Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

it's take 4 years to find out that I am an alcoholic !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all,

After having an abdominal scan two weeks ago (for IBS and diverticulitus, which was diagonosed 4 years ago) it was discovered that I had an enlarged liver, so blood tests were done, which confirmed that I have an alcholic liver.

I promptly came home and spent hours on different web-sites to find out exactly what the symptons are, and the treatment ...... my husband and I always enjoyed a bottle of wine with our evening meal, and after he died twelve years ago .... I continued, and gradually, worked my way through the bottle alone - then I started buying 3litre box wine, which would last for two nights ... I never drank before 6pm in the day, and have never been drunk !! Although, I did realize that I was probably drinking too much. So, you can imagine my horror at the diagnosis.

Anyway, after spending all those hours researching, I would like to share the following with you, I have been to the Doctor over the past four years with ALL these complaints, and they are ALL symptoms.

1. Strange reddish discolouration on both lower legs - treated as exema

2. Swelling ankles (treated as bad circulation)

3. being bloated (IBS)

4. shortness of breath ( enlarged heart - pump given)

5. Panic attacks / depression ( anti-depressant given)

6. red eyes (eye drops given)

7. Chronic fatigue/sleeping too much/absolute loss of interest in everything

8. Loss of appetite ( Meal replacement shakes recommended)

9. Feeling of shivering inside/ slight balance problem/ (anxiety - calmitive given)

10. Turning night into day (thought I was just weird !)

11. Strangest dreams - (thought I was even weirder !)

Now, all those are symptoms of alcoholism, and they were ALL in my medical file !!!

Today is my 6th AF day - I've got the shakes, mild headache, no appetite but drinking loads of tomato juice etc.

Red Wine.....welcome to MWO and thank you for sharing your list of symptoms with us. I'm sure they will be familiar to many of us here. A big well done on getting such a good start with your 6th AF day......are you taking any vitamins/supplements??? Milk thistle is very good for the liver.

Hope you find MWO helps you on your AF journey......I'm sure it will. We are people from all different parts of the world with this one disease in common.......we understand and are here for you should you need us.

Much love and good luck

Janicexxx
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Sweet JANICE

I said Disease last night and got my ass kicked.lol
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

It is a disease.
        AF since 9 May 2012
        Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Red ~ Welcome. Boy, you deifinately took the long way in trying to fix things. A lot of missed diagnoses. Whew.

Are they no longer treating the other symptoms the old way? What are they going to do for you?

Thank you for sharing that list. Keep us informed. We are here for you.

Love, Me
          :l
          Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

my meds

Thank-you Janice and Thankful - I'm very pleased that I found this site

my Dr has put me on to Thiamine 100mg twice a day

Folic Acid, and, Vit BCO FTE 2 x twice a day

I'm also having a series of Vit B12 injections, when I see her again on Friday, I will ask her about Milk Thistle and Lecithin as I have noticed that they both keep getting mentioned.

:thanks:

Comment

That makes a lot of sense. The B vitamins get depleted from the body when we drink too much. That is what this program suggests as well - a good vitamin B complex.

If you are interested in cutting back or quitting drinking, I would suggest you get the book from the Health Store link listed above. It explains about the supplements used here. You might want to ask your Dr about them.

Good luck. Keep us posted. We are here for you.

Love, Me
              Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Hello Red,

I too am amazed at all the "dysfunctions" not only in my body, but my mind and my life that are magically clearing up now that I'm purging the booze out of my body and life. Not only is it a disease as Janice pointed out, it *is* a poison as well.

Congrats day six is a break through day it will start to get noticeably better each new day forward and if you thought your dreams were strange before you ain't seen nothing yet!!

:welcome:
                4tb
                Is Addiction Really a Disease?
                Watch this and find out....
                http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Hello Red
                  I was tested for IBS and diverticulitis too as I had some recurring digestive issues over many years. Tests showed I didnt have either and I just took buscopan (gastroeeze) a smoth muscle relaxant any time I had stomach cramps and avoided certain foods that triggered it. Anyway amazingly enough since I have been AF and NF since 1 April all of the symptoms and aches and pains have all vanished! hello.... Talk about denial - it never occurred to me that the digestive issues were related to the AL/Nico. Clearly they were. And as for avoiding certain foods (not including AL and Cigarettes of course) well that was a load of bollix too as I have tried them since and nada..... I also though I was going through early menpause - but no not that either! It seems so obvious now. I hope you will be able to repair your liver damage and thanks for the warnings.
                  BH

Comment

Red: Welcome & come to MWO (any forum) whenever you feel like you might drink. The liver is an amazing organ & can heal itself when we stop putting poison into it. Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Redwine,
                      Welcome, welcome. Thanks for the list. I am also struggling with the denial thing - am I really an alcoholic? Despite my own personal list of proofs. Yes, I am an alcoholic and must not, cannot ever drink alcohol, but oh, the beast still wants to make me believe that I can have a little glass every now and then. Which ends up as a 2-4 day binge.
                      I wish you everything of the best.
                      Love
                      Jessie
                      make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Hi Red-Wine. I just now found your journal and wanted to congratulate you on your 6 days AF. That is quite a symptom list and must be very scary. How are you doing today?

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi red-wine :welcome: to MWO ........

Well done on your AF days and thank you for sharing that interesting list ..........

Keep reading and posting, this is an excellent place ........

BB xx
                          sigpicXXX

Comment

Hello Red Wine, welcome to the site. Thank you very much for sharing both the list of symtoms and the Dr recommended treatment. It may prevent others from having to go through the frustraion of what you did. Take care.

Comment

Red wine, hello.

I read your post and thought 4 years? gee I would have been only ...... well we won't go there. Good luck to you. Moving in the right direction.
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                              X