Day one again!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day one again!!!

I am new here. I have never tried this site before, but have made many attempts to quit drinking. Too many to count. I started drinking when I was 14 and now I am 35. I really enjoy the feeling drinking gives me, but the next day is horrible. I am also a mother of 2 girls ages 4 and 5 and know I need to knock it off! Beer is my drink of choice, which would be o.k. but I usually have to have at least 6 beers. I want to quit altogether. I have tried to moderate for years without success. I did abstain while I was pregnant and nursing. Wish I never want back to it, but I did. Anyway, I am here and hope this site will be my saving grace. :new:

Day one again!!!

Welcome katarina. there are so many of us here, working on improving each day.
    hope you stick around.
    you will find a lot of support here.

welcome again
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Day one again!!!

Thanks Trixie. I will.

Comment

Day one again!!!

Greetings from California

katarina;233932 wrote: I am new here. I have never tried this site before, but have made many attempts to quit drinking. Too many to count. I started drinking when I was 14 and now I am 35. I really enjoy the feeling drinking gives me, but the next day is horrible. I am also a mother of 2 girls ages 4 and 5 and know I need to knock it off! Beer is my drink of choice, which would be o.k. but I usually have to have at least 6 beers. I want to quit altogether. I have tried to moderate for years without success. I did abstain while I was pregnant and nursing. Wish I never want back to it, but I did. Anyway, I am here and hope this site will be my saving grace. :new:
        Hi! I'm 40, and have been drinking 25 years. Last year I had 30, 30 and 90 days AF, the first in my adult life. (I did have to take antibiotics in the early 90s...quit them early so I could drink) Congratulations for not drinking during your pregnancy. I cant' say the same. Two kids, 10 and 3, both wonderful, healthy kids. My drink of choice would be nice, strong Chardonnay.

I want to help so here's my worst:

Last year my husband was out of town. I started drinking wine around noon, switched to vodka and attended my daughter's baseball game (with us were my son and my daughter's friend). Somewhere halfway through I started to black-out. The friend's dad picked her up during the game, which I remember. I woke up in my living room at 4am. My son was in his shorts asleep on the sofa next to me. My daughter was in her bed, I saw no evidence of dinner. I not only drove home, but actively participated in fundraising for the baseball team without remembering any of it. I always wondered why I only got one funny look the next time I saw all those parents...(not to mention why they would let me drive) then reading about blackouts on this group, I realized I probably only appeared slightly buzzed, and most of these people don't know me. I also have an almost imperceptible foreign accent so that probably helped. (Coffee and Listerine breath strips do a fantastic job of covering up the smell of vodka)

Of course I had to drink the next morning to be able to drive my daughter to school...luckily, when I f*** up like that, I can wean myself off alcohol over the course of a day and then I'm okay for a few weeks. By the way, I'm an educated professional...I have to add that because I act like such a moron. :-)

Nice, huh? Anyway, I just had 5 weeks AF until Thanksgiving, had some relapses since then. It's the above story that helps me to try my hardest to not drink.

I did start going to AA in early October, which has worked so well for a lot of people. I have many issues with the 12 steps which I will address in another thread. It would help me to talk about AA, both the pros and cons. And I recently moved to a small town, by choice, but then AA was the farthest thing from my mind. Oh, I'm married to a 'normie'...he used to party as a young man but grew out of it like most people do. Three beers and he's done...and that's on a special occasion.

More later.

-Ilona

Comment

Day one again!!!

:welcome: Katarina and Ilona

Make yourselves at home on the site....you'll find lots of support and good ideas for cleaning up your act! Everyone here knows what you're going through...so many of our stories are the same. Be of good cheer......and good luck

Suze x
          Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Day one again!!!

Welcome Kat! I talked w/u in Chat but we had an unusual group there, so I don't know what your impression might have bee. I applaud you for posting and am so glad you are here! :welcome:

Comment

Day one again!!!

Thanks for sharing Ilona. I too cringe at some of my drinking episodes. I also worry what impact it has had on my children. I want to get off this drinking ride for good and it is nice to be in good company.

Comment

Day one again!!!

Thanks for the welcome Suze. I'm glad I found this site!

Comment

Day one again!!!

Hi Hart- It was good chatting with you. Thanks for stopping by and welcoming me. This is a great group.

Comment

Day one again!!!

Hi Katarina, mind if I join you. Day one for me as well, and buddies work really well. My goal is 14 days, with Christmas etc coming I am going to allow myself the occasional drink. I have ordered the cd's and more supps and am hanging to get listening to the cd's. I have been in & out of here since February! Support is paramount, and I look forward to being there with you.

Here's to us and anyone else who would like to jump on the wagon.
                    :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                    Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Day one again!!!

Hi Tahlula - That sounds like a great idea I like your name by the way. Do you know how to become buddies? - Kat

Comment

Day one again!!!

Buddies

O.K. I figured it out how to add someone as a buddy.

Comment

Day one again!!!

Kat, if you click on my name in this post, options will come up. You can then add me to your buddy list. That is up to you, we can just post in this thread if you like and also PM each other.

Have a look around the site, there's so much info here.

Look forward to the next 14 days!

Where are you?

Tahlula xx
                          :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                          Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Working...
                          X