Moderating but vulnerable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, been on this site a few days now and I'm one of those who's trying to moderate, currently on 20 units a week, trying to get down to 12 (that's my aim currently). Didn't drink last night, but didn't sleep last night either. Love to hear from anyone else, I am finding this site encouraging and useful and am overjoyed when other people find my comments useful too!!!
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Hi Vlad,

I also find that I don't always sleep well on my AF nights. I think it takes time to adjust. It sounds like you are doing a great job cutting back. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Vlad, that is an excellent plan, well done on AF last night, the sleep does catch up, honestly ...........

BB xx
      sigpicXXX

Comment

Thanks

:thanks:
        Thanks for the support, Friday and Saturday nights (as are probably for most) are the most difficult for me. I currently drink Mondays - that could do to go for a start. That'll bring it down to 16 units. Going to Croatia in a week - moderation may not happen that week, of this I am aware - if I end up drinking every day, going to make sure it's not stupid every day and avoid the temptation of those early morning shots of liquor the Croatians like to offer with their full day excursions. I went to Russia last year (stupid place to go if you have a problem with alcohol), our rep took us in a souvenir shop one morning and guess what, they were offering the tourists free vodka. I was there like a shot and realised just what I was doing at 10.30am.

Feeling a bit rough today, if you read my story - I've had hyperthyroidism, a bit wary of it coming back at the moment. Had quite a few sleepless nights lately, one with my heart pounding away at 90 for about half a hour. Last night I just felt anxious for no apparent reason, finally yawned at 5.20am and slept a nightmarish sleep for about a minute and that was it, I was awake again until the alarm went off.

I would love to hear what others are trying to moderate to and to keep each other up to date with how we're doing!
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hi Vlad: Just checking in quickly from work. Haven't had a chance to read your story but wanted to say hello and welcome and that I look forward to getting to know you.

Will check in later with more info on how I manage mods, since you asked. I do think it helps to gather ideas. Sounds like you have a plan though, and that is key.
          Hi to Ducky and BB. Hope everyone else is having a good week!
          Croft: are you back? Kinda quiet on the Mods Thread.

G

Comment

My general rules are:

1. Don't drink every day
            2. No drinking before 8.30pm
            3. Only the buy the alcohol I intend to drink that evening (e.g. 2 cans of lager)

Comment

Vlad,
              Welcome and glad to see you are setting yourself up well with good rules!!!
              I am too modding right now. Last night, I had bought some beer and told myself a three beer limit. I had dinner with bf and we were going to watch a movie, this is one of those times, that I easily could drink too much....but when I had opened the third beer and took a sip....I didn't want it anymore...I actually didn't finish it. It didn't taste as good anymore and I could feel a litlle loopy, so I pulled myself back and moved onto a soda(which actually wasn't that good either!!!)

I watched the entire movie, and then went to bed with bf....it was great!!!! I did not have a fuzzy head from the hangover this morning, and it was great to know that I do have control.

My rules are:
              1. NO drinking Mon-Thurs.
              2. A three drink limit a night
              3. Drink water between each drink
              4. If the craving to have more is there, get out of the situation....go home, go to bed, etc.
              5. Keep coming to mwo for support

These are just the ones I have now, I may adopt more as I journey on...

Glad to meet you and have comrades on this mod journey!
              flyin'

Comment

Yes, agreed, go to bed or go home once done with. Ha ha, I went on a hot air balloon trip early in the morning which finished with champagne and breakfast. I drank the small glass of champagne we got... but then had to think twice when they asked what drink I'd like with breakfast... I very nearly ordered a double vodka or a beer!!! When I drank heavy I used to get cravings for vodka first thing in the morning, I am just thankful I never gave in to them otherwise I know my problem would have become much much worse and moderation would never be an option for me.

Comment

I currently am AF during the weeks and modding on the weekends and that is working for me. I find that as long as you have a plan it is easy to follow.

Good luck on your journey!
                  Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                  :h

Comment

Hi Vlad,

Welcome!

I have been mod for 2 weeks now... wow, that's the first I have told you guys!! I went onto Topa nearly 3 weeks ago and started taking my supps - wow what a difference. I drink my two glasses of wine when I cook dinner in the evening and the second glass barely gets finished. I don't know if it is the supps or the Tops but I just don't FEEL like having more.

It was my best friends birthday on the weekend and yes I did drink a whole bottle of wine by my self but it was over a long period and before I would've finished off a 2 litre, so I am well chuffed with myself.

Good luck, if I can do it, so can you!!
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi,

I'm thinking of trying moderating once my 30 days is up - currently on day 24 - would love to hear people's recent efforts - think my units probably ranged from 50 - 70 a week. Always one bottle of wine - so I suppose there's lots of combinations I could choose from. Never did see the sense is having anything less than at least three or four glasses on the trot though! Never said I was sensible either . . . . . Px
                      Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

Hi all,
                        Maybe this is a good place for me. I don't want to totally give up alcohol. I am just saying hello.
                        Lila

Comment

vlad;340802 wrote: if I end up drinking every day, going to make sure it's not stupid every day and avoid the temptation of those early morning shots of liquor the Croatians like to offer with their full day excursions.
                          I didn't avoid the temptation of this by the way, they were free, I couldn't help it!!!

Comment

Hi Vlad and everyone,
                            I'd like to say I'm moderating, but not really. I did 21 (welll 14 and 7) days AF in June, about half of May, and not sure where to go from here. Don't want to start another 30 but yes, I am feeling vulnerable. A plan for mod is good and neccessary, but I don't know where to begin. I imagine that's just an excuse. I was feeling out of sorts AF and am feeling out of sorts now. Wanted some AF clarity and wasn't getting it. I've been depressed for awhile; that's starting to go away so old patterns easy to fall back on I guess.

Comment

Working...
                            X