A postcard from Africa...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an experiment. I need to exorcise some demons ? clear out old memories and cobwebs, to make room for new. I am not a word smith. My sister is the writer in the family, I'm the painter. My head and dreams are being bombarded with these images and I thought that if I 'put it out there' that some peace may come................

The road from the capital to where we live is one large pothole. We have to avoid the islands of tarmac as they are sitting proud of the road by 10 inches or more, the red dust is billowing from around us as we make our way home. We have our windows open, as the air-conditioner increases petrol consumption ? our 'black gold' in this economic decline. Everything is getting harder to come by. There is a road block up ahead and we slow down preparing for the routine inspection. The car is searched for weapons, paperwork is checked and questioned. An interesting situation considering chances are that this soldier is illiterate. The standard procedure is not to look anybody in the eyes, smile a little but don't show your teeth and feign patience. Forty five minutes later we carry on our journey. We pass through a village, we were here 2 days ago but the entire scene has changed. The dirt is stained black in places, smudged reminders of a massacre that has taken place. What a wonderfully versatile tool the machete is. The buildings have been ransacked and partially destroyed, crops burned and some of the remaining bodies are piled up waiting to be burned. The stench causes bile to rise in the back of your throat. The heat and risk of disease negate the humanity of funerals. There is a mass of people moving on, carrying a few belongings that weren't destroyed or stolen. The usual vacant expression of shock and grief. Moving on, feeling nothing and going nowhere. With AIDS rife (called Slim here, as you become slim and then die) the social structure of family has changed beyond recognition. Parents are generally the ones that die first, leaving their children to be tended to and looked after by the grandparents. When the grandparents die, hopefully from old age and a life for filled, the eldest child becomes the head of the family. Responsible for the livelihood and survival of siblings at such a young age. But, I digress.

We are home, the siren from the local multi-national company sounds the curfew signal. Anybody out between 6pm and 6am will be shot & killed. Those are the rules. At the beginning belly crawling around under the windows watching the tracer lights from the bullets being fired down the street had curiosity value. My adrenaline pumping too much to just be able to sit in the dark and wait it out until bed time. Now it's just another routine. No lights on or TV, just the radio playing quietly.

We have CB radios to keep in touch with friends. To 'check-in' and confirm that all is well. Our German friend has been a single mother here for many years, her two older daughters are 'safely' ensconced in a rural convent, her 11 year old daughter lives with her. We get a call that she is being raided, but we can't go too her. It's curfew. First thing in the morning we are there and cautiously approach her house. Bullet holes riddle the outside and windows are smashed. The detritus of civilized living litters her front garden. They are beaten but alive, although forever changed. She was raped by the 5 'gorillas', they left the daughter, but only because she begged them to use her body and not the child's. She lay across her daughter, they looked in to the young face of terror and anguish whilst releasing their venom on the woman's body.

Many times at a road blocks, we encounter the child soldiers. Boys between the ages of 9 and 12. Stolen from their villages to make up the numbers for the new militia. They live in the camps with the soldiers and whores (also stolen from their lives). The boys' eyes are bloodshot and glazed from booze and dakka, they lean through the car window with their AK47s casually slung from an arm, the boyish bravado long gone ? replaced by bordom and fatigue. Our currency now to accommodate free movement is sugar and cigarettes. Bribery has become a valid endeavor, no longer a characteristic of the corrupt.

Eventually, the British Army declares that it is time for us to evacuate. All women, children and non-essential persons are to be removed. We are herded onto buses at the border, carrying hand luggage only. Maybe our homes and personal effects will still be there when we come back ? one month, six months, who knows.

We take the slow night train down to the coast. We need a bit of a holiday to recharge our batteries. The gentle rock of the train lulls me into a peaceful sleep, but I awaken each time it stops, the rhythm gone. I crack the curtain open to see where we are, with my chin propped on my fist I can see the first glow of dawn on the horizon. The silhouette of giraffes gently ambling across the view. As the sun rises, the red reflection spreads across the landscape. A symbol of past blood shed and the blood that will be shed in years to come. Nothing really changes here. Life is cheap.
    The mind is in its own place, and in itself
    Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.

John Milton

Jinja,

I do not even know how to begin to respond to this. The picture is horrific.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Are you sure your not the writer jinja?. I think the 'memories' where beautifully scripted and I got a real 'feel' for those memories of yours, albeit not so good ones. I think you have a real way with words. Have you thought of starting your own online blog, either here (subscribers only I think) or another online blog site?. I think a lot of people would get a lot out of these memories and demons you are exorcising.

Love and Happiness (as always my S.A friend!)
      Hippie
      xx
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Me neither - words fail me. Man's inhumanity to man knows no bounds.
        I hope life has improved for you since then? I assume this was some time ago?
        BH

Comment

Horrific, just horrific.

Comment

Jinga,

You are a word smith. You paint beautifully with your words.

Keep painting for us.

magic xxx
            ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
            I am in the next seat.
            My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

I hope by continued writing you find your peace. Beautifully written.
              Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

reading, i felt like i was there. well versed.
                dove

Comment

Jinja, you are most definitely a wordsmith. Beautifuly written. Such tragedy and human degradation you see every day. I cannot even imagine living as you do. All I can think is how spoiled many of us must seem to those that live under such conditions.

I hope that one day soon, peace can come to Africa. I pray that you will be safe and well fed.

Be Well
                  A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Jinja, that was very well written - are you talking about fleeing Zimbabwe ? The people there are living a nightmare.

I too, live in South Africa. xxx

Comment

Such a tragic tale - so beautifully written. My problems are so petty. I am SO richly blessed in my life and it's shameful how much I take for granted.

Thank you, and I wish you healing and peace.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Jinja:l

You've just "painted" a very clear picture with your words.
                        I pray that it helps you to get it out and share it.
                        We have begun to take our freedom for granted here. That is a dangerous thing to do.
                        Freedom is not free...somebody pays for it with blood sweat and tears.
                        God help us.

:l
                        Nancy
                        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

i love it jinja, am sure you are it has to be zibabwe and yes may peace be to african nations, when there was chaos here in kenya, i remembered the masaccar in rwanda and i saw kenya going there,
                          and looking at countries like burundi, sierra leon and now zibabwe, its such apinful to imagine leave alone knowing actually that what you have written down is happening as we speak.
                          may you find peace jinja and to all zibabwe people my thoughts are with you and prayers

Comment

Hi jinja!

Hope you don't mind me slightly:hijacked: hijacking your thread.

I thought I'd share some music here with you today from a collective known as 1 Giant Leap

I absolutely love World fusion music and 1 Giant Leap and The Afro Celt Sound System are my favs.

So here is a piece of music I hope you'll enjoy as much as I do.

1 Giant Leap feat. Micheal Franti. "Passion".

Last night I went to sleep as a child.
                            Only to wake up this morning and find I was a man.
                            In my hands I discovered the tools and the rage of my father,
                            And in my heart I found the love and the fears of my mother.

Confrontation between the night and day.
                            The land of the sea.
                            The fire and the air,
                            the sacred and the profound.
                            The holy and the unholy,
                            the focused and the miss directed.
                            The bullet and the flesh.
                            The mind and the spirit and the sound when you hear it.
                            The oppressor and the resistor,
                            the brother and the sister.
                            We are not walking with the ghosts of the dead.
                            We are alive with the spirit of our passion.

We are not walking with the ghosts of the dead.
                            We are alive with the spirit of our passion.

[ame= ]YouTube - One Day (1 Giant Leap)[/ame]

This song is so euphoric!!

Love and Happiness
                            Hippie
                            xx
                            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I hasten to say that this happened years ago in Uganda ? Masaai, we were neighbours a while back then! I think that the recent violence here and the escalation again in Zim has brought back some feelings and sadness. A regretful part is that these memories could be mirrored in many African countries when things go wrong. But??..

When things go right??.what a glorious and wonderous land this is. I still marvel at the eclectic composition of culture and beliefs! That in many cases it is this amalgam that generates positive passions and growth???..the joy from sharing and accepting differences???This is the Africa that I love, the one I treasure and the one I try to cultivate!

Regarding the Blog ? I might give it a go, I think a ?mind dump? therapy might be right up my street every now and again. But really, after a story or two I?m not really that interesting.

Thanks for reading and your thoughts!

Take care
                              xxx

PS Hippie - Once again I'm stuck using my phone. Will try and log in on an proper machine and listen tomorrow. Thanks
                              The mind is in its own place, and in itself
                              Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.

John Milton

Comment

Working...
                              X