Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Tuesday 4 March

Welcome to Tuesday one and all. :welcome:
    By now Mick should be in Vietnam or Cambodia ? probably either contemplating a yummy lunch or recovering from the jet lag and flights.

It seems that some have been niggled a bit lately by the come hither whisper of the AL and nicotine demons. Not too much to worry about but as Lav said its important that we keep vigilent and self aware ? even the old timers like herself. Five years straight seems so long to be AF and I think Lav shows us that its not just the quitting but the life we build afterwards. After the honeymoon of sobriety ? there are more challenges, boredom, maybe temptations ? and a sort of ?so what? ? will it really matter if I have a few drinks? As I posted today on another thread ? that may be fine on the day ? but we know that inevitably we will creep back up to our former levels. For me its not the fear of going back to Day One (because I haven?t thought it out that way) but the fear of gradual escalation, dependency and all the problems that would bring. I know it wouldn?t be an overnight crash or binge for me ? but I sure as hell would kid myself that it was OK ? and before long back to drinking copious amounts of wine. Besides my liver wouldn?t take it and I need the ugly organ for the rest of my life.

Sam ? you must know all about long term sobriety and then long term relapse and quitting again. Hope you are snugly watching the pretty snow.

I warned you that there might be a diatribe! :H

Yah ? I could also relate to your bitter sweet thoughts about Maddie leaving again. Such is the tug we have with the apron strings and children! I like the way you put it ?what I will miss is the fantasy relationship that I have with her?. So true in many of our close relationships. Don?t start smoking ? as a non smoker I can say its horrible and it really messes with your health. You know that, but its always good to have someone nag you ? esp when Maddie is gone. Of course she will be back.

SL ? ?I will keep off the wine if you keep off the ciggies? ? glad that is a joke! :H

Pauly ? hope your Monday was busy. Here in NZ most hair salons close on Mondays ? and Sundays.

Too late here for me to offer any breakfast ? its really cold and wet. Ghastly. But nothing compared to some places. Been watching the news about Crimea.

I better do some things before its dark. Hope you get better sleep SL. My sleeping patterns are more or less permanently screwed-up ?this goes back to pre-AL days. In fact for many years I used AL as a ?sleeping aid? (an aid that started hours beforehand:H). I also messed myself up years ago with sleeping tablets ? so now I just see what the evening will bring sleepwise. Its not too bad. No way in hell would I take a sleeping tablet now.

Some people say the body is a temple. My body is like one of those ruined cities - building a new 'temple' :H:H from the ruins.

You all have a great Tuesday and take care.

AF Tuesday 4 March

Good morning Abbers,

Freezing cold but alive & well here.
    I know for a fact that once this crappy winter weather leaves I will feel more like myself
    Too much cold air & too much snow puts my Lavanitude out of balance - go figure :H :H

I have a big pot of coffee here for anyone dropping in this morning!

Det, glad to hear you are taking steps to manage & balance your life as well!

YahYah, I understand the mixed emotions where the kids are concerned. I love spending time with mine but honestly, living with them long term would be difficult. As long as we all live within an easy driving distance, I'm OK The kids really do need their own space & they need to learn to figure stuff out on their own, just like we did.

Well, I need to get to Curves & the supermarket this morning (I didn't get there yesterday). The heater guy is coming back this afternoon to hook up the humidifier (very dry in here without it) & I have work waiting for me.

I suppose we are all like the phoenix rising from the ashes TT :H
    Have a great AF Tuesday everyone! You too Mick!!!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

Morning all!
      nice cool morning here, looks like a break coming this weekend... temps in the 50's (F).

yes TT, there's always that temptation of going back, like you said, no stranger to me. Even here lately, an old school chum of mine called, talking of a wedding I'm going to this June. He is going as well as many folks I used to go to school with. I've explained to each of them of my quit. They're supportive, it's not them... it's ME. Soooo, I gotta be prepared and one of those ways for me is making myself aware of what's going down here... old friends with lots of memories of the past that much revolved around "the buzz", how I enjoy who am NOW, not then, which really was a good time then a hellish hangover. So its these kinds of thoughts I know will keep me as I want to be.... sober and healthier. Lord, lord I am NOT sliding back into that hell-hole. Screw that!!

That being said... gotta run and hope each enjoy your day in your own way!!
      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

MAE, all, and thanks for all the support!

TT, thanks for your thoughts. Since I stopped smoking, my blood pressure has returned to normal, my allergies are greatly reduced, and I love being able to put a little perfume on in the morning and not worry about smelling like an ashtray! You remind me of all the positives of not smoking.

I appreciate your thoughts on the drinking too. It's the gradual deterioration that would take place to the eventual return to a daily bottle of wine or more. Ugh!

Lav, I think the spring will help those of us here in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast get a grip. It sure has been a hell of a winter. I'm sure you'll be getting your Lavanittude back in no time at all! Curves and errands will get you back on track for today. Thanks for the coffee.

I hope you don't have to work outdoors much today, Sam! This winter has been a real horror to be a farmer! Pretty hard on the animals, too! I'm glad that your friends are supportive about your not drinking. Mine have been too.

I was aggravated last evening because my homeowners association didn't do the usual stellar job of snow removal that I've come to expect. It occurred to me later that they have likely run out of money and then some. I will have to shovel out my own extra parking spot on my own, I suppose. :upset: I'm already achy from shoveling my driveway and stairs.

Anyway, hello and hugs to all to come later, SF, SL, PPQP, Pauly, Det, and anyone I missed.

Oh, and keep the diatribes coming, TT. I happen to love them.

:l
        YahYah
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

No diatribes at the moment -its already Weds here and I think You Guys have sent us your crappy winter weather! Only March and it should be early autumn and we already have had flooding, power cuts in some places and gales that should solve the global energy crisis.
          No snow yet - apart from the high mountains.
          But there isn't climate change going on - some people still insist!:H:H They must live in sealed ziploc bags in the middle of the earth!

Not good weather here either for the grapes and wine industry - but I am not planning to subsidise that!
          My daughter complains that watermelon has been off the shelves this summer.

Yah -my 'gradual escalation' would go over a bottle a day. And that would be on a good night.

Well done Det on trying to get out of the crippling mortgage. I hope selling the house and looking at new jobs doesn't create too much stress - bound to though - so make sure you share it with you loved one.

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

Good morning all!
            Lav, glad to see you are human like the rest of us, but so sorry that the voices are continuing to bug you!ullull
            Hope everyone is good today - and Mick wherever you are, hope you are safe and sound.
            I am feeling good today - I did get sleep. TT - sleeping tablets scare the bejesus out of me, I took the clams forte last night (I got them when I signed up on MWO) and they work once in a while.
            I was reading last night (one of the joys of being AF) and the scene was at a wine tasting. They were discussing different reds, and I was thinking oh, I like that one and that one - but realised that I had no cravings or feelings of depravation - it was wonderful!
            Det - I got out from my mortgage and have started to get financially straight and it is such a relief. It was hard to do to start, but the relief is enormous.
            Building a new temple here too - one day! Got to lose weight and start exercising TT - not just now, doing one thing at a time.
            Hi YAH, Sam and those yet to come...
            “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

Ugh! I just got a letter from my crazy sister--seven handwritten pages long, detailing all that she has done for me over the years, and how everyone (including me now) has betrayed her. Blah, blah, blah. Aside from admitting that she hasn't been perfect as a mother, she takes no responsibility for her part in the outcome of any specific event. I cannot deal with her, and she is a threat to my mental health. My therapist thinks she is just this side of psychotic. Anyway, I will talk to my therapist before I decide whether or not to even respond. Just wanted to share. Aren't you all glad? :yuk:

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

Think it will be good to share with your therapist Yah. Take care

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

Oh YAH - a wise friend told me that friends are the family we chose, and that we don't get to chose family...sorry your sister is doing this to you - do not let her have that sort of control over you...you deserve better:l

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

YoungAtHeart;1634151 wrote: Ugh! I just got a letter from my crazy sister--seven handwritten pages long, detailing all that she has done for me over the years, and how everyone (including me now) has betrayed her. Blah, blah, blah. Aside from admitting that she hasn't been perfect as a mother, she takes no responsibility for her part in the outcome of any specific event. I cannot deal with her, and she is a threat to my mental health. My therapist thinks she is just this side of psychotic. Anyway, I will talk to my therapist before I decide whether or not to even respond. Just wanted to share. Aren't you all glad? :yuk:

Yaaaaaaaa....had a couple of them letters over the years......Her pain body. Agreed... talk with your therapist but If you reply ( I would not).......keep it to a sentence or two and wish her well...lo " In her journey"

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

MAE ALL...

Thought I'd better check in before you send out the search party.

Welcome lead and I think I saw a couple of other newbies on the thread :welcome:

Sorry for not directing my comments to individuals but I've had a couple of stressful days and quite frankly would have to re-read everything to get it straight.

Last night was the topper though when the power company shut off the power due to non payment. (I didn't think they could do that with the temps we've been having) Ask me how happy I was with my son :stomper: Apparently he had paid the bill in the morning (on line) and it hadn't been processed yet. Thank god it was only -17 not -30 like the night before. The kids went out and bought a generator, plunked it on the deck and powered up the internet and their computers. Couldn't get the furnace on as the generator wasn't powerful enough. Spent a sleepless night listening to the generator and waiting for the bylaw cops to ring the bell because of complaints. That didn't happen but I am one tired puppy tonight.

Missed my chance to say bon voyage to Mick...hope you're peeking in now and again. Enjoy your holis. Powers on and with a good nights sleep things should be back to normal for me tomorrow.

Until then have a restful evening all.....PPQP

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

Oh my PPQ - sending you some P's that you have kindly shared with me over the months. Things seem tough just now, and being cold will not help at all - I wish I could come and snuggle and help you stay warm but you will have to manage with psychic :l's and some extra special well used "P's"

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

PPPPPPP PPQP PPPPPP

I'm glad things are back to normal now, PPQP. You sure have been through the wringer. Don't worry about saying hi to everyone; it's enough to know that you are safe and sound.

Thank you, lead and SL. I think I am well on the way to figuring out how to handle it in a way that will address my concerns without taking an inordinate amount of my time or energy. She is such a piece of work, and I think it will be good for me to get my thoughts down on paper. I doubt that she will "get it", but that's her problem, not mine.

Hugs to all. I feel better now.

YahYah

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

((((((PQ))))))
                            Lots of warm hugs coming your way PQ - this winter & all the BS it has dumped on all of us will soon be over!

YahYah, as you know - I have a few crazy relatives too. They all seem to be so damn entitled, don't they? I think we should move them all to one city & build up the walls & let them at each other
                            Don't let your sister take up too much of your head space. I'm getting better & better at keeping my relatives out of my head - practice makes perfect.

Greetings to everyone else tonight!
                            I'd like to share a little bit of my morning with you. I snapped this pic on the road right behind my house. So - why did the turkeys cross the road? :H :H

AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF Tuesday 4 March

Love your turkeys, Lav. They made for a great picture! Maybe they, too, are tired of the snow and wanted to spend some time hanging out in the road???

Comment

Working...
                              X