Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you realistically describe being sober?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you realistically describe being sober?

I think it's important to see sobriety positively rather than just NOT-drinking. For me it represents a sense of control/empowerment that I can reasonably expect tomorrow to be pleasant and a few days from now the more so.

What does it mean to you to experience sobriety in terms beyond the absence of the experience of drinking? Here are my thoughts, please share yours (bonus points if you can stick with the same letter):

Stable: like medically stable. I feel balanced, particularly digestion, energy levels, body temperature etc.

Sturdy: feel like if an emergency were to arise this would be a preferable time as one less thing on plate.

Spacious: was considering "stimulating" but I don't think sobriety is per se; however, it leaves room and clarity for new interests, emotions etc.

Simple: avoiding booze may be hard, but adopting sobriety is what we did whenever we fell asleep.

Selfish: in the nicest possible way. This is something we do for ourselves irrespective of whether others think we don't know how to have a good time. What's more it gives us the chance to do our best by others.

I considered sensual and sexy because I think they are there in little traces (perhaps the booze quiets them)

'MonkeyTrial

I can't stick with the same letter because being sober means FREEDOM to me. Freedom from shame, guilt, remorse. Freedom from feeling sick every day. Freedom from anxiety. Freedom from worry about how I will behave/did behave when drinking too much. Freedom from having to try and control how much I drink. And that list just goes on.
    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Sane: I feel that I`ve dropped off the merry-go round of insanity ie. always doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Now that I`ve put in some good solid sober time I feel that even when things get hectic, frantic and border-line crazy I always have my wits about me and am always coming from an authentic place. That is my definition of sanity.
      "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      Lao-Tzu

Comment

Being AF to me means to be truly my best self. I like myself AF. I am healthy, sleep well most nights, great cook, think of fun things to do (any time cause I can drive) loving, and there for my family and friends. Any time. Lots of laughter because I feel so much better, prettier as I am not hungover, younger, smarter, clear headed. I am a much better worker, as I feel good and can think clearly and a great problem solver. FREE! Most people don't drink more than one or two drinks at most, only once a week or less. Lots more don't drink at all. Go out to eat and look around. We are the ones who put such an emphasis on drinking...most people don't really care. And if they do, I will bet you they have issues. AFter several weeks being AF, you start to set goals, and just really live life at a higher level. Yes, there are days and times that are challenging, that is life. But, AF, you are able to meet those challenges and get through them. Not hide and have a pity party, prolonging whatever is going on and even making it worse. Personally, I love feeling good. That only comes with being AF for me.

Comment

Working...
        X