Time to Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to Change

I have been a member on this site for a year and AF for 68 days.I hope that by posting my story it will help me deal with some of the feelings that I have been struggling with lately. I think I am beginning to feel for the first time in a long time. I?m not sure I like what I feel and it reminds me why I was drinking in the first place.
    I am a forty-five year old mother of two boys (19 &13). I was raised by an alcoholic father and a co-dependent mother. My Mom never worked when we were kids and although my Dad drank we had a very good family life. We had a nice house on Long Island, a small boat, a camper and a cabin in upstate NY. We went on vacations every year and I thought we were the most normal family. Looking back how wrong I was. There was not physical abuse, but my father thought AL was more important than anything else in his life. He still does.
    My older brother was a full blown alcoholic by the time he was 21. He stopped drinking shortly after that and has been AF for over 20 years. There is a long line of alcoholics in my family. In fact, I can not think of one male figure in my life that was not an alcoholic.
    So I guess it would only figure that I would marry someone who was not only a drinker but also into drugs. He smoked pot and I made it very clear to him that I wanted no part of the drugs. I was drinking during these years but it was a take it or leave it thing. When we decided to marry I said that there would be no drugs in my house and he agreed.
    Fast forward?we had our first son, moved to Florida and I was never happy again. I did not like being away from family and friends, but I mostly didn?t like being lied to on a daily basis. I knew he was doing drugs, but I could never prove it. I knew because of the money that was spent, the time he was not home phone calls etc. Every time I found anything I was told some crazy story and I remember always feeling like he was trying to make me think I was the crazy one. We had our second child and things continued to be a constant lie. I could always feel it. It is so difficult to always be lied to. You doubt everything. During all this time, I could take or leave alcohol.
    Seven years ago my life changed. My husband and I had a huge fight and he said he was leaving. I had two small children and I was scared. I went to counseling and was put on anti-depressants. It was at that time that my relationship to alcohol changed. It helped me sleep.
    My husband and I worked it out and he moved home a few months later. By that time I believe I was hooked on alcohol. I was hiding how much I was drinking and I stopped the AD medication. It didn?t work while I was drinking anyway.
    About a year later I had realized that having my husband come home was a mistake and shortly later he was arrested for drug possession. I spent the next year taking care of the kids every minute of the day as he was on probation and had to attend something like 20 or more AA meetings a week. He never stopped drinking though. I have never forgiven him for this arrest and we are now living like roommates. I had continued to drink until 68 days ago.
    I wanted to post this because there are things here that I have never told another person about my drinking or my family. I have been feeling so many things lately, but mostly I feel like I have been using alcohol to numb the pain of my unhappiness and lonliness. I look back and question decisions I made and have regrets which makes me want to drink to forget.
    I hope getting this out in the open will help me feel less shamed by those decisions. Not sure where I need to go from here. Staying AF is very important to my future though and with all your help I hope to be able to do that. I would never be able to move forward and address my feelings if I continued on the way things were. Thank you all for all you have done for me and for being here to support me.

Time to Change

time2change i am sending a big hug your way ..yes by writing things down it does help to try tounderstand them ..but there one thing you have to learn dont regret the past.. learn from it and move on stronger and wiser.. you are doing it girl and i am so proud of you for just wanting to share this with everyone ..

darren's rule
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Time to Change

Time2change,

You should be so proud of yourself for 68 days free of the grip of alcohol. That is proof of the strength of your character! It's unfortunate that we are particially a product of our environment. Much like you, I grew up with an alcoholic father and enabling mom. Almost all of my family members are alcoholics, myself included. But I believe that I can break the cycle. You can too. I've been logging on here for more than two years and recognized your screen name immediately. I just wanted to wish you continued strength. I look forward to as many days alcohol free. You're an inspiration.

Julie

Comment

Time to Change

T - thank you for encouraging me to write this. Feels strange to share such personal information, but it also feels good.

Julie - Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this post. I want to believe that we can break this cycle. I do not want to think that my kids will have to deal with this as well. It is very humbling to hear that I can inspire anyone, but I would like to tell you that I will be here cheering you on. Please let me know how you are doing.

Comment

Time to Change

Time to Change, congratulations on the 68 days. That is fantastic and such a good example for your sons. I'm sure it will be the beginning of a brighter future. I hope you can start with making some new friends and doing some nice things for yourself. After you feel better about yourself, you may be able to forgive your husband. Not for his sake, (nor does it have to mean you put up with any more bad behavior), but for yours as it takes energy to stay angry. And then you can make your plans for the future!

Comment

Time to Change

Time2Change: Thank you for the post. We all have stories but you have courage to post it. Be proud and stay strong - I need you too
            :l
            LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Working...
            X