Good gawd … here I am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good gawd … here I am

It has taken me a lifetime to reach this place. I always felt, a bit sanctimoniously, that true alcoholics were those slovenly individuals who hung in bars with a beer in hand ? and a row of dead soldiers amongst their beer-drinking friends. Pride goeth before the fall!! Heck, I came home and drank in solitude ? never endangering others by drinking and driving ? so what was the harm to anyone but myself? I simply ?stress indulged? after a long day?s work. I deserved this after a hard day?s work, didn?t I? I was even fortunate to have built a new home in CLOSE proximity to a few liquor stores ? so who would even know the extent of my indulgences? Wasn?t I clever? And the gas station next to one liquor store was so convenient for my early morning get-right-with-the-world-java (and to dispose of the empty vodka bottles). I even convinced myself that opaque trash bags were invented for my convenience in hiding the evidence from my neighbors. You know those neighbors ? we all have them. They are the folks who have been subjected to the drunken, half-naked versions of us walking our dogs, answering our doors, taking out the mail/trash, buying the girl scout cookies ? all while numbly attempting to appear sane. I am CERTAIN I have scared a few hapless ?burbites with my smeared mascara and finely scrunched, wild-woman hair!

My childhood was one of fear and the ability to hide (or as I refer to it ?fly under the radar?). I am a middle child of (6) and felt the wrath of Dad?s drinking (sometimes Mom?s, too) through violence and guilt. I was the consummate overachiever. Discovered very early on that good grades kept me out of the target zone. I have long surmised that my valedictory at graduation wasn?t due to any genius on my part ? it was simply a shield from the indignities/abuses of alcohol.

I graduated high school at 17 years of age with the desire to attend college (aka ?get away from home?). Scholarships were out of the question since Dad would not provide a signature or information for the applications. His data was ?none of their #$%^&*#@ business!? Besides, he claimed, ?You?ll appreciate your education more if you earn it yourself.? Ok, Dad. Took a job in a steel foundry where I worked with all men and decided I could do this ? put myself through college. It was a physically challenging and dangerous job but I earned my tuition and was able to school on days and work at night. I thrived on nervous exhaustion and very little sleep. Ah, the days of my youth when sleep was overrated, lol. I digress.

Of course college came with the requisite partying - as did the nightly stops after work to have a ?stress-relief? drink with my co-workers. School, drinking at lunch, work, drinking during work, drinking after work. What a well-rounded circle of booze! I even managed promotions and graduation through all of this drama! I often imagine how much easier it would have been had I been sober. :upset: Of course, I was certain NO ONE knew that I drank to excess, right? I was so damn good at hiding the truth ? even from myself.

I married when I was very young. He thought I was such a smart and fun gal. Heck, I was even more fun and adventurous when I drank. Of course, the aftereffects were NOT so romantic but ? heck; I could talk my way back into his good graces. He was entirely too forgiving. Alcohol, unfortunately, was not. So I quit drinking at the ripe age of 19.

Well ?healthy living? has definite benefits. We conceived a child and I was blissful over our pregnancy. He would be the perfect father and I was certain I could learn the correct mothering rituals. OJT, right? My engineering mind had OCD?d the plans and results. Any analytical tendencies I had were put to valiant use in laying the groundwork for our successful life as a family. But life doesn?t always work to a plan ? a belief which ?youth? seems to obscure.

Fast-forward life ? our daughter died. Complete emotional devastation ensued and I was not initially afforded a moment to grieve as he had a breakdown; I had my hands full in holding (what was left of) our ?life? together. When they placed her tombstone, months following her death, I finally faced reality. Wow. How could I endure this overarching pain? Let?s return to my old ?friend? alcohol. Being ?comfortably numb? was my path to initial relief ? and ultimate destruction.

Years blurred, as did our attempts to conceive again. Thermometers, cycle charts, injections, fertility drugs, hormones, disappointment, mood swings, hemorrhaging, cramps, explanations to family/friends. I started and stopped drinking so damn many times ? depending on the desire to conceive and the need to bear the heartache. We?d miscarry after I had been sober for years ? so I would punish myself with vodka. It removed the immediate pain but left me with long-term anguish. I worked, and thrived, in industry ? hiding my personal failures. I even taught college as an adjunct professor ? assuring myself that surrounding my life with young people would be invigorating. *eyeroll*

At this point in life, I hold an executive position in a global corporation ? and am surrounded by symbiotic overachievers ? but feel very alone. I honestly wonder how I arrived since I have so damn many fuzzy memories. I attempted AA but lived in fear I would see someone I know at meetings. Ultimately, my sponsor was hauled off to prison and I decided I was not willing to risk AA anymore.

Heck; I could do this ?on my own? because I am a strong, surviving woman! Right? Right? Hello? Hellooooooooo?????? Does anyone out there believe this misconception?

I don?t either. We need each other. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
    - Masq ?
    Courage is fear that has said its prayers. - Karl Barth
    :wings: :huggy

Good gawd … here I am

"Strong surviving woman", a misconception? Are you kidding me? Read what you posted again. If that's not a story of a strong surviving woman, than I don't know what is. But here's the key. You can be stronger!! It's in you because it obvious in every line written. You can and will be stronger.

I was reading your story about your childhood and could have sworn you were writing my life. Had 2 drinking parents, violence in tow. No suppot from my Dad, even when the school board wanted me to skip a grade because I was "too inteligent" for my age group. At least you fought back, and went to college. I quit school at 16 because I was tired of my brain causing so many problems for my family. It was easier to suscumb to being like them instead of trying to break out. It did finally attend 1 yr of community college (or as I like to call it - clown college). And then years later took a 2 year program ( in 9 months) to become a paralegal. (Which, I have yet held a postion of such title because I don't really care about the profession). Just went out of desparation and bordem.

As far as the later part of your life..well, honey, I just can't relate. I can only imagine the pain. I'm so sorry you had to endure such misery for so long. But I do know that if you can get through that, you can survive anything thrown at you.

Congrats on your 5 days AF!! Good for you. It will get easier. I promise. Keep posting - we are here for you.

Love, Me
    Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

Welcome Masq,

You will find a lot of over achievers on this site, much like yourself. There have been threads in the past about how many artistic, creative, etc. types we have.

Glad you posted and hope you will find lots of support on your journey!

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

Dear Thankful and Ducky - Thank you for your kind responses and sharing. It is a bit cathartic to tell one's story, yeah? I could never muster the courage in AA to relate all of this crap.

I didn't mean to infer that the misconception was about my strength. It is about me "thinking" (in my drunken existence) that I could do this alone. I can't. I share your angst. Please don't believe that I consider myself an overachiever! I am just damn lucky to be alive and kicking. The pull of alcohol is very strong and I have struggled with the inner voices calling out to the urges over the past 5 days. Crapsky, I even drove the long route from work to home to avoid passing the liquor store. I only wonder how long these tactics will remain successful. But I intend to try and remain stronger than the urges. I am praying daily for all of us. WE are worthy of a better life than we have given ourselves. Just wish the crying jags would lessen. I am not feeling pity but I think my body is yelling back at the withdrawal.

Bless you both. Keep kindness next to your soul ... and let's continue in support of one another.

- Masq ... in da skies

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

:welcome: Glad to have you here Yes....together we can all do this....keep coming back..look forward to hearing from you!

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

Masq -

I found your story inspiring. I cannot possible imagine the fury of pain that goes along with losing a child. I will not pretend to relate.

You are an achiever. Leave out the over - that was created by those who cannot achieve.
            Jealousy rears its ugly head.

I think you will settle well in this group.

Lots to read and learn.

Welcome! Dx
            * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

Masq: wow, what a story. I have a friend who lost a daughter at 2 months. I am so sorry as I know that kind of pain stays with you. You are really inspirational! can't entirely relate as I am a classic underachiever, who was married to a classic overachiever (somehow that didn't work out
              stick around. we want to hear more from you Masq!:welcome:
              :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

Masq - A big hello.

Your story is indeed inspiring and I really like Dx's "leave out the 'over-". Because here you can be you. Just you....over, under, both, new, old......whenever, wherever....so you don't ever have to 'act'. And you will have so many hands to hold. All sorts of things can be sorted here - all the things that have a direct link to drinking and those that seem not to - but I guess must. (Well, I know they do but they are different for everyone, and in the order in which they come up!)

Your pain must be agony....I can not begin to imagine. I can only hold that in my heart.

I married young too. My parents rowed and war-ed together with me, an only child, in the middle....they weren't drinkers but a lot of it's similar yet different....childhood damage...ouch. But here mine is slowly beginning to heal - and that after 32 years of counselling of so many types... (Good stuff but there's something about MWO!)

I do hope you can begin to relax a little here and find you - you sound lovely.

And the crying jags? Ugh! Went on for a couple of weeks or three with me interspersed with rage! Um.....embarrassed, but yet not; you are not alone as I wasn't....classic but it passes. Let the tears wash out some of that pain.

Looking forward to reading more of your story, Masq...

WELL DONE on the 5 days! These days sound different...I do hope so for you.

Love FMS xx (I was FInding My Feet when I started out here....found them and have moved on to my Self! Then, if blessed, it'll be my Soul!)
                :heart: c: :heart:
                "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

Masq, :welcome: to MWO,

Your story has touched me too ........ you are one strong lady........ keep strong...

:goodjob: on day 5, keep us posted ........

BB xx
                  sigpicXXX

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

:welcome: Masq.....like everyone else here you are valued and needed here just as you are.....achieving or not LOL!

Your 5 days is amazing.....stay strong, this is the hardest bit....gets better after about day 6/7 for a lot of people. :h

Thanks for your honest post.....you rang bells for lots of us!

Suze x
                    Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

Way to go on your 5 days!

I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose a child. I cannot even fathom your pain.

You are a very strong woman. I think this place can really help you. Stick around here, there are a lot of great people who will support you in this journey.

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

Masq

Considering what you been through you are doing brilliantly, I am on day 1 after thirty some years of drinking, stopped once for 18 months but was politely asked to leave AA for not being a proper alcoholic, didn't need to cross the road to get past the liquor store or bar, that was nearly 20 years ago, I think with enough support in this forum we can all achieve what we want.

When I was in sobriety I have to tell you, it was one of the happiest times of my life the difficulty is starting, thats what we are doing, and it does get better and fast. Stick with it you are clearly a pretty amazing person and when you do this you will find that you see your amazing self and like her!

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

I am always deeply moved when someone exposes so much of their pain and struggle and hope here - it is a showing of trust and love, and of faith that this damn beast can be overcome.

Thank you for sharing your story and your self. Stick around - you are sure to make some good friends here, learn a lot about addiction and healing, and about yourself.

Welcome!!
                          FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

Dear Accountable, Hamlet, Choklyt, Determinatrix, Dex, FMS, BettyB, Suze, MyOwnWoman –

Your encouragement is so valued. Thank you. I don’t really FEEL like a strong woman – in fact this alkie thing brings me to my knees! Just thinking I have strong survival skills in other avenues of my life … why the hell can’t I draw upon them now?

Honestly, I chose my screen name because I feel I live my entire life in a lie - the shame, the cover-ups and the manic dance of a slightly mad woman trying to keep it all together. There isn’t a day that passes without my emotional obsessing over the fear of being discovered for who I really am. The lies and the guilt certainly give us all double duty in everything we attempt!! What a wasted effort on this crappolla.

I want to reclaim life. Today has been sooooooo hard. I keep positively focused on the fact that I made it through a Friday night. That is a freakin’ miracle for a pint-a-day vodka lover like me!! I commented on chat the other night that I have killed so much Grey Goose in my life that the ASPCA ought to be looking for me. (

My friends have always noted my Irish ancestry as the source of my booze-fun. Heck, I am fairly sure vodka is made from potatoes?? That … or perhaps I have a bit of Russian in my genetic fabric.

C’mon day 6!! Sundays are for respite. I will give special thanks to God at Mass tomorrow … and will pray for each and every one of us.

Love to all. - Masq

Comment

Good gawd … here I am

Vodka was my vice too. I could tip back a pint every night easy.......

I was living behind the 'mask' for a loooong time and NO ONE had any idea what I did when I returned home from work. I was working in a High Profile position and seemingly everyone thought I had my 'shit' together.

After about 5 years of doing this nightly, I couldn't 'fake' it anymore. I started to nip at the vodka in the morning, and it progressed from there. It was like a noose around my neck. It was a drug that I thought I couldn't live without. I started to look way older than I was, I couldn't mask the effects anymore. I knew I needed to quit. I confided in family and friends, and then all went to Hell in a handbasket. It was then that I realized I really needed to do something about it. Thankfully, I had found out I was pregnant, so I 'quit' drinking in 2004.

WELL, that was all fine and dandy, but as soon as I gave birth and returned home from the hospital, I started to drink again. At first it was beer, then it progressed again. My husband is an alcoholic too, so that didn't help me much either. A year later, I, honestly, out of sheer desperation looked for some miracle on the internet.

That is when I found MWO. I had NEVER been a part of any online group. I browsed around a lot before I became a member. Everyone here seemed so compassionate and geniune. I started to post and had wonderful responses. A lot of those people are still here, and I can honestly say, they saved my life. Actually with the support I received here, I was given my life back. My 2 year old daughter will never know I was messed up, because now she has the absolute best of me.

I recently went back to work for a kick-ass organization, and I LOOOVE the freedom of not being chained to the vodka. I get up and go to work happy, healthy and sober. I didn't lose my last good job because someone found out I had been drinking, I succumbed to the alcohol and quit - like how bad is that? Now that I have a handle on this demon, I can enjoy all aspects of my life. People now know the real me and not the 'phasade' I was.

So stick around, and keep on going!! You won't be sorry. We will be here for you!!

Comment

Working...
                              X