Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here...been lurking for about a week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stumbled on to the Book & this website a week ago. I am really pysched.
    My husband & I have been aware for sometime that we were tired of having our alcohol consumption controling us rather than the other way around. We were fairly certain we wanted something we could do from the privacy of our own home & also looking to explore the option of moderating.

We started on the supplements Sunday...started the hypnosis today...both have MD appointments this week to see about getting some medical support & a script for the Topamax. (Although I did order some online that should be here anyday now) ...so regardless will be starting meds with or w/o a prescription.

We already go to the rec center 4-5 times a week, so exercise is in place...& we are making a commitment to making better food choices as well.

My husband has occaisionally gone AF for a day or two w/o the shakes or DT's in the past year or two...I haven't attempted AF in recent memory. My drug of choice has been wine & usually finish 1/2 of a 1.5 L bottle most days, Hubby drug of choice is Scotch...& he has been drinking 3-4 1.5 L a week. My question is any opinions when we start on the Topamax & go AF....when to start? I was thinking starting on a Thursday...figuring days 3 & 4 will most likely be the worst & would like that to be over the weekend ...to minimize having to take addt'l sick time...hubbies retired...so not as big a deal for his schedule.

Thanks for any input.:new:

Rejuve

Rejuvenated,
    Welcome! I think it is so great you two are doing this together. Most of the time here I see one person come forward, though the other spouse may follow sometime in the future. I can't help you with Topamax, though someone else will. You would probably get a quicker response if you post that question under the meds section. Lots of people seem to be having success lately with Bacloven. Also the majority here seem to say they can't learn to drink moderately. I am one in the minority.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome ....
      Was looking for some input on what to expect when we go AF for the first week...anyone have any idea...when the worst is over...physically?

Comment

I was drinking between 1 1/2 to 2 bottles of wine a night (750ml bottles) and I must admit the first week was quite tough. I suffered from shakes, anxiety and night sweats. After the first few week it was ok though and well worth any of the withdrawl symptons. I was prescribed a short course of valium which helped take the edge off the anxiety and took away the shakes. Good luck, in my experience day 3 and 4 were the worst, not only because of the withdrawls but also the 'drinking thinking' would kick in, eg: I have done so well, I deserve a drink.....wrong!!
        Take care

Dora

Comment

I am a newbie in this forum, so i would like to make a new member and contribute my ideas and improve my knowledge from the others.I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.Gee! this thread will attract many people to give more info
          Calcul pret immobilier simulation en ligne | Taux simulation rachat de pret immobilier lcl | Pret immobilier simulation gratuit caisse d'epargne

Comment

Working...
          X