Thursday.......HOGMANAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday.......HOGMANAY

Morning all..and how are we today then?all good then?well this is the last formal post for 2015,as most of us move into 2016 pretty soon......well that is apart from the antipodean contingent who are almost celebratin easter now!!:thumbsup:..all those new year resolutions getting wheeled out again and dusted orf!!its a good time for reflection too..for me ,I am in my 4th year of not drinking ..a place I never thought I would be,the days of sneaking vodka as a starter to any drinking have long gone....I ,when I think back to it was kind of embarrassed yet desperate about it all..went through the dont wanna die .com scenario,despite being pretty close previously,and yet masking it all with booze....I guess my intent was to jump in here,get cured jump back out ..hey presto job done no one none the wiser..but it didnt turn out like that...this has now become a part of my life..as are the people here..I have made some good friends here,and I dont use the word friend lightly either...had some disappointments,some narks,got pissed off,but generally enjoyed it else wouldnt be here...my whole ethos now is ..if I can help someone else I will...and maybe I have over the years,maybe I havent..so for us all ..take a minute just to think...what you have done and what you intend to do.......right thats the reflectin done..kettles boiled ..brew time?

hiya pie ..hows you then?hopefully that wee vid will help you...dont be rushing in...the last thing you need is water all over the place if it goes wrong on new years eve!!I like the magic cloth that cleans everything up for you !!!!!!

hiya pauly hows you today then?did you sleep any better?maybe thats one of the points you cabn look at in ghe new year..it could be anything,so try different combos to see what works (except booze I try and read all the posts...apart from on my phone which is a pain!!ok as for the plant...is it a houseplant?what kind is it?reason Im asking is it could be a number of things..
    is it in a pot? check the bottom underneath see if you can see roots..might be pot bound
    has it been over/under watered...drought and flood scenario?
    has it got enough fertiliser/nutrients..maybe a feed
    has it got enough light?
    have you moved it from somewhere else?fig plants are notorious for that!
    weather change?
    and lastly ..have you done anything different with it..could do with a pic if poss
    I agree with Lav...but not yet..in the meantime I would take a cutting too,and grow it on..either in water or rooting compound,if you cant resolve the old plant then cut it back to a node with a growth on it if poss..

hiya Kuya how you today then? all good...was watching supervet again last night ...wow ...interesting convo about the looting...I see where you are coming from with the assumptions that we are looking at the worst from the outside in..The scenarios I was talking about were twofold....one...the houses were cleared on to the streets on the authority of the insurance companies to assess them prior to recompense..but the law of assumption is that if it is on the street then it is no longer required by the owner and makes it common property,this was not the case it was simply that the street was the easiest place to put it all...secondly,one shop suffered severe damage, but managed to save a large amount of stock...to find it had been stolen next morning.............15 pedal bikes worth about £25000.....to me that is just a commercial burg in dire circumstances!....as for the rose tinted glasses,,,hmm for a nation that actually invented concentration camps,built cities on the slave trade,and re-educated ??over 90% of the world in our ways dont think we have too much to bump our gums at!!..anyways see you in the new year :thumbsup:

hiya bear ..hows you then?all the very best ....this has been your year..well done.......

det my man all the best to you...2016 is the biggy for you see you here same time same place nachst jaar.....

hiya Sam hows things with you ...gettin those toons sorted out???all the very best to you

hiya ns ...likewise hope all is well with you ...party all sorted out?

lastly ..ppqp if you happen to read this.....all the very best to you ...wherever and whatever you are doing.....

and on that note folks I raise my glass to you one and all ...

Slàinte mhath! and see you next year...

As a tribute to Lemmy's death, we've all just had a minute's noise.

Arnie is making a new action movie based on The Wind in The Willows. It is tentatively called Toad Hall Recall

I'm getting lazier as I get older.

For example, I used to trim my toenails every week.

Now I just wear bigger shoes.

A man walks into a library and asks, "Do you have any books on poor eyesight?"

"No, we don't," replies the barman.

In my loft sits a contraption invented by my great, great, great grandfather that weaves cloth from seemingly nothing.

It's an old family air-loom.

My wife went ballistic at a tramp going through the bins as they were put out for collection.

"What on Earth do you thing you're doing? " she yelled.

"I'm starving, so I'm looking for food scraps, " he shouted back, "but I can see there is no fcking point in looking through yours though. "

I decided to test out the theory that if you throw a cat off a building they will always land on their feet.

It's true, in the time it took me to get outside the cat had already got himself a steady job, a decent house and his own family.

Two farmers in a field. One says to the other, "Ere! You seen my flock a' cows?"
    The other one says, "Herd a' cows."
    The first one replies, "Course I feckin herd a' cows, I've got a flock of the b.stards

As I waited for my blind date, this woman came and sat down at my table, "Hello, you must be Mike, I recognised you from your picture."

"Oh, yes, you must be Kate's mum, pleased to meet you, is she not well or something?"

While visiting an old and spooky country house, a lady confided in the guide that she was terrified of ghosts and dreaded meeting one on the tour.
    To reassure her, the guide informed her that in all the years he had worked at the house, he had never seen a single ghost.
    "And how long have you worked here?" asked the woman.
    "Three hundred years."

have you ever noticed...in any movie one of the following happens

1. It does not matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts: your enemies will wait patiently to attack you one by one, dancing around in a threatening manner until you have knocked out their predecessors.

2. Honest and hard-working policemen are traditionally gunned down three days before their retirement.

3. All beds have special L-shaped sheets that reach the armpit level of a woman, but only the waist level of the man lying beside her.

4. At least one of a pair of identical twins is born evil.

5. Most laptop computers are powerful enough to override the communications system of any invading alien society.

6. All grocery bags contain at least one stick of French bread.

7. Rather than wasting bullets, megalomaniacs prefer to kill their arch enemies using complicated machinery involving fuses, pulley systems, deadly gasses, lasers, and man-eating sharks, which will allow their captives at least a half-hour to escape.

8. You're very likely to survive any battle in any war unless you make the mistake of showing someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.

9. A man will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating, but will wince when a woman tries to clean his wounds.

10. If a large pane of glass is visible, someone will be thrown through it before long.

11. If staying in a haunted house, women should investigate any strange noises in their most revealing underwear.

12. Even when driving down a perfectly straight road, it is necessary to turn the steering wheel vigorously from left to right every few moments.

13. All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red readouts so you know exactly when they're going to go off, but luckily you'll always blindly choose to cut the right wire.

14. A detective can only solve a case once he has been suspended from duty.

15. Police departments give their officers personality tests to make sure they are deliberately assigned a partner who is their total opposite.

and finally....................

Last edited by Mick; December 31, 2015, 08:06 AM.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Happy new year Mick and all!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good morning Abbers!

Here we are on this very last day of 2015 & it's still all dark & gloomy, ha ha! I hope 2016 remembers to bring the sunshine

Nothing special happening here just a trip to Curves then back for some work. Maybe a visit to the farmers market later - woo hoo!!!
      Hello to everyone, I will check in later to see what everyone is up to.
      Have a great AF day!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Mae everybody, what a lovely post Mick the plant in question is a houseplant,I hate to cut it back cuz the top looks good,its just the sticks its on that's the problem, seems to always happen to some plants,instead of growing fluffy,they grow tall,wish I was off today I swear people were acting like they started new years yesterday places were busy,peeps were driving crazy on my way home I didn't leave the house once I got home! Taking it easy tonight for sure,last night I was watching this show about how peoples fat saved their life,this guy fell 17 floors out of a hotel window and survived! Crazy,anyways I hope everyone has a safe,sober,peaceful New Year
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Morning all, Off to buy some plumber's putty, then take a crack at the faucet. No kidding, Mick, needing a plumber at any time is a headache, but needing one on a holiday? No thanks. Will be very, very careful.

Had to google Hogmanay, and read about the fireball swinging tradition. Now have a vision of revelers swinging burning balls around their heads! At least they aren't driving! Almost as crazy as taking a 17-story dive out a window and hoping your fat saves ya! Thanks for that one, Pauly!

Back later.

Comment

hi everyone,have a fab time tonight - am off to pub with friends tonight,not a big NYE lover tbh but am going to focus on great friends and enjoy getting ready.

Tomorrow plan to do nothing,have a huge bubble bath and pedicure,and sit with cat and eat chocolate pudding and cream,and run again,am getting back into my couch to 5k plan again.
            2015 has been a mixed year,lots of god stuff,lots of challenges - overall a great year.
            I'm so happy to be sober right now and thanks to all of you for the support - I have totally lost count of how many attempts.

2016 I plan to travel more(US and Scandinavia) ,to continue being sober,eating well and taking care of finances and health.I'd like to start a crafty activity and maybe restart jive lessons.

Happy New Year everyone
            one day at a time

Comment

happy new year everyone and hope you have not been too badly hit by the floods Mick. Just glorious sunshine here !!

Comment

outdone yourself with those jokes today mick. had me lolling.

happy new year to you.

Comment

Originally posted by treetops View Post
                  happy new year everyone and hope you have not been too badly hit by the floods Mick. Just glorious sunshine here !!
                  hiya tt ...best to you for the next year...fortunately higher ground has helped escape most of the flooding...but lower down hasnt been so lucky...can we borrow some sunshine??
                  af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

and all the very best to you blinky have a good one x

Comment

Originally posted by Pie View Post
                      Morning all, Off to buy some plumber's putty, then take a crack at the faucet. No kidding, Mick, needing a plumber at any time is a headache, but needing one on a holiday? No thanks. Will be very, very careful.

Had to google Hogmanay, and read about the fireball swinging tradition. Now have a vision of revelers swinging burning balls around their heads! At least they aren't driving! Almost as crazy as taking a 17-story dive out a window and hoping your fat saves ya! Thanks for that one, Pauly!

Back later.
                      Don't forget to turn water off at the mains Pie! lol. Happy new year to you.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!

Half way through New Year's Day here ...... Had a quiet one unfortunately. Was supposed to go to a party but my car broke down. Ho hum. Still am starting 2016 rested and happy and truly looking forward to the best year ever.

May you all have a great year, sober and healthy.

Comment

Happy Knew Annum all!!!

been working th last couple days dissolving the old survey business, splitting up stuff, moving things out and some back in. Ringing out the old and welcoming the newt.

Mick, very thoughtful post, enjoyed. Best to all of you, and of course, see you next year
                          Sam
                          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Hello, Bear, TT, Blink, G, and Kuya! Still 7 hours to go on the countdown here.

G, I made that mistake once. Once is enough! osteroops:

Was on my way back with the plumbers putty, when a call came in about a stray pup who wandered into someone's garage, and collapsed. So instead of taking my exit, I continued on to the address given. Sure enough, found this ancient, shivering pup in need of a helping hand. So off we went to a vet, no chip found, and now he's at my house, and hoping his owner will get in contact with the rescue group for this particular breed.

The leaky faucet gets to live another day!

Mick, have you reached the new year yet?

Comment

Still 3 hours 40 minutes to go here Pie

Sitting in front of the TV doing absolutely nothing, nice.
                              I hope the dog's owner wakes up & realizes they're missing something.

Wishing everyone a very happy & healthy 2016!
                              Peace to all tonight!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                              X