Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 Days AF Monthly Moderation

sl

...h - a - n - g in there!! You are doing awesome. Re-read posts that help you abstain if you feel the urge, come to MWO instead of grabbing a drink.

Have a good week-end everyone. Hubby went to his hometown (out of state) to help his widowed mom get ready for the winter so I'm alone with the teen boys. Making plans for picking up from events so it doesn't get tempting to drink at home. That has always been my downfall. Just paying attention to that trigger.

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi SL, Al, Nora and Eve. Al, good job on getting back on the wagon. I think it's definitely progress, and very good progress from 2 bottles a night to only two glasses on several occasions in the past month. Sometimes it takes baby steps, depending on your goal. You can either be satisfied with the status quo and continue to drink less and only occasionally, or you can see it as a bump in the road to abstinence. Either way, it's progress.

"I like people too much or not at all."
      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Thanks, LG! Going auctioning this weekend? Golfing? I gotta work...
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
        A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

I absolutely love this thread. Thanks again Eve. :h Have a great weekend everyone. :l
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Having a good weekend here, had bad cravings last night but hung on by a thread and made it thru. Keeping busy today, that helps. K9 suggest moving furnture - I went to a new grocery store today and that was a big help, didn't even go near the alcohol aisle, made it so easy to avoid!!
            “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Day 12

“Each day is a process, each day is a journey.”
              Anne Wilson Schaef

An extremely helpful way to change is to see who you are differently. Take a look at some of the signatures on the AF threads. Statements such as “I don’t drink” or “I love my family more than alcohol” have helped these folks see themselves as nondrinkers and as people who value other things and have higher priorities than liquor.

Now is the time to start working on a new, strong self-image. What can you do?

• Achieve one of your goals from the previous list you made of doing something that you believe you can accomplish when drinking doesn’t get in the way of making that outcome happen. Remember, alcohol is a depressant so we can feel depressed and unmotivated the day after drinking. The day of drinking you may not get a lot accomplished as it interferes with cognitive skills, such as information processing, and psychomotor skills (those involving eye-brain-hand coordination). Alcohol really does rob us of our time! Now that sounds like a good signature line…””my time won’t be hi-jacked by alcohol anymore.”

• Each time someone offers you a drink, remember to say “Not right now” if you wish to be more anonymous or if you are not concerned about that, then a loud “No thanks" will do just fine as it will reconfirm to yourself that you see yourself differently, you now see yourself as a nondrinker...and happy to be one!

• Every time you have the chance to say you no, you will build a stronger image of yourself.

• Think about those you may have disappointed or upset while drinking. So many people make promises they can’t keep because they feel awful the next day and/or were in a blackout and don’t even remember what they said. There is hope that those relationships will hopefully improve now that alcohol is not number one in your life.

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Do you feel lucky punk...well do ya?
                ~Dirty Harry

Day 13

For many 13 has been an unlucky number. If you pay attention you'll notice that elevators don't have a 13th floor as most hotels don't. We allow ourselves to become victims of the belief that 13 is an unlucky number.

I was at an event one time years ago on Friday the 13th. There were approximately 100 people there and 96 table gifts. Everyone around me kept winning and I started to tell myself I was a loser. I wasn't a winner. This became a self fulfilling phrophecy because as everyone kept winning, I kept reinforcing this belief to myself that I wasn't a winner, it was an unlucky day, etc...and guess what? I didn't win. I kept going around after that beleiving I wasn't a winner. Then I heard about the law of attraction and started reading about positive thinking and I started to believe that I was a winner. Now I am surprised when I buy a raffle ticket and DON'T win.

So, don't fall victim to this being an unlucky day or an easy day to slide because 13 is an unlucky number. Make this the luckiest day of your life and keep abstaining friends.

Eve11

Comment

Found the right thread. Is anyone on day 1?

Comment

Eve, thank you for the daily inspiration. I've been lurking and reading with interest, just felt a little embarrassed to post. Back now

Hi 4me, not on day one but very close on day 3. Love your avatar btw
                    You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

:l:l
                      FreeFly;1410316 wrote: Eve, thank you for the daily inspiration. I've been lurking and reading with interest, just felt a little embarrassed to post. Back now
                      FreeFly,

Never be embarrassed. We're here for you when you fall, we're here when you pick yourself back up. 4me, start at any day you need and get inspired and excited to be doing this 4you! :h I think we're getting a lot more reading than posting so please others, people need each other's support. Feel comfortable to share.

Eve11

Comment

Freefly, thank you for your post. I am glad to have someone new like myself to talk with as well as the wisdom of the others who have been there. Today I will be working on breaking the bad habit cycle! Have a great day all!

Comment

Thanks Eve :l

4me, that's exactly it, a bad habit! I've changed other undesirable habits so that gives me hope, I know it's possible. The more we do it I'm sure the easier it will be.

Sailing through witching hour tonight (phew!). Have a good day all

Comment

FreeFly;1410316 wrote: Love your avatar btw
                            Yes, I agree. As Rainman would say..."It's very sparkly."

Eve11

Comment

Day 14

You leave old habits behind by starting out with the thought, 'I release the need for this in my life'.
                              Wayne Dyer

Welcome friends,

It’s been said that chronic drinking can just become a bad habit and when you think about it, it’s probably true. I never used to drink in the daytime. Then I started to associate with a friend who enjoyed her alcohol. Lunch with the kids always meant a restaurant that served wine. I soon found myself ordering wine for lunch not only with just her but when I went out with other women friends as I got into the "habit" of thinking wine with lunch was now fun and relaxing. The problem was, it started to become a habit. I found myself tired afterwards and demotivated and started to think “this is one habit I need to break!”

Think about the folks who get into the habit of drinking daily. They start to think they need that glass of wine or beer or liquor to “relax” after a stressful day. Before they know it, they are in the habit of having a drink every day. Then they get in the habit of two, now three...

I think it may be a good time to take Wayne Dyer’s advice. Leave those old drinking habits behind and start thinking about new habits you would like to develop like working out at the gym, going back to school and studying rather than drinking (I just earned my Masters in August with that change), etc. Focus on new habits that can bring you success!

Comment

Eve11;1410881 wrote: Yes, I agree. As Rainman would say..."It's very sparkly."
                                LOL

Eve, the bad habit post is perfect for me today, thank you. I'm working consciously now to change them. I'm making some personal goals, something I would definitely neglect whilst drinking. I would think about them, or rather how I should define some, but let's face it nothing got done. Anyway, I'm looking at different areas of my life , setting goals and then intending to spend at least an hour on each every day. So far so good.

Happy hump day all :l

Comment

Working...
                                X