No announcement yet.

Nippy November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dill, glad to hear you found your black cows before dark- what a story!!!

Papmom just contacted me on Facebook & said she can't get on this site for some reason. I haven't had any problems. I hope she keeps trying!

Cyn, the hiigh of 39 degrees melted the little dusting of snow here. It's back down to 32 at the moment.
    Don't worry about the gutters, they'll be OK

I'm in my shop getting some stuff ready for next week's craft show at Curves.
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Tree-no pic!! can you try to repost? You're welcome about the info. I have to cook all over again on Sunday! maybe sooner-haven't looked at my stash yet today.

Star-I agree with everyone! Stay put this winter-it will go fast and spring is for renewal anyway.

Dill-OMG! What a story! Black cows in the dark of night! Thank goodness you found them!!

Lav-I'm not sure I have the patience to soak all those things!! I'll have to think about it.

We had a dusting here too and it stayed below 40 all day. Now its very cold out there and will be cold all weekend. I'm nesting tonite again-talk myself out of working out pretty easily LOL!

I'm really hating work now. My boss has directed me to spy on the staff. I have to log when they leave their desks, when the are on the phone with personal calls, who visits them in their cubicles etc. I know she is building a case to have them fired but jeez, why do I have to be the bad guy? Because I'm management she tells me and she's not always in the office. Not the way I want to mange a team I'll tell you that. I would be talking to these women and trying to find out what would motivate them to change their behavior. Then if that didn't work, I would lay down the law and not be vague about it. Flat out-if you leave your desk, tell someone where you are going. No personal calls-cell phones off desks. I know they have used and abused the system but to have to resort to spying is just not right. They have both dropped the grievance tho so that says something. Man this is tiring!!

Dill-my dad is 87. He is involved in Power Squadron, started a men's support group at the retirement community for people who are dealing with Alzheimers in their spouses (my mom died of early onset), walks every day and who knows what else he does!! he was playing golf alot up until a week ago. He and my brother were going to try to play on Thurs-haven't heard if they did or not.

Thanksgiving at my brothers!! Whoo hoo!
      New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Good morning...

Pap, forgot to mention the beautiful wall hanging you created. Really great! Your Dad sounds so cute, wonderful he is keeping busy. He seems to like his new living arrangements. I don't want to move, my husband has been complaining. I am staying put for the winter, no doubt. About your work situation, what a nightmare and what a sick way to manage people. I am so lucky in my new job, my boss is really kind and sensible. Do your job and she leaves you alone. Treats you with the respect of an adult and a professional. Could that strategy to spy be against policy?

Dill, nothing like a little drama, eh? Glad the cows are back where they belong. On my third book about Julia Child. After I am done, I want to see if the library has her cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. It would be fun to make a recipe or two. Not the entire book of recipes like the movie. I think a souffle would be fun or some fancy chicken or something. I'll have to see today. Lots of running around to do.

Cyn, couldn't see your picture. We had just a really light dusting of snow and that is fine with me. I like to cook for health, but then sometimes just want a pizza or fish and chips or something. Sweets are what make me really sick, so I have to watch it. Having my daughter and family for a meal on Sunday, want to think of something healthy and delicious. Any ideas?

Lav, this cold weather is really cold. Brrrrrr. I am lucky my new digs are toasty warm. I was looking at baby books, toys, etc., for the holidays. It is so fun. I didn't buy anything, just looked. Wonder what he will be into. Are you keeping busy with your business in this season? Speaking of nutrition, we still juice a few days a week in the morning, and it does wonders to get us the micronutrients we crave. It just makes you feel good. Oh,and my salad a day with homemade dressing is doing alot for my health. Lots of veggies just make your body work well. Hope your feeling well.

Have a good Saturday. I want to put up holiday lights!!

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Comment

Good Saturday morning everyone!

Sunny & 27 degrees here - oh boy!
          No special plans for the day yet, will see what happens
          I do have to go pick up my 2nd week of the farm share. It's fun to open the box & see what's inside!

Greetings Dill, Papmom & Star. I hope everyone has a great AF day!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi all - Happy Saturday! Sorry about the pic - on my computer, there is an 'Attachment' that is clickable and it brings up the pic. I put it in, got bumped off the site and told to sign in again. Did that, re-wrote half of the post, added the pic - saw it briefly, and then when I posted, it was the 'Attachment' link. Sigh.

maybe I needed to click on 'Go Advanced' instead of 'Quick Reply'? I'll try it again.

HB is coming this afternoon for 2 whole nights! So I've cleaned the house already, but now will go out and get more dog supplies and something that a human male might want to eat for dinner (?!kinda lost touch with that kind of meal planning...).

Star - nothing is more fun than a baby at Christmas - enjoy!! Does your HB have a gym membership? That might help the cabin fever this winter. Good luck with that! PMom - good luck with cooking this weekend, I'll be right there with you. Lav - enjoy the Curves sale - those are lucky curve-ettes, eggs in the summer and cute embroidered things in the winter! Dill - hope the cows stayed in the fence this time - good luck with all.

I may be too involved with house stuff for the next few days to post much - I'll be thinking of everybody -
            November snow.jpg

Comment

Wow Cyn! It was a winter wonderland! Thanks for the effort to include the pic, I loved it! Enjoy your time with Mr. Tree. I imagine there will be meat and poultry on your menu for a couple of days!:happy2:

Lav, I love a day without plans! I had none this morning either but the day turned out to be chock full just the same! Nice long walk in the woods, shopping expedition, a little reading, dinner out at Texas Roadhouse, and now some computer time and some TV. Mr. D and I have been watching the Boardwalk Empire series. I remember LBH talked about that show when she used to post, but it was on HBO which we didn't get. Now it is at the library. We're on season 1, episode 4.

Star, you have really read 3 books about Julia? That's interesting in itself! Did the books match up to each other? I like the idea of exploring a topic like that and now to try a few of her recipes! What a great idea! Let me know what recipe(s) you try. Are you going to go to your daughter's house for Christmas this year? It will be your first Christmas as a Grandmother. It will be special, no doubt.

Papmom, OUCH! Being assigned to monitor your coworkers is a tough one. I don't blame you for hating work right now! I'm glad you are going to apply for the job closer to home. I hope you get it. Thanks for telling me about your Dad. I am truly amazed that he is 87 and was still boating! Goodness! He sounds like a really interesting man and one who is living an active life, not just marking time. How long ago did your mom pass away? How long did she struggle with the Alzheimer's?

Have a peaceful AF evening everyone.
              Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Dill, dad has been a boater/sailor all his life. Grew up in Freeport Long Island, NY right on a canal. He just sold his last boat-he just can't deal with the maitenance anymore or the mooring fees and all the expenses. Luckily many people have said he is welcome to crew on their boats from now on. I will miss sailing terribly. My mom passed in 95 or 96, can't quite remember. is that awful? She was officially diagnosed about 1 or 2 years before she passed but we had been dealing with major personality changes and other things for at least 8 years. She was in her early 60's so it was very tough to watch. She was such a social vibrant woman-head of the household.

Cyn-you got actual snow!! Way more than we got in the hills of central MA! Enjoy short time with hubby-I'm sure you will find great meals to cook him. Glad girl dog is doing better.

Star-I believe my boss has the blessings of HR to do this. These 2 women are serial abusers of the benefit system and are now on the President's radar. They can file a grievance about the logging of their activities if they want but I don't think they will win. It just makes for a very toxic environment and I'm sick of it. It's the 3rd toxic environment I've worked in since 2003. It needs to end.
                You will have such a fun holiday season with the new grandbaby!! Love shopping for them!!

Lav-what did you end up doing today? how was the CSA box of goodies?

Brr it was cold today! Had a fun demo today. Only 3 hours tho-company is cutting demos and hours until the new year. At least I was given Nov and Dec gigs when others weren't so I feel grateful.

tomorrow is a day off. Lots of dishes to do and maybe work on the baby blanket for my friend. I also started a hat crochet project-the slouchy hat. Not sure i'm following the pattern correctly but I guess I'll soon see! It works up very fast. If it turns out OK and I don't end up ripping it out, I'll post a selfie fo me wearing it tomorrow. If no pic, you'll know I ripped it out LOL!! Oh and of course, cooking for LM is on the docket as well!

Have a great nite all!!
                New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Good morning...

Nice to see we have been having lots of postings on our thread. Fun. Also, good for us on our journeys.

Cyn, have fun with your hubby, and thanks for the picture. I know snow is beautiful, but after last year, I want little to no snow in my life. We have a snow advisory down here but less than 6 inches, so to me that is bearable. I still have no idea what to make for dinner/lunch. I will look online. Have a fun time with your husband. Your dog must be better better.

Lav, hope your Saturday ended up to be OK. I know your family has been under alot of strain and it just doesn't do away that easily or in such a short time.

Dill, the book I have been reading about Julia Child were 1) standard autobiography, with lots of info and well written; 2) a memoir written with Julia's great grandnephew (her sister's grandson, see I know too much already) and 3) Julia Child Rules by Karen Karbo, a kind of tongue in cheek book, but it was also good. So, I really enjoyed my few weeks learning all about her. I am now reading a book about Gertrude Bell, a woman born in Victorian England, who was interested, traveled too, had adventures in the Middle East. Both Julia and Gertrude had interesting lives because no one would marry them...Julia was tall, and lucked out in the end with Paul Child. But, poor Gertrude (or lucky Gertrude) would not settle. Then, when she found a guy, daddy didn't approve and back then, rich daddy was the king. Anyway, both lives are so interesting and I am enjoying reading about good ole Gertrude.

Pap, I did join a health club yesterday, and my first goal is to go 2x a week for a month, then try to increase visits. So, I am trying to make great changes like you did last year. But slowly. Glad you have today off. Your creativity is amazing. Enjoy being at home with your wonderful pets today.

So, off I go to figure out something to eat and food for the week. Then to two stores. But, no snow so far. Have a great Sunday.

Comment

Good morning friends,

Cloudy & chilly here today, rain moving in tomorrow, oh well.

Dill, sounds like you have a good deal of balance going in right now, that's great!
                    Life is so much better when we feel balanced, don't you think? I really try to be aware of & grateful when I feel that balanced feeling

Wow Cyn, you really did get the real snow. Way too early for that stuff.
                    Glad to hear your husband is home for a few days, enjoy your time together.

Papmom, I really hope you can find a less toxic work environment. Being assigned 'spy duties' is just ridiculous. If HR wants to get rid of people they should just come up & do it themselves! I'm really glad you have the ability to balance yourself at home with your hobbies & activities & fur kids

Star, good luck with your gym membership, that's great!
                    I really hope you like it there & enjoy doing something good for yourself.

Yesterday turned out strange & funny!
                    We jumped in the 10 year old pickup & drove the couple of miles to the Amish farm to pick up our CSA.
                    When we came out, the truck wouldn't start - dead battery. YB immediately calls our son, hoping he can come give up a jump. Son & grandson weren't too far away but in the middle of the supermarket with a cart half full of food. We said we would wait until they could come rescue us. Meanwhile the Amish guy comes out carrying a battery - surprise! Unfortunately the jumper cables are missing from the truck, oh well. Then the farmer's son walks up with a set of cables, gave us a jump & we were on our way! I was really hoping for a ride home via horse & buggy - LOL!
                    After that we rode to the feed store to load up on chicken feed then on to the auto parts store for a new battery. Great way to blow an entire morning.

Today, at our daughter's request we are going to check out a house they are thinking about buying. It's an oldie & needs a good bit of work but the price & location are just right for them. She knows that we have done this with 3 old houses ourselves. I hope it's something they can handle so they can finally get settled.

Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav, that sounds like an interesting morning in the Amish country! LOL!

Star, Papmom, greetings. I am checking in quite late as it was a full day today and I had no time to get online until now. I just wanted to check in and let you all know I'm thinking of you all. I'll try to post more tomorrow!
                      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good morning...

Lav, what an interesting morning. Hope your daughter's house hunting goes well. How was it living in and remodeling an old house? We could never do that as we don't have basic repair skills. We have some snow now, but the grass is barely covered. Nothing to me but I am concerned about how others drive. Watching the weather, in the teens on Tuesday. Darn.

Dill, balance sounds nice. I am working towards it. Keep warm and enjoy your Monday.

Hello to Cyn and Pap.

Comment

Good Monday morning friends,

Dark, damp & chilly here & looks like that is what the entire week will look like, oh well.

Honestly, my daughter never seems to be able to catch a break. We went thru that 100+ year old house yesterday & made a list of immediate renovations needed. Most important is a bathroom - there is no tub in the only bathroom, just a stall shower - crazy. Putting in a new 'normal' bathroom will involve taking walls down but it is doable. Someone obviously had some strange renovations done there at one point. The stairwell to the third floor is in the bathroom - crazy!!!!
                          I don't know if they are going to be able to handle all this, we will see. Their primary vehicle suddenly stopped running yesterday, will be towed today & the repair is likely to be quite costly. They ended up coming out here last evening to borrow my car for the week. I'm using YB's car & he is using his truck (now that it has a brand new battery)

Star, living in an old house while renovating it is a giant pain in the butt BUT that's what we have always done. We bought our first house exactly 40 years ago in the Fall of 74. We were 20 & 21 years old with no skills but had a lot of determination. We certainly picked some skills very quickly! We had a lot of friends in the building trades which was a big help.

I need to get my stuff together today for the start of craft show week at Curves tomorrow - fun
                          Greetings Dill, Papmom, Cyn & everyone. Let's all have a great AF Monday.
                          Be careful out on the roads everyone!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav, Mr. D and I have renovated 2 of the 3 homes we have lived in. We were 40 and 42 when we bought this old farm house and all our friends thought we were NUTS! Their middle life crises involved things like buying Harley's or having affairs. Not us! We bought a wreck of a house and made it ours. The land was the real draw tho. We have 88 acres 20 of which are woods. It is truly beautiful. I have no more renovations left in me now at ages 62 and 64. It's actually time for us to down-size but we both don't want to leave the land.

Star, I guess I have managed to find a pretty good balance lately and it sounds like you have too. But in spite of it I find myself in a bit of a doldrum today and yesterday. I just hope it passes but the weather is not helping. I can't enjoy the outdoors when it is this cold and snowy and windy and getting out for a walk is one of the ways I usually lift my spirits.

Cyn, I hope you are enjoying time with Mr. Tree.

Papmom, I really understand what you went thru with your Mom. My Dad faded away through the gradual onset of dementia. He was older than your Mom when it happened, but it was still difficult for him and our whole family.:hug:

Five inches of snow here and our temp is supposed to go down to 10 tonight. Yuck. Oh well, winter is here early. Enjoy a peaceful AF evening and keep warm everyone!
                            Dill

Comment

Good morning...

Lav, wow, buying a fixer upper with no skills. That's youth for you! Belief that anything is possible. Hope daughter and family find their house soon. Sorry there car is broken. I hate car problems. My car is outside now, no garage, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it starts this morning. 10 degrees here with windchill even colder. I hate this early winter. 50s by Sunday. THAT is ok with me.

Dill, I don't feel like I have found a good balance, I don't have any friends yet. Between work, driving back and forth, I am just tired when I get home. I felt depressed last night, like where is my life going? What is left? The book I was reading ended badly, (Gertrude Bell killed herself) and this weather is just yuck. Now, I am not even thinking of killing myself, just hating the cold, needing a break, and happy that next week is Thanksgiving. The dark and extreme cold are hard to take. Bundling up warmly and starting my car early. Let's do the Lav affirmations, thinking of all we have to be thankful and grateful for. Starting out, AFness is the only way to go, health, people to love, all basic needs met, and the holidays to look forward too. There, I feel better already. And, a hot cup of coffee.

Cyn and Pap, have a great day too.

Comment

Morning all -

Star - so sorry that you're struggling yesterday and today. You made a great list of things to be grateful for - good for you. Congrats on joining the gym; can you go right there after work? I know that the extra time with bright lights and in the company of people who are working at being healthy is a good energy to be around. Or maybe you need a 'light-box' to help you get through? I'm bringing in some green plants for the house this winter - I looked around and realized that there's nothing with a life force here beyond the mammals...I think plants would be a good pick-me-up, and probably clean the air as well. Good luck with everything, and remember to light candles! Sending hugs.

Lav - what a great story about the Amish, very funny. I hope it works out for your daughter, uuugh about the car, shoot! How interesting that you and YB worked on your houses. I grew up in a totally DIY family, so I'm used to doing lots of that stuff - plus I worked with paint contractors for years, while I was building up my singing career. I used to go from being dust-covered during the day to a sequined gown at night. Seemed normal to me! Happy selling at the Curves craft show...

Dill - your place sounds beautiful. I understand the need to get out and walk, and how much better it can make a person feel. Plus, in the anti-cancer stuff I'm reading, it stresses being in the sunlight (for the dogs too). Beyond the vit D affect, there must be some other good stuff about it. The dogs are restless - no walk yesterday, as it just poured and was icy cold all day. Cold and windy today, but no rain, so maybe we'll just suck it up and get a walk in.

Pap - good luck with the job. And congrats on all you accomplish, you're always busy.

I have lots of business to do, as I spent the whole weekend cooking and cleaning up. HB was only here 24 hours (less than, actually), the turn of the weather made him have to head back early so that it would be safer driving. He's a dear to make the trip with such a tight turn-around. Only 2 more weeks...

Greetings to anyone else dropping by...
                                Last edited by treegirl; November 18, 2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X