Raiders of the Lost Ark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Has anyone ever noticed the drinking scenes in ?Raiders of the Lost Ark??

When I first saw that movie I absolutely and totally fell in love with Karen Allen when she drank the big guy under the table and within a half hour proceeded to land a pretty good blow to Harrison Ford?s jaw. What a woman and what a way to prove your prowess (man or woman)

Then, later on, when Indy assumes that Marion is dead he is shown getting pretty wasted to forget his pain.

Not too long after that Marion uses her charms and a bottle of Bellochs home estate label to not only try to escape, but also to look pretty damn good in trying and both having a good time being shit faced.

The last line of the movie I have always cherished as my own and for some stupid reason have hoped that some trivia contest will ask the question ?what is the last line from Raiders of the Lost Ark? To which I will cockily reply (from Marion to Indy) ?Come on, buy you a drink; you know, a drink?

I have always remembered being infatuated with alcohol. From the images of Dean Marten (who we find out did not drink) to foster brooks, to Jerry Lewis in the movie ?Way Out? it always seemed to have that je ne sais que.

My parents, I am certain, have never touched a drop of alcohol in their lives but were never tyrants. In fact there were many Friday nights in my high school days that between 20 and 100 0f me and my siblings friends and acquaintances congregated on a parcel of my family farm to commence to down 1 or more kegs and etc and the folks never said a word. Parties on Friday and Saturday nights was a given and I cannot remember how many times I looked out my bedroom window and in a panic thought ?where is my car? or even worse ?Wow there is my car, how did I get it here?

Fast forward to now and I am looking for a ?way out? I am not in as super bad way. I have never hit, hurt, scratched. or even touched anyone while drinking. I have not been arrested for DWI (since I was 19) (I am now 49) but I do think I have a problem. I learned that the Russians drank Vodka since it does not produce a scent on the breath, so that is what I have chosen to be the poison of choice, at about a pint a night (only after 8:00). I know that there are many aspects of life that I have given up due to feeling like shit in the morning. I am always thinking of how to be able to find liquor while traveling for work. I panic if my flight is delayed past 10:00 since I won?t find a liquor store open. I will spend $25.00 + on a bottle of wine at the hotel if that happens.

I have downloaded and read the book and have a MD appointment next week and feel that by writing this my commitment will be resolved to get with this program. I Hope this works.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Chi, thanks for sharing your story, hmmmm sounds familiar!! Same with ciggie for me, damn they made them look good in the movies. And we wonder why the younger generation wants to drink!!
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Welcome Chi :welcome: and thanks for sharing your story.

I too have never hurt anyone while drinking (except for the emotional hurt to my mother and sister) nor have I had a DUI, but I definitely have a problem too. Like you, too much of my evening (let's face it, ALL of my evening) used to revolve around alcohol. After finding this site I'm not on day 14 AF (alcohol free) thanks to the support and information I've found here each day.

Good luck with starting the MWO programme, and do keep us updated.

Wooflet x

Comment

Raiders of the Lost Ark

your story is like most everybodys and me, good luck

Comment

Raiders of the Lost Ark

It's always a struggle v. determination. Discipline and desire... It's what all brings us here one way or the other. Thanks for sharing...
          Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Thanks for the words of comfort and wisdom. One of the stranger things is regarding the comment about cigarettes, from LVT25, and also other drugs I may have tried is that I can take them or leave them. I have always, since my early 20's smoked about 10 to 15 cigarettes a year and have never bought any. I smoke a little grass now and then and have even given free base a try 10 years ago but could take it or leave it. I have always been a heavy drinker on the weekends but now it is every day so this stuff must (in some) creep up on you. I was of the mind that I did not have an "addictive" personality because of my experiences with the other substances but I guess I figured wrong.

Wow, it seems really strange seeing myself write this stuff.

Comment

Raiders of the Lost Ark

chi142gb;325840 wrote: Thanks for the words of comfort and wisdom. One of the stranger things is regarding the comment about cigarettes, from LVT25, and also other drugs I may have tried is that I can take them or leave them. I have always, since my early 20's smoked about 10 to 15 cigarettes a year and have never bought any. I smoke a little grass now and then and have even given free base a try 10 years ago but could take it or leave it. I have always been a heavy drinker on the weekends but now it is every day so this stuff must (in some) creep up on you. I was of the mind that I did not have an "addictive" personality because of my experiences with the other substances but I guess I figured wrong.

Wow, it seems really strange seeing myself write this stuff.
              :welcome: :new: too.

Perhaps we do not look at AL the same way as other drugs because it is ubiquitous, legal and socially acceptable?

Comment

Working...
              X