; I think mainly because of my mindset - and lots of stubbornness.

Coffee delivered whenever you wish, Lav - just shout. And no, not a chance of ice, thank goodness.

Oh Cyn, the joys of overcomplicated technology! Please listen to your osteopath and take it easy for a while (can you, though?) and go for tests if the headaches don't go away. I love opera and classical music, and other music for the lyrics - if I can't hear the lyrics, or are so inane that I feel like bashing my head against the wall - well, not much airtime for such music chez Dreamy.

Jolie, has your weather started to improve yet? I'm a wallpaper-hater - and stripping them is almost as bad as putting them up.

Lazy Sat here - some gardening, some big-batch cooking, some laundry but mostly doing nothing planned for today.

Have a lovely Saturday, each and everybody!

Comment

Good morning to all...

Dill, good to hear from you, those intensive visits are just that, intense. But, it is always good to see our kids, and for you, grandkids too. The WFS affirmations are amazing and inspiring, so supportive. I do better with positive statements, it helps me to not get down on myself. How is your son doing and is he home? Hope things with him are moving forward.

My big news is my son is again moving out. I am low key about it, hope he can manage, but am staying out of it. He found a place on his own that I think is a better idea as roommates for him have been a disaster: liars and moochers. I need the break from him, truly. I want peace, and love him dearly but it is time, past time. It always takes him several more tries than others. His eye issue cleared up, thank goodness and he is back to work. So, I am focusing on enjoying him being gone working for the weekend, will clean my house, do a little shopping, and enjoy my peace and quiet. I deserve it.

Lav, too bad the weather cancelled your plans, we have had a lot of that around here. Yesterday rain, the temperature changes are just huge, so doing my best to keep healthy. I have really been enjoying the articles on GreenMindBody site you recommended. Thanks.

Dreamthinkdo, you sound at peace, happy to just take care of business at home and relax. I think not drinking we have to get used to just BEING and it is OK. Not the false excitement alcohol would promise. Less ups and downs. All good.

Cyn, so sorry you are suffering from headaches. You are tough, working so hard and feeling sick. I guess your doctor has insisted you listen to your body. I have had to do that recently, with getting acute bronchitis, that I know was brought on by stress. I had to make myself just sit on the couch and watch TV, read, and let my body and mind relax. We deserve it, so don't feel guilty. It really helped with the healing, too.

I got up super early, doing laundry, will clean and go out before noon. Hope you all have a great Saturday.
          Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well done DTD on riding it out instead of caving!!

Star, wonderful news about your son. I think I know exactly how you are feeling: hopeful, fearful, excited, tired, pleased, worried......
            Cyn, E. Roosevelt has some of the best quotes!

Up and out early, will try to be back.
            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good morning friends,

Got up before my girls so I'm enjoying some coffee in peace & quiet
              Rain & fog going on here at the moment, better than ice & snow, that's for sure.

Star, glad to hear your son is moving on again. You've been through a lot with him, you're a good Mom
              Keep the faith that he will find his own way. Some struggle more than others & that's hard to witness, I know.

DTD, please go enjoy your sunshine then report back for us, please?!! :H

cyn, how are you feeling today?
              papmom, how about you?

Dill, I hope you can restore your mind peace now that the visitors are gone. I do know how hectic it is having everyone together but it is fun!

Hello to everyone else. I hope we all have a good AF Saturday!!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Morning Friends,

I am stuck in Chicago....my plane to Salt Lake City has been delayed twice, so probably Won't get to Idaho Falls until late tonight. Oh well. It feels good to handle these hiccups AF. Drinking made me irritable and impatient. Besides, a very good-looking and nice man has been keeping me company in the Sky Club. Don't get excited for me. He is married and married men are not my cup of tea.

Jolie-removing wallpaper....ugh. I have two wallpapered rooms in my home that I inherited, and I am just leaving it. I can live with it. I'm with you, though. From now on, all paint.

Lav-sorry about the Farm Show but I'm glad Ms. Lily and your daughter could spend the night and keep you company.

Dream...you're coming up pretty fast here on 3 months AF.:goodjob: What differences have you noticed....physically and mentally, since becoming AF?

Dill-so glad you enjoyed all 3 grandkids and thank you for the Eleanor Roosevelt quote.

Star-I prefer WFS to the AA philosophy....and I agree with you...much more positive.

Cyn-get thee to a doctor ASAP and see if you can get a CT scan. Headaches following a concussion are not good! I'm worried about you.

Pap-thank you for the heart-healthy recipes. Mucho appreciated!

Big hellos and hugs to Sunni and Satz, and anyone I have missed.

I'm going to see if my plane will be leaving soon. At least I'm getting work done and I could check in with all my friends here. I hope everyone is having a happy AF Saturday. I'll see you tomorrow.

Comment

Hello all!

No internet this morning, so had to do a couple of at-home fixes, but finally got it up and running again.

Sorry to worry everyone; I think the headache was weather-related (or paint related?), I'm much better today (despite this craaaaazy 50 degrees and rain!? Huh?) I fell in mid-November (thanks Dill for letting me know - you see I really was a little nutty for a while - I don't remember posting about it!), and took some days off then, so I think all is well. I did some research on supplements, however, because all my muscles are really gripped and tight, despite my regular magnesium supps, stretching, etc. So I think the long autumn just took its toll, and I need to bump up the self-care for a while.

Dream - congrats on surfing beyond the urge - great job! Dill, congrats on getting through all the wonderful chaos! Rusty - good luck getting out of Chicago, no need to worry about me. Star - what great news about your son! I'm sending good vibes your way - I so hope that this time it works out. Lav's right - you are a darn good Mom. PMom, good job on the FB page - I'm finally on FB, so now I can take a look. Lav - so sorry about the cancellation, but yes, you really did the right thing. So glad you're having time with your girls. Dill, thanks for the ER quote, what a fascinating woman; what changes she made in her life. Hello to Jolie, DDiamond and anyone that I forgot - excuse me! Hope all are having a great AF Saturday night. I'm off to paint some more...
                  to the light

Comment

cyn,
                    I do remember you posting about your fall & hitting your head. I didn't want to say anything yesterday & stress you out further
                    I TOTALLY understand forgetting stuff right after a head injury - boy, do I ever? :H
                    I have to ask my daughter about the supplement she's using to treat her arthritis/fibromyalgia. I am fairly certain it is a Ayurvedic supplement called Triphala Guggulu.
                    It was supposed to go to 63 degrees here today, not sure if it did. It poured rain like crazy & we did have thunder & lightning - crazy!!! Hope you continue to feel better

Rusty, travel has been a pain in the butt for everyone this winter. hope you make your destination soon.

Well, the girls have gone home, now I'm sitting here staring at YB
                    Have a great AF night one & all.
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning friends

Just a quick explanation: blue skies, green leaves, the white circle on the LH side is called the sun. Hope you see all of these again soon...

I was invited for a braai by friends of mine, looking forward to it. I've become a bit of a hermit, something that needs changing...

Have a lovely AF Sunday, each and everybody.

Comment

And while Photobucket seems to be playing nicely - this is a rural Zambian village, taken while on a heli flip over Vic Falls. Each family lives in a separate compound, with a sleeping hut and a cooking hut. I think the rectangular structure might be a school being built.

Comment

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.

~Eleanor Roosevelt

I thought that was a delightful E.R. quote! Star, I think you have made a strong brew over these past few months! LOL! Me too for that matter.

DTD, thank you so much for the pics! I gazed at that warm sunlight playing off those leaves for a moment and it was a wonderful reminder. The village was interesting to see. I read a book once years ago called Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. The book described a typical village in Nigeria which is why your photo brought it to mind. Anyway, t was set in the late 1800's and depicted the clash between the white colonial government and the indigenous peoples, bringing the life and culture of those people to life. It was an excellent novel altho a tragic one. Have you read it?

Star, Have you read it? Is your son done with the move? I so look forward to that day. Third time's a charm, they say. I'm glad your son's vision cleared up and he is back in the game. Now that mine is back home there are some difficult dynamics developing. I thought of you juggling yours. Any advice would be welcomed.

Lav, did YB stay the night?!!! I know it's none of my business, but I just had to ask! No answer really expected.

Rusty, I hope you made it to your destination and had a good rest. The first thing I thought of while reading your post about being in the sky club was, "How does she do that?". I mean I don't know if I could have gone AF while still being put in situations like airport delays and killing time in the Sky Club! I guess I am glad I was never tested in that way. Kudos to you, GF!

Cyn, I totally understand not remembering Novemeber. Aside from your fall, you were totally drowning in work and pressure! I'm surprised you posted at all, but glad you did.:l I am really happy to be hearing from you on a more regular schedule, too. How is Mr. Cyn doing? Is he home or travelling? Does Mr. C drink or has he gone AF in support of you? Don't answer if I'm getting too personal.

Pap, Jolie, DD, Lurkers, have a great AF Sunday.
                          Dill

Comment

Good morning to all...

DTD, thanks for the cool pictures. Africa looks so different than what I am used to, very interesting. I loved the blue sky and sun picture too. Hope you had fun going out with friends. I find it is OK to be AF when out, easier actually, after the first AF drink is in hand. I say this because I listen better, keep my wits about me, and just enjoy myself more AF. I am me, not influenced by a chemical. Later, no regrets, too. So, hope your social time was fun.

Dill, my son is supposed to move out 2/1. I do not know what to tell you about the difficult dynamics, as I set boundaries and they are just not followed. It has put a tremendous strain on my marriage, I can tell you. Sometimes I get angry and other times I just clean up after him, put stuff in his space, etc. What is going on that is causing you problems? My son does too much, with school and work, and is a slob. He leaves things all over, and then of course you can't find anything and life is a disaster. Where is my phone, work ID, wallet, etc. Like a teenager, only much older and I am tired, tired, tired of it. This morning I wanted to charge my tablet, my cord was not where I left it. I went to his space, and of course found he had taken it. A few days ago I asked him to put his own charger away, and he was rude about it, never did it. So, take my stuff. Believe me I am counting down the days. I love him, don't want to live with him, if that makes sense. Hope your family can get some family counseling outpatient to help with managing his recovery. It is going to be a lot of hard work for all. We had family counseling in the past and it was soooo helpful, I needed to be heard. I don't know if it is that way for you.

Lav, you are so funny, staring at YB. Did you want him to leave? Does he take over the TV? I would think the TV rights would keep him there, besides of course, your charm and beauty.

Rusty, you are so patient, making the best of travel adventures. I agree with you that married men are not a good bet. If there own wives can't trust them, why should anyone else? I am in total agreement that being AF at the airport is much better than under the influence. Safer, too.

Hello to Cyn, Jolie, Pap, and everyone else. Have a good Sunday.
                            Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Good morning friends!

NO Dill - just me & the dogs here this morning :H :H
                              He sat here long enough last night to watch the Saints lose to the Seahawks. I know I am being used for the cable TV :H

DTD, pretty pictures, thanks!
                              I hope you enjoy time with your friends

I have nothing excited planned for the day. I do have to go do some food shopping & am grateful the rain has stopped.

Hello to cyn, star, Rusty, Jolie papmom & everyone. Have a great AF Sunday!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi Star - cross post
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...