What came first, the chicken or the egg.. my story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As many of you know, I am currently going through a separation with my husband. This past weekend I was trying to figure out my part in all of this, as I know I have one. I really want to figure out where my faults were so I can better myself as a person. So, of course, I must look at alcohol. So, what came first, the chicken, or the egg, or in my world, the problems with husband or my alcohol problem.

Well, of course, it is alcohol. I began drinking at the age of 14. I first ran away when I was 14, and finally moved out of my parent’s house for good at the ripe age of 15. I haven't really quit drinking since. I am what one would call a mis-placed over-achiever. I never really had a home when I left at 15, but I had a lot of ambition! I lived with my then boyfriend, hot guy with great car, cool apartment, and of course he dealt drugs. I gathered my senses and called my aunt who was a very successful business woman in San Francisco. I told her I was just going to be passing through, but she knew it was a cry for help and sent me a bus ticket. She welcomed me with open arms and put me back in school. However, the pressure to fit in to an inner-city school was great, and I found the best way I knew how, and that was with the party crowd, and off I went again. After the year came up, I moved back to my home state and at 16, took my high school equivalency test, and got a job. I went to work (lied and said I was 18), got an apartment and pretended to be an adult. I met a guy at work and soon after moved in with him. He was wonderful, still is, but was a large cocaine dealer - oh great! We were together for 7 years. But, within those 7 years I drank and did a lot of partying.

Fast-forward, at 19, I got a degree in travel and tourism, started a travel agency, lost that, at 23, met a millionaire and traveled the world with him partying for three years, at 26, came back met a man, got engaged for 4 years, partied with him, left him, got a great job in hotel marketing and moved to Tokyo, moved back, took a sabbatical and went to school for a year to become an esthetician and body worker, at 32 met a man, had a baby, moved to where I live now, at 35, met another man got married two years later and here I am, eight years later with a wonderful child and a beautiful business, all while drinking - HOW IN THE HELL DID I DO IT! On auto-pilot, I have decided. There is so much about my life I am proud of, but I missed so much along the way, because I was drinking, and for the most part, running.

Three years ago I saw the Dalai Lama. I don't know if that is what started my quest for understanding me more, or I was just fed up (my husband and I had just lost a business), but that is when I decided to quit drinking, or at least try. I quit drinking for 6 months, and my life did change. I was going to AA then. I didn't really like the AA politics and drama, but I didn't know anything else. However, I was sober. My husband HATED the idea of me going to AA. I think he was embarrassed. He also liked me drinking with him, if even on the occasional basis. So, I told myself I would moderate. Thus became my three year quest for the magic moderation solution. Unfortunately, I never found it. I have tried and tried for the past three years like no one else. My resolve has always been to moderate, or "sober up" for a time (30 days, etc.) and then moderate again. I was so caught up in the "romance' of wine, that and being able to drink with my husband. Those times were so good, at least most of them, and certainly in the beginning. It is amazing how entranced I was in chasing these illusions. I really just wanted to drink. I would say, "I just want to be able to have a glass of wine with dinner", or "How can I go to Italy without drinking wine"? What a lie I told myself. Actually, I did believe it, so I am not sure it was a lie at the time, but I think I knew. Why could I not see it? If I could have moderated, I would have. How many times does it take? Why couldn't I have seen this after the first few times? AA used to say "alcohol" is cunning, I disagree, it is our own minds that are cunning. When we let them run amok they will do all sorts of things, like a small child. "What can I get away with"?

My relationships have always been based on drinking, my choice. If a man didn't drink he would not be around. If he did not allow me to drink, he would not be around. Period. I know this now. The hard part for me today is that I started a relationship with a man 8 years ago when I was drinking, and he was a suitor for me then. My husband was/is a heavy drinker, or he wouldn't be with me. He does not acknowledge this, but that is not my battle to fight. I have been struggling to change for the past three years, but I would go back to the romance of having a glass of wine with my husband (however it was usually more), that is what we knew, that was part of us, this is how we would reconnect if we were drifting apart. So, what came first, the problem with alcohol or the problem with my husband, they are one. And that makes me sad. I wish it were different. I have tried to separate them, but either I am not able to, or he does not want to, either way, I must take care of myself.

Anyway, I must continue to grow, for me and for my daughter.. Maybe I have outgrown my relationship with my husband. I am VERY sure I have outgrown my relationship with alcohol. I have heard many times in this forum that to be successful one must make the mental change from controlling our drinking problem to becoming a non-drinker. I am proud to say that I want to be known as a non-drinker. I want to be free from that want/hope cycle. Drinking is no longer an option. I am a non-drinker. I am free.

Thank you for giving me a place to get this out. I have never really told my story. Thank you for those that stuck it out and read it, I hope it helps someone in some way.

Namaste,

MM
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Thank you MM - I did stick it out and read all the way through - it will help - I will make it help me - "I have outgrown my relationship with alcohol" - thanks.
    And as you always say - Namaste
    J

Comment

Wow MM -
      Thanks for writing and sharing that. I can so relate. It really helped me today-
      wonder xx

Comment

Hi MM,
        Good question, which came first, we can all ask ourselves that question. Which came first, business, career problems or alcohol, depression or alcohol, bad choices or alcohol, damaged relationships or alcohol...........these questions could go on and on.

One thing we do know for sure, is that life changes when we become non-drinkers. The burgundy haze of wine and booze is lifted and life becomes more clear. We become more clear and know that we need to make new, wiser choices. Above all, we need to stay a non-drinker and change those things and yes, sometimes people in our lives that no longer work to our greater good.

MM, I enjoy your thoughtful post's and you are always a joy in chat! Namaste, mean "From my spirit to yours, I bow to you". What a truly beautiful phrase!

So Namaste, my friend,
        KateH
        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

i love your story and it really hit home...it is so wonderful to give a part of yourself that way...i have not been able to do it yet...I have had huge partying days like you and am finally over it...i want to be a non drinker so badly...but AA does not work for me...i hope the combo of MYO & the lenair center will work in February...i too worry what will happen with hubby when I quit...i was AF for 3 months last summer and it was great for me but not great for us...I must do it for me as you stated..and the rest will follow...thanks for getting my day started in a good frame of mind...have a great day...continue on the journey...blessings...buckle

Comment

Thank you for the story...I can relate to the relationship parts of it. It amazes me how much the haze of drinking can cover up..it's almost like drinking is the third party in the relationship, and when the third party is gone, the two of us don't know how to make it work. I recently ended a 15-month relationship (not marriage) for this very reason. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Comment

Meditation Mama - I can most certainly relate to choosing men based on my ability to drink with them. Been doing that since I was 18 (so omg, that's what, 24 years now?).

Maybe what came first, I ponder based on my own experience, is the quest (however damaging) to have something to hold on to, something to relate to. Alcohol... men... chaos... drama... we seek something, ANYthing, that gives us some sort of identity. Al gave us that when we were young, we thought relationships could give us that...

What came first was emptiness. What came second was desperate attempts to fill it.
              FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

And now our charge is to fill that emptiness with Self.

And I suppose once we do we'll chuckle to realize that we were never really empty after all.
                FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

I loved reading your story, MM. I share a similar relationship with alcohol in my life. I am grateful that alcohol never made me do something terrible. Actually, it fueled the party quite well, propelling me through life where I had many wonderful and memorable experiences. Towards the end of my drinking days, however, I began to REQUIRE alcohol for pretty much everything: to do my laundry, pay my bills, clean the house, go to social functions, play guitar, read, make dinner, clean the litter box, etc. The only thing I didn't need alcohol for was to sleep. And I didn't need it first thing in the morning although I contemplated starting the day with a cocktail but I knew that it would not be a good idea until I got home from work. On days I didn't work, I found about 2 PM a good time to start in on drinking - and sometimes earlier. I sure felt awful on those days. I want to address the sex issue. My bf and I were major drinking buddies for the five plus years we have been together. We both became non-drinkers after our visits with Rhonda Lenair in early September of 2007. We both notice that our sex life is way less active than it used to be. This is not to say it is troubling. But it is noticeable. I am also post menopause and pretty much have to use extra help to get my sex drive going which is a drag as I used to have a great sex drive. This is not going to get me to start drinking again, that's for sure. Things I love about not drinking anymore: Getting a great night's sleep, waking up and not having a hangover, not being bloated, not hiding things, enjoying a good meal, not obsessing about alcohol, having a more even temperament, hanging out longer at work or social occasions because I am not antsy to get home to drink, feeling sane, well, the list is endless...

Comment

Wow MM...that is one heck of a story! I can very much identify the romance with wine that you wrote about and always seeking out "the party".
                    Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

MM it sounds like a very interesting life, and you are now about to start a different stage in awareness. who came first ? what came first? is not really that important
                      what really matters is that you are ready to move to the next level.
                      good luck with your life journey

T
                      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

MM - that was wonderful for me to read........I can relate to a lot of things......thank you so much for sharing your story.

You have been very supportive of me and I hope that I can do the same.

Thank you,
                        Love and Hugs......
                        Uni
                        Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                        :h

Comment

MyOwnWoman;251786 wrote:
                          What came first was emptiness.

What came second was desperate attempts to fill it. And now our charge is to fill that emptiness with Self.

And I suppose once we do we'll chuckle to realize that we were never really empty after all.
                          Very profound, MOW.. I will definately ponder that one today. Thank you. YOU are growing, my friend!!

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. It is amazing to me how we are all so much alike. I read the stories here, you read mine, we are all so interconnected. It may have been brought by alcohol, but I am glad I know each and every one of you.

Namaste,

MM
                          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Dear mm,

Wow you sound like me, except I stay in the relationships. My husband is also a drinker (my drinking buddy) and I'm dying inside. I want to quit but he'll bring home a giant bottle of vodka. He knows I don't drink well I've tried AA, moderation, supplements. I have read almost every book on alcoholism. I am afraid of how the dynamics of our relationship will change too?? We've been drinking and partying for as long as I've known him. Its ridiculous your post all to familiar. I want to be better for me and my kids (adults) yes I have already ruined them! hopefully not!! I killed my business, and am now going back to school. Also I agree with what one other post said you kind of hang on to someone and then try to fill the void with alcohol. Almost 80% of the women in the perimenopausal to menopausal period that I personally know are alcoholics (and wonderful people).

When the heart cries for what it has lost the soul sings for what its found.
                            :l Anxious
                            Anxious

When the heart cries for what it has lost the spirit sings for what it has found!

Comment

I just read your post. And although I don't have as much life experience I can really connect with what you are saying.
                              I have the same connection with alcohol and my husband. Although this time we are trying to quit together.

But your word ring very true to me.

Tam xx
                              Smile at everyone, you never know the burdens they bare.

You can't see the light, unless you've been in the dark

Comment

Working...
                              X