newbie and scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie and scared

I am new here and can use all the help I can get. My story is I am a problem drinker and always was. I have never sought out or had any sort of treatment. Because I am highly functional drinker, I delude myself that it's ok to drink so much. Why not? I work, keep a nice house, have a family....I deserve it. I wonder though, what would a life without drinking be like? I know I cant stop on my own. I've tried. The cravings come and my brain says " go ahead, it's alright, you deserve it!" Any words of wisdom would be welcome. If the first step is ask for help....Please help me!

:new:

newbie and scared

Hi Penny....you're in the right place. I started a new thread (Newbies Unite) a couple days ago....it's been growing like wildfire, with all of us just starting out and helping support one another....I hope you'll join us there as you will be welcomed with open arms...............
    Renewal

Comment

newbie and scared

penny0709;350201 wrote: My story is I am a problem drinker and always was. I wonder though, what would a life without drinking be like?
      I wondered the same thing Penny. Try looking at your life now except take out all those moments when "having just one," you said "I'll get to that later" and never did, you can add in really good nights sleep, feeling better, looking better, being happier, more energetic, extra cash in your wallet and no more booze breath to name just a few! There is a tremendous up side to not drinking and worth every bit of effort to get there.

I look forward to hearing more of your journey!

4tb :welcome:
      Is Addiction Really a Disease?
      Watch this and find out....
      http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

newbie and scared

:hello2::colorwelcome::groupluv::wave:sorry i cant really tell you about any of the meds here .. but i can tell you.. life will be better without al in your life. you can do it.. this is a great place to learn .. and we are here for you
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

newbie and scared

Hey welcome, you have come to the right place for encouragement and support. Read as much
          as you can. Stay close and post often.

Good Luck
          Biscuit

Comment

newbie and scared

Hi Penny and :colorwelcome: to My Way Out!! I can relate to so much of your story - somehow I was a functional drunk. I was also a daily drinker so had no clue how to even imagine a sober life. I've been working at this for almost a year, with some success and some "learning experiences" along the way. I have finally figured out that sober IS better - WAY better and I'm finding beauty in getting things done each day instead of sticking my head in the bottle and procrastinating LIFE. You can too. All of us can.

If you haven't already done so, I would highly recommend downloading the My Way Out book from the Health Store. It's the best $12.95 (US) I've spent in a LONG time.

Also, I think some good food for thought about what a sober life has to offer can be found in this thread: What do you love about your AF life?

Some great reminders of the downsides of drinking are summarized here: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ing-22609.html

We ALL deserve the very best life has to offer, and for most of us, the best can only be had by giving up AL.

Best wishes to you!!

DG
            Celebrating 31 Hangover Free Days!
            :award: + *
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X