Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last day

Last day:
    Feeling a little ?after Christmas Blue?. Fighting, no giving into, a cold. Hemmed and hawed all Christmas day about calling my family. Two brothers and Mother. But hey the phone works both ways doesn?t it? They?ve never called me. I always call and talk with sister-in laws mostly. Feeling stuffy and not really wanting to talk I didn?t call. Mom was at one brother?s house for the week and so there is always a lot of family ?stuff? going on there with his five grown kids, spouses and grandkids. My daughter called me. My son is home from college. Why did I still have that ?empty? holiday feeling? Didn?t go to church on Chrsitmas eve because of that no energy feeling and didn?t want to go by myself and takes too much energy to talk hubby into going. So drank through out the day, wine and beer. Ah?. finally Christmas day was over. So what happened the day after Christmas. While fixing a late breakfast because I?ve been waking up in the middle of the night, snoring, coughing. Going down stairs, reading, coming to MWO and taking a couple of swigs of Nyquil. I find my self then sleeping down there from about 6 am to 9ish. So fixing a late breakfast for hubby and me. And I very sneakily had a beer. Opened it up with the water running, papertowl over the bottle cap to muffle the hissing-clink sound and poured it into an opaque cup. OK so then I had a second one because that one went down so fast. Hubby left for the golf course and I went to the store to buy two bottles of wine (for me) and a case of beer (for him..yea right) oh and disguise my purchase with food items. So I had the whole day to myself, son at work, hubby at golf course and two bottles of wine, a red and a white, and a case of Heineken in the fridge. Oh did I mention the wedding? We , well myself actually, had plans to attend a wedding at 5:30. Hubby didn?t really want to go. So I made plans to attend. Somehow during the day the bottle of white was finished off along with a couple of cold beers. Hubby came home and I left for the wedding. A wedding of two in their 50?s who met in grief group counseling after loosing their spouses last year. It was sweet. A traditional Episcopal service which I love because there is none of that goofyness that some weddings try to incorporate as some spiritual meaning. So on to the reception hall. I have not gone to church much since my kids grew up and out. I was the Sunday School Director for quite a few years when they were little. I don?t want to go by myself and hubby has to be dragged. So there were a lot of old acquaintances at the wedding. I realized that these people were not friends because when I didn?t go to church for year no one called me. Of course I was met at the doorway by a glass of champagne. Yuck but it represents a special occasion and celebration so?down the hatch as quickly as possible so I could get a glass of real wine.. And through the talking and socializing I had another one. And then I decided it was time to leave so I took another one out to the car and guzzled it and (this is so unlike me) through the plastic cup on the ground in the bushes. OK. So I am totally ?lit? driving home and know it. It is taking all my concentration to drive. I am seeing doubles of everything. Center line(s), road reflectors, stop lights. Trying so hard to not get caught. Names are quickly posted in the local newpaper police log for any infractions. But, I did it. I made it home. Scared s?tless. Tried to ?hide? from hubby. Actually I don?t really remember too much. So it was real easy not to drink today. Feeling saturated, poisoned, and sick. A little panic of not knowing where my cell phone was. It was on the car seat where I had put it the night before for easy access. Yea, like I might need to talk on the phone while driving in my condition. I know I can quit. I have before. I stopped when my daughter was in 8th grade and through out her high school years. It was one thing that I hated about my mother when I was that age. Funny but I was also drinking in my teens. There was always a liquor cabinet and open bottles of wine in the fridge. But then, my daughter was out of the house, off to college and so I started drinking again but hiding it from my son. Yeah right.. So one year ago I found MWO and stopped again until I had some physical pain like bursitus in my elbows, followed by carpel tunnel syndrome. I do not handle pain well, or so I tell myself, and so then really started drinking. Son left for college and I was ?free? to do what I liked. Kind of adolescent I know. But here I am, over the edge with my drinking. So the triggers are all there and I better learn how to cope with my life, disappointments, lonliness, failures, work stress and what ever bumps are on my path. The bottle of red is still waiting.
    sigpic

last day

Aloha! (Oh dear, does everyone say that?!)

One thing that jumps out at me from your post is that you're very upset when people don't phone you, and yet you won't phone them. As you say, the phone works both ways, but sometimes people do get very wrapped up in their own lives and it's easy to intend to call someone but then time slips away and you don't get round to it. It doesn't mean that people don't want to speak to you! They'd be delighted to hear from you! Give 'em a call - family and old friends - or send an e-mail wishing them a happy new year. It might help you re-connect with people you've lost touch with, and help you feel less isolated.

Are AA meetings a possibility to meet some new people?

On the booze front: if I have alcohol in the house, I will drink it. Simple as that. Sounds like you do that too. Time to throw it out and start afresh?
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

last day

yes for some its very tough,as marsh said maybe you shouldnt have it in the house,i no in my case this year,i didnt find it hard in the house,but som family members got blitsed and tht was my xcuse,ive been modding quite successfully,and contimplating stopping in the new year,im finding since i started again,it feels like my alergies are coming back,maybe im just alergic to AL,wish you well,gyco

Comment

last day

Thank u for sharing your story. I am glad that u are here. I know that for me, there can be no AL in the house. My daughter has been bringing beer home lately, and sometimes it bothers me. I have been able to refrain, but it has been tough at times. Beer was my drug of choice. If it was the kind of beer I like, it would probably be gone. I too am going through that "empty nest" thing, only I am divorced, so no hubby or BF either. I just have to keep in mind that AL makes me feel like shit, and makes me lose everything. I am clawing my way out of foreclosure, which happened as a result of my drinking and not being able to hold a job. Let us know how we can be of help to you.
        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

last day

That's some couple of days. If you did it once you can do it again. I also can't have AL in the house and just like SEA my daughter came home from college and brought a couple of those large wine bottles. I did have some one night, but then I told her that I can't have her bring all that wine to the house. Anyway, let's start the New Year with a plan.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

last day

Mahalo everyone for your responses. This is why this site is so great. And yes, Marshy, you can say "Aloha". I love it. I did call my Mom today and boy did I get an earfull of the family dramas on that end. She really needed to let out her Christmas stress and disappointments by venting. The scary part is that she is already planning next Christmas. (this is part of her controlling personality.)
            Hey Gyco. You're sweet. I hope you find your pathway to good health (physical and mental) too.
            Good Luck Sea the the financial stuff. I hate to admit that I was probably spending up to $300.00 a month on alcohol. This at a time when my two adult children are not on their feet financially and need my help. Alcohol takes away all rational decisions. No wonder I have high credit card balances along with a huge student loan debt.
            Well Bright, this hangover lasted two days. Easy not to drink right now but as soon as I feel better and am faced with a challenge I need to join you with that plan. This past week with Christmas on one day followed by a wedding on the next day was too much for this shy girl to handle without one.
            I though of PMing you guys but decided to come here. Does anybody go back to read if there are replies to their posts? I do it almost obsessively. Finally DAY TWO AF!!
            sigpic

Comment

last day

Hi HG
              Congrats on Day 2. You are on your way I also check back for responses to my posts. I think that alot of us do. I have been a bit lax with my plan, but plan to get back on track, taking my supps, using the CDs, make an appt. with my therapist, improve my eating habits, and exercise. I would also like very much to get off the smokes. That will be a tough one. Will keep ya posted.
              "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

last day

Hula: It is so easy to return to old patterns...even if we've given them up for a while. I find MWO so helpful in keeping me on track. I'm not perfect, but I'm so much better than I've been in the past few years. The daily thread on the 30 day abs forum is so great. I love Sausage's comments today. They really apply to me. Good luck. Keep coming back. Mary
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

last day

Yes, I'm pretty sure most of us check back to see what we've gotten for responses. Nothing unusual there. I think it's all part of the program. Mary
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

last day

BTW, if that your pooch: he/she looks like a very sweet "senior citizen." Mary
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

last day

Hi Mary. Is she really showing her age? I still see her as that cute, cute little puppy 11 years ago, even though she has slowed down a bit. Her name is Pua, (flower).
                      Hey Wally, yes, that is what I was looking for exactly...to feel less alone. Thank-you. I'm haviing a tall ice water with a spash of lemon juice and a spoon of honey for my treat right now. The alcohol will be in the house (beer) for hubby. I'm just going to look the other way and take care of me, myself and I right now.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X