Relapses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapses?

My husband is leary but supportive. I don't blame him. I have tried to quit or moderate in the past and nothing worked. He also doesn't know much about how this program works. His fault oh well. None the less he is hopeful and willing to support me but on of his questions was..."What if you are doing fine for a few months and I come home and find an empty twelve pack on the counter?" Can it be that sudden if you are doing the full program? Or would you slip back slowly if something were to happen? That's kind of what I got from the book. And I Have had the same glass of wine left in the bottle so long it's probably bad by now. Oh I keep thinking I'll sit down, relax, and treat myself to that tonight and either don't get around to it or don't feel like it. (Ok I want to know where the spaceship with the aliens that abducted the old JoAnn are so I can get myself back. On secnd thought they can keep her :H ) So I can't Imagine EVER drinking that much again. But what happens when your done with the intense part and are off the Topa and are just on long term maintinance. Can something like that happen? It's happened to me before but only b/c I never REALLY had stopped or cut back.
    :thanks:
    JoAnn
    One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

Relapses?

Twinsmommy, since I have been here it has run the gammit. Some of us have been very successful in developing and maintaining a moderation program. Some have been abstaining for a long time. Some have done really great on abstaining and then failed when they tried moderating. And some have lost momentum at certain times of the year, particularly stressful times like holidays.

From my observation, the people at the highest risk are those who abstain for a long period of time and then start drinking again with the intent to moderate, but slowly wind up back at previous levels -- but that is not everyone.

The bottome line is that there is no clear cut answer. Each person is different. Since I only used part of the program to help me develop behavioral modification, I can't speak to the Topa and other questions. But I can say that, at least for me, I have found if I keep a clear vision of where I want to be it helps me to maintain my moderation.

Good luck!
    MM
    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Working...
    X