Just Started - Do I have a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I am not too sure how to define myself. I drink occassionally but maybe once every 2 weeks I will go on a bender. I start drinking, everyone else goes home and I continue till 5 in the morning. The hangovers seem to be getting worse, feeling sick for 3 days but there seems to be some enjoyment in overcoming it and then waiting for the next sessions.
    It has its roots in my shyness and uncomfortableness with groups of other people as on friday I was with people i didnt know so maybe drank more. I was supposed to work on saturday but was too drunk the next day till about 10 at night.
    I t seems if I leave it for a few weeks I have to make up and drink it all upin one night. As I approach 40 I dont want to be like this.I want to have a few drinks enjoy myself chat to people then go home.Any advice or chat is appreciated.

David
    :thanks:

Welcome, DSwan, you have found a great place to get some help and information and, if you want, a program that you can put together for yourself to change your relationship with alcohol. Certainly clear that your drinking behavior is unhealthy, and is making you unhappy. I'd suggest you start by getting the MWO book and read it, and spend some time here on the forum posting questions, and reading other people's posts. It will help you to get started!

wip

Comment

:hello2::colorwelcome::wave::groupluv:
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Welcome David
        I am glad that u found this site. There is lots of wisdom and support here. The first step is in recognizing that your drinking is causing problems for you, and you have done that. Many have learned to moderate. Many cannot. You sound like a good candidate for moderating, as you go long periods without it. I can relate to the social phobia. I picked up drinking after ten years without alcohol, because I got divorced, and thought I never would be able to start the single life sober. Dating, meeting guys, etc...made me so anxious. Now not drinking or dating. lol. Welcome aboard. I look forward to reading your future posts. We are here to help.
        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Working...
        X