Scared straight last Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started drinking several years ago, off and on. Partly because of an unhappy marriage, but continued because it just felt good to get lost in that buzz. I have had several periods of sobriety, some a few weeks, some months. I drink in private, I drink with friends, and I drink at business functions. In public, I usually limit myself so I don't end up embarrassed, but I can't always say the same for in private. My ex-husband never called me on it, but that's another story for another day.

Anyways, I went out with some friends this past Saturday, had a couple of glasses of wine at dinner (not sure how many exactly, the darn waiter kept refilling the glass), and then a couple of martinis at the club. Thought I was okay to drive, which was really stupid, because a friend offered to drive me home. I didn't want to inconvenience her. :duhme: So I drove myself, and I made it most of the way home, but missed a turn, hit the curb, and got two flat tires. Well, in my stupid head, I thought I was almost home, I would just drive home on the flats (I was literally less than a mile away) and deal with it in the morning. Seemed like a great idea until the cop pulled me over.

Scared the crap out of me to see those flashing lights in the rear view mirror. There's no way he didn't realize I'd been drinking, but he didn't say a word, just made me leave my car there and gave me a ride the rest of the way home. I realize I was so extremely lucky. I have a small child and I can't afford to lose her over my stupid, irresponsible idiocy! I'd bought the My Way Out book about a year ago, but never cracked it open. After getting over the worst of my hangover yesterday, I pulled it out and read it cover to cover yesterday. Ordered the hypnosis cds and supplements today. Here's hoping it works, because I can't afford to hope that I'll be that lucky the next time!
    :new:

AF 12/7/08

wow scary stuff sick gl started af myself today

Comment

Hi there,

You were really lucky. I quit drinking because of a very close call also. I had started the MWO program and thought I could drink in moderation right away. I ended up in a bar all day with hubby and we drove home separately. I should NOT have been driving. The next day we heard there were traffic checks set up on our route right after we left town.
      I told myself it was time to admit I could not control my drinking. MWO has worked very well for me. It gets easier all the time, and I don't even want to drink anymore. I didn't think I would ever quit-I used to drink 8-10 beers almost every night. So, I think if I can do it, you can do it. I'm a much better mom, and don't have to worry about drinking and driving anymore. I am the DD now. :h
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

SOBS- Extremely lucky is an understatement, but lucky nonetheless. At least you realized it and are getting started. I bought the book weeks ago, it's still on my dresser. I will begin reading it this weekend while I'm AF.

Stay in touch.
        :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

sobs, I am glad you realize your mistake. This is a great place to get the help and support you need. Explore the site and post away. I agree with jamms, you got very very lucky. When I want to drink, I think of my kids and think of how they are counting on me.

Welcome to the site!
          Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

sobs: I never had an experience like yours. Mostly, I drank alone (which, BTW, brings drinking to another, more dangerous level). I've been a member of MWO since Apr. 07, & while I have not been perfect, I'm not drinking the way I used to. I'm planning an AF life, because I've come to the realization (through MWO) that I cannot moderate my drinking. In other words, I'm a non-drinker. It can be difficult at times, but sobriety is so worth the effort. Good luck, Mary

PS: The daily thread on the 30 day abs forum is an excellent tool. The people there are supportive & non-judgemental. Totally awesome, as my granddaughter would say.
            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Hello and welcome SOBS!

Yes, you were extremely lucky, indeed. Thankfully, I never had a close call like that and I don't intend to put myself in that sort of situation again

Read lots, post lots and let us know how you are doing, ok?
              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

I am still here...for a little bit,
                SOBS.. there are angels in this world. they live all around us and most of the time we don't see them. Almost a couple of years my husband went out and drank, and drank as he usually did. I drove around looking for him, as I usuall did. I reached him on his mobile phone.. I was trying to keep him on the phone to be able to find him. I heard another voice, a man's voice. He had just hit someone's car and the man knew he was drunk and was telling him to call a cab or he would call the Police.
                I was able to find him and the man told me to just take him home, I was crying and crying, he felt sorry for me and was yelling at my husband not to treat his wife this way... He was an angel , in the middle of the night.. driving a BMW

Comment

Working...
                X