Tip's Cautiously Optimistic Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be boring to read but I am doing it for me. I am going to journal here as opposed to starting a new blog or creating a word document. I visit this site daily and this is a safe little niche for moderators which is what I am becoming.

I have abstained for weeks at a time and end up drinking again. I rarely have drank more than a bottle of wine on my own in one sitting. I drink red wine and for the past few years realized that my pattern had developed into a daily habit of drinking from dinner til bedtime. Most nights it was sharing a bottle of our homemade wine with hubby which seems innocent enough. On a daily basis, it bothered me (and him) and we were spending too much time beating this subject to death and the occasional evening popping open the second bottle.

We decided recently that we would not drink during the week but enjoy our wine on Friday and Saturday nights. This is not the first time we have decided to do this but have succumbed to the temptation to drink during the week and fell back into our pattern.

What are we doing differently this time?

Well, each evening when the work day ends we move the mini-trampoline into the living room and after dinner (sometimes before also) we take turns bouncing for 10 to 15 minute intervals while watching Anderson and other interesting TV shows. This goes on for a few hours and eventually we relax in front of the TV and have a cup of tea. If we had even one glass of wine at this time, we would immediately lose our motivation and that would be it.

So far it's working but it's only been a few days.

This is my journal to report on how it's going and to keep myself on track. Comments are welcome but not expected.

This was not a planned attack on how to abstain; it just happened that one weeknight that coincided with our plan to not drink, hubby decided to bounce in front of the TV. Hopefully the rest will be history.

Will continue to report.
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Last night we were jinxed by me starting this journal. LOL.

We had our first major snowstorm of the winter and since I work for the family business I decided to take the day off 'work' and 'work' around the cottage, putting together a bag of clothes for a friend, cleaning cupboards, etc. I also shoveled off our 1000 square foot deck and my back felt it.

It was physical work and at the end of the day I did not want to bounce or cook dinner. We decided to go to our usual Japanese restaurant and have some green tea and sushi. Unfortunately, it was closed for renovations and we went next door to an Italian place. The wine was offered, we accepted and split a half litre (one and a half glasses each). Enjoyed it immensely.

Now that the confessional part is over, I have to say that I am still very excited about our rebounding vs drinking plan and have high hopes that we will continue.

Time will tell ....
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Managed a wine free night again. Bounced for ten minute periods a couple of times tonight and made a homemade pizza. Drank water and enjoyed it. By having the rebounder in the living room of our small cottage is a great 'no drinking' reminder. If we drink, we can't bounce and we love bouncing and it's so good for us. If you're reading this you should google the benefits of rebounding. They are phenomenal.

Anyways it's Thursday and it's the third day this week we haven't drank alcohol. That is what I want as a good beginning. Weekends we do what we want and it's certainly not mandatory to drink. LOL.
      Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Saturday night and had a girlfriend here for the weekend. We had some wine both Friday and Saturday. That's ok and tomorrow, we will resume our jumping/non-drinking week. Got 99% of my Christmas shopping done today and feel great about it. Now I can concentrate on decorating, baking and enjoying the holiday season. Fa la la la la, la la la la. Even bought my own gifts and gave them to hubby to wrap. He actually appreciated it.

On Monday me and my daughter will hit the mall to choose a few gifts for her. I haven't seen her in a while and it should be a nice visit.

Still feeling good about our plan to be relatively dry during the week and to do whatever we want on the weekends. For the life of me I don't know why I drink anyways as it just gives me slight headache the next day.

Good night.
        Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Tipp,
          I have to tell you that I love your idea of jumping in the evening. That would really work for me. I work out 7 days/wk and my hubby and I usually walk in the evenings after dinner. But with winter coming, those days will dwindle. If the weather is bad, we will go to the gym after dinner but I get tired of going twice in one day. I am a modder but do not drink during the week but I do love this idea of a different way of exercising. I hate sitting down after dinner in front of the tube for a long evening. I feel so nonproductive but think I could do this. Where did you get your trampoline. Is that what it is? I have to laugh at the idea of my hubby jumping on a mini trampoline. He's 6' and 220lbs. I have to smile when I think of it. Plus we are in a small farm house and the ceilings are not very tall. I think he would bump his head.
          "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding." Elvis Costello

Comment

We live in a tiny, crooked little cottage but you're hubby just might have to be careful... LOL... you would hate him to get a concussion bouncing off that darned thing.

There are all kinds of rebounders and for starters you may want to pick up one of the cheapos at Walmart or a sports store. They sell for under $50 and if you fall in love with bouncing, look into the big names like reboundair and Urban Rebounders. You'll have to do a google search. When I get home I'll look to see the brand I have. It's a high end rebounder and costs over $200. We started out using the cheap one and still have it. The better one has a better spring system and is more solidly built.

Good luck. Boing !!!!!!!!
            Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Tipp,
              Thanks for the info. I have one more question. Do your floors and furniture shake when you are bouncing? I am afraid to add any more vibrations to the house. It is held up by brick piers and I am afraid it may fall down.
              "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding." Elvis Costello

Comment

It depends on your flooring. We have wide pine boards and they do shake a bit. It's really not too bad. Sometimes if I bounce too close to the china cabinet, my wine glasses vibrate... LOL..

I think the brand name of the other high quality rebounder is Needak... I'll see if I can find it.

You should try one in a store maybe if you are a little apprehensive. The good quality ones can really hold up to 300 pounds so it's not a lightweight thing.

Take care.
                Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Bouncing your way to happiness Tipplerette, Very good Its a new way to me :-) keep on bouncing.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I think a tiny little crooked cottage sounds just wonderful!! xx
                    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

It is wonderful and costs next to nothing to live in. Hubby is a contractor so he gutted it, redid the important stuff ie. electricity, insulation, etc. and fixed it all up in rustic pine. It's tiny and when the kids come over with their partners, dogs and now the granddaughter, it gets pretty crowded but we love it. We just put the Christmas tree up. We had to put it outside on the deck by the patio door as we couldn't fit it in the cottage. We appreciate our little gem by the river.

Life is good... boing.. boing.. boing..

Thanks Mario, are they rebounding in Ireland?
                      Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tipplerette;1217777 wrote: It is wonderful and costs next to nothing to live in. Hubby is a contractor so he gutted it, redid the important stuff ie. electricity, insulation, etc. and fixed it all up in rustic pine. It's tiny and when the kids come over with their partners, dogs and now the granddaughter, it gets pretty crowded but we love it. We just put the Christmas tree up. We had to put it outside on the deck by the patio door as we couldn't fit it in the cottage. We appreciate our little gem by the river.

Life is good... boing.. boing.. boing..

Thanks Mario, are they rebounding in Ireland?
                        OMG, it sounds like something out of a picturebook!!

Would love to see a photo!!

AF 10th May 2010
                        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Step by step instructions on how to download a photo please... anyone??
                          Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Ok, you need to open a photobucket accout....thats the first thing

it's easy peasy Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

AF 10th May 2010
                            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Back with more conviction

Just joined the A/F for December Thread. I have not been a good girl and have to report that last week I put in a dismal effort although hubby faithfully bounced away the evenings. We did not drink every night but I found an excuse or two to have a glass of wine.

This month I would be proud of myself if I could stay the course and not have any wine or other spirits.

Will not give up this thread. Will report back again tomorrow or Monday.
                              Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                              X