Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how to start.

Hello to all,
    This is my first post so here goes. I have been a functioning alcoholic for about 20 years now. Never really thought of it as a problem, it was just something that was always a part of my life. My Mom drank, my friends drank....so I drank. Seemed like no big deal. I was successful at my career. And although I had failed at my marriage I was, what I thought a very good mother to my son now 12 years old. Overall a happy person. .All of those things being true I ask myself now, why quit? Because deep down I know it is a problem. My health is starting to become an issue. I'm embarrased because I don't remember things. I actually fell once and banged up my knee really bad. I'm tired of stumbling to bed if I even remember going to bed. Yeah, I'm functioning... but not happy. After a few years now of trying to quit I've come across this site. I am so hopeful that I can be free of this demon. So much of what was in the book mirrored my own life it was scary but wonderful at the same time. Because I can relate to so much about it and maybe it will be the key for me.
    So this is day one. I finally have all the medication, supplements and tapes. I am not very good at navigating this site but I am going to try to reach out and use all of your insite and support.
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Not sure how to start.

:hello2::colorwelcome::wave::groupluv:
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Not sure how to start.

Welcome!
      :l
      LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Not sure how to start.

Good for you AK girl!! I've only been here 2 weeks, but it's going great for me. At first, I too found the forum and threads a bit overwhelming, but I have been spending a lot of time reading and posting stuff (I do think that is a key part of my own recovery program), and it's getting clearer..

Welcome, and I'll look forward to hearing more from you about how it's going.

wip

Comment

Not sure how to start.

Thank you, how has it gone so far for you? Are you 2 weeks sober? I wish I was one day sober. I hope I get the hang of this. I think being able to talk with folks in "the same boat" is going to be helpful. Are you on the medications? I'm nervous about starting those.

Comment

Not sure how to start.

Medications

I'm wondering about the medications. Has anyone tried the program without?

Comment

Not sure how to start.

i have done it all cold turkey and i have to tell you its not easy.. but it is doable ..as long as you are ready willing able to do what ever it take to get where you want to be in life .. you can do anything you put your mind to.. give it a try and just do your best stay strong and think positive ..
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Not sure how to start.

Thank you for the encouragement. I want so badly to be a better mother. As we approach his teen years I figure I better be sober and strong cause otherwise I will definately want to drink...heavily.

Comment

Not sure how to start.

AK, I am doing some supps but not any meds. I am doing daily meditation, and exercise, and spending a lot of time here. Paying attention to what I am eating. Just generally working on covering all the bases to get whole and healthy again.

I ordered the topa and it just got here today... but have decided not to use it, at least for now. I am doing fine, have not had a drink since the day I found this program, 2 weeks ago... nothing superhuman about that, that just seems to be my pattern: I drink like a fish, and feel that I am imprisoned by it, and I experience despair... until I get disgusted (and/or hopeful) enough one day, and then quit. For years, a couple of times, other times for months. Then it has always crept back up on me... but I am determined that won't happen again. I'm 56 years old. I really believe we don't get unlimited chances at this...

For a lot of people, the craving and urges are just huge at first, and if you are one of those, you might really benefit from one of the medications, ALONG WITH other aspects of the program. I don't think anyone would recommend doing the medications, just by themselves...

best wishes,

wip

Comment

Not sure how to start.

akgirl.... We put one foot in front of the other, that's all we can do.....Welcome, best wishes ! IAD.
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Not sure how to start.

AKGirl, welcome to the site and thanks for posting your story. Hope to see you on the boards. You'll get the hang of it, I'm sure. Good luck.

Cucks

Comment

Not sure how to start.

Welcome Akgirl,I go to AA meetings, also counselling, my doctor prescribed campral, which
                        does help with the cravings. AA suggest eating something sweet. When you get the urge to drink
                        try eating chocolate, or something else that is sweet. If you drinkat certain times of the day, try
                        putting it off, saying I wont have one now,but later, sometimes the urge goes away if you keep
                        putting it off. Best of luck, you can get over this addiction.

Comment

Not sure how to start.

AKGirl... I took Anatbuse sporadically for about 3 weeks. That was about 3 weeks ago. Since the med was a mental thing for me, I decided to go without and "mentally" challenge myself to do it on my own. It has not been easy - def doable and def WORTH IT... I have a 12 (almost 13) yr old son and a 14 yr old daughter. Originally I stopped drinking for them, and now I am going to continue to not drink for me. Life is so much better without the headaches and guilt. I feel like SUCH a better mother in so many ways. The laundry is done (well, mostly:ey, I grocery shop, I clean house, I COOK DINNER, and I smile alot more. I wish the same for you.

I really believe I could not have done it without coming to this website. When I have slipped, I found solace and encouragement here, when I am bored and wine is calling my name, I can come here to chat, and I simply have a place to come to be completely and blatanly honest with no one judging me. It has made all the difference in the world. In the last 37 days I have had 36 days AF.

Welcome and best wishes. I look forward to reading your posts
                          God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

Not sure how to start.

akgirl - sounds like you are ready to be AF (alcohol free)

I read the book, take the supplements( starter kit mwo health store), listen to the cds, drink lots of lemon water and read and post.

But mostly I just decided that I was done with al !!!

You can do ! This is a great place for support.

Day 37 AF for me.

Keep us posted!
                            workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Not sure how to start.

So much hope, encouragement and understanding awaits.
                              Then when that is not enough, inspiration enters in and it will be in cohoots with compassion.
                              Then when your in need, for what ever the reason, you will find treasured words that cause you to reflect and often to respond.

You are a reflection of all you see, hear and feel here.
                              We are ( I am honored to be amongst the "we") a gathering of delightful , bundles of joy.
                              Many of us, are still a twinkle in the eye of sobriety.
                              All are in our own stage of development.

Its a different level of labor for each.
                              There is plenty , present, that will assist in your being delivered with the least amount of discomfort at best.
                              You are placed in the best hands as you enter this amazing world called MWO.

You are welcomed as you welcome those of us to be apart of your experience.

Life awaits~
                              :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Working...
                              X