30 Days AF Monthly Moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all - very brief check in as busy work day today - staff memeber called in sick, so I am on call for her.
    Today starts day 9 - I am still not sleeping well, and have a farily persistent headache. I went 66 days end of last year and remember sleeping really well - I also have drunk at least 50% less than I was in the time since then to now, so I did think this time would be easier - in some ways it is, but not the sleep and headache
    Ally - I am pretty well unpacked and getting settled - lots needed and still need doing to the house - it is a fixer upper, but what the economy and my situation would allow. I am looking forward to the garden, but it is pretty far down list - I like a pretty garden, not too much order - my parents have a wornderful english garden, but they are in in most of the time, and have the UK climate - I do buy what I fancy at the time...
    Have a great day everyone...
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Quick check in from me as must go to bed soon. Ally thanks for the kind words - I shall drop in when I feel the lonely blues and may just ramble on to myself! Nice post Fin, looking forward to hearing more from you. And SL - awesome day 9. You're sounding great. Thanks Eve for the daily insights - loving them. Hi to all posting and anyone lurking. Night :l
      You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Hello friends, Fin loved your thoughts about not beating yourself up over relapses, just make a YOU turn and get back on track. Thanks Ally, Freefly, scottish lass and all of the others who have posted or haven't but check our site for support. We are now on...

Day 9

This too shall pass

By now you have figured out ways to fight off the urges or cravings when they come up. When you were caught up in drinking you may not have noticed that a lot of people drank less than you did as you probably were drawn to people who drank as much or more because then you didn’t have to really face the fact that you were drinking too much. Now is the time to observe others that don’t drink or drink less at parties and you may be surprised to see that they are having a very good time without alcohol. You also may notice, and cringe…at those who drink too much and you may start to feel slightly embarrassed for them.

Remember a good trick at parties when asked “Do you want a drink?” when they are offering alcohol is to say “No, thanks, I’ll have a diet coke, or ice tea, etc. for now. Believe me, they will not coming running after you when they think it’s finally time for you to have alcohol. This statement is a good one to use for those that want to keep their abstinence anonymous. There's no need to share with strangers that you don't drink alcohol - only if you have a true comfort level in disclosing that.

:l
        Eve11
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Day 9 done, on to double digits - day 10 here I am!

Comment

scottish lass;1407328 wrote: Day 9 done, on to double digits - day 10 here I am!
            Brilliant :h
            You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Day 10

“Positive thinking is a healthy tonic.
              Think well of yourself.
              Think yourself well.”
              ~Steve Iig

Some of the more difficult urges/pressures that seem to hang on for weeks after you’ve stopped are usually linked to certain situations. You may find that some of the strongest cravings come around certain people, places, or events. It’s much more likely to be a problem if you are spending a lot of time around a friend who is a heavy drinker. You can still spend time with that person but make sure it is limited and not in any situation where you both used to drink together. Here are some other tips that may help with these situations:

• Remember the poem about taking a different street? Try taking a different route than usual if you’re passing by a liquor store or “party” place you frequented that will trigger the craving to drink.

• Explore new places to go that you will not associate with drinking. Go shopping with your friend or rearrange your furniture (or theirs). Read a book or see a play and discuss what you liked or didn't like about it. Do something physical like hiking or biking.

• Maybe you can convince your heavy drinking friend to go somewhere else for a weekend night where you would not be able to drink.

Remember, if you even intend to just have one or two with this friend, alcohol can weaken your will power, no matter what you do. The positive expectancy of good times with this friend can overwhelm you even if you see yourself as a social drinker, you may believe having a drink won’t hurt. This is not the time to experiment. Quitting is a process that requires patience in numerous ways, you are nearing your 30 days of abstinence. Challenge yourself and friend to an alcohol free activity.

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I love that you are creating this thread, Eve. People will be able to refer back to it even if their 30 days dont coincide with these posts.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Drinkgal, LG, FF, Fin, Scottish Lass, Eve:

Hello, how are you all doing?

I'm confessing I had a few drinks w husband celebrating our 14th anniversary. But today feeling a little guilty bring so bad to my precious liver, so going back to being AF again today. This Thanksgiving I plan to just be w my husband and son so no temptation to drink. What about you guys?

Hope you all are having a good Thursday!
                  Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                  A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Thanks Sunbeam,

I've never started a 30 day thread so not sure what we do when we get to the end? Guess we can just keep it out there as the "sticky thread" for people to go to for help when they are trying to get their 30 days in.

Happy Anniversary Ally!!

Hello to all, keep reading, posting, and abstaining!!

Eve11

Comment

Hi all - doing good here.
                      Congrats on your Anni Ally!! and well done for getting right back on track! Way to go...

Comment

Day 11 (My lucky number)

You have within you a strength that is full. Depend on it.

It's like playing chess- Plan ahead

Many drinkers who stop for short periods seem to lose their momentum and cave in to their old habit. Don't become one of them. By talking about the possible dangers to look out for you can avoid this. Read the article on triggers, read various posts where members share why they slipped. You can be doing very well, feeling very good about yourself, when suddenly the urge hits like it’s never hit before.

This often happens just as things start getting easier and you’re beginning to think that you’ve got things licked. You’ve been practicing ways to handle your everyday life without drinking or with the goal to cut back, but what about a special event like a wedding or graduation party, etc? Sometimes these special events pop up and take you by surprise. They are difficult to handle because you will often be with friends who are drinking or remind you of drinking or reminiscing about old times.

To deal with these special events, you must learn to think about them before they happen. Plan ahead and decide just how you will deal with these situations when they come.

Think a few days ahead. See what is coming up that might trigger wanting to drink and plan now.

I found myself in a problem like this once where the hostess provided a lot of alcohol but nothing non-al that was enticing to drink. I made a plan to never attend an event or party again without bringing my own non-al drinks. How about your plan?

Eve11

Comment

starting day 12 today - my longest stretch in a row since January was 13 days - so got to put that one to bed!!

Comment

Fantastic SL!!!!!
                            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

lots of green dots Nora - how are you doing???

Comment

Congrats SL!! I'm on my AF day 2 after a few drinks w my husband on our romantic anniversary. Considering 1 month ago I was drinking 1-2 bottles of wine a day now to in the last month, drinking a total of 4 times each time 1-2 glasses , I call it work in progress, but I'm very happy w my progress indeed. Thanks all to MWO and l glut and kudzu. They regulated my drinking center somehow!!!
                                Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                                A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Working...
                                X