here goes nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here goes nothing

I first started feeling depressed when I was 13, it seemed to go in a cycle - I'd be at my worst in winter, at my best in mid summer. It took me years to realise that this was because my father left my family on Christmas eve when i was 9.

In those years I found alot of ways to deal with this: self harm was a favourite when I got frustrated, this happened often as I was bullied at school for being different (wrong hair cut, wrong clothes, wrong taste in music.) Smoking was another, but only occasionally, only when I had to deal with people.

Drinking only really started when I was 14 or 15. I met a guy who I fell in love with, he was an alcoholic already, had been from a very young age bless him. I decided to try drinking again, at the time he seemed happier for it and I soon found I could feel happier drinking too - less isolated, happier with myself. So i did it, and progressively i got in deeper and deeper, by age 15 I was drinking every day to get drunk. A couple of years ago my mother found a new boyfriend, less time to watch over me and my brother and sister, my drinking went up. i was stealing alcohol when she was looking to the point I was losing whole evenings - I'd start drinking when I got home from school, stop to go to bed and that was that.

So after boyfriend left mum, it was time for me to quit for the first time - I sucked at it, within a week I was back on the booze. Next quit attempt didn't happen until I nearly died. That shook my boyfriend, shook him into proposing and getting me to quit - but of course this is the alcoholic boyfriend who was still drinking, so it didn't seem too important. needless to say i was soon drinking again.

So why now then? because my drinking got worse - my sister was in a psychiatric unit, my brother went off the rails, I coudln't cope without being drunk, until the boyfriend, the boy I'd only ever known as an alcoholic quit. and when he quit he showed me the road i was going down and we tried together. he's doing well, I'm still struggling but together we're going to beat this

Well there you are, here I am, I've had another slip up, but tomorrow I start again, with my mother and fiance along for the ride. I am ThatGirl, I am 18 years and 2 months old, and I am going to beat this - one step at a time. This is my way out.
    The way I change the past is by not repeating it
    -James Hetfield, Metallica

here goes nothing

T.G. You sound like a very intelligent and introspective young lady, you will be supported by many on this forum.

Good Luck to you sweetie.
    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

here goes nothing

Hi ThatGirl!

It was good to read your story tonight. It made me look back at my early drinking days and how I was back in my 'yoof' when I was growing up and strengthening my ideals around the New-Age Travelling movement and free festival scene.

I remember reading one of your posts last night that showed such maturity and intelligence. I don't mean to sound patronising in ANY way either. I think a lot of addicts/alcoholics are very intelligent people because of our complex nature! Ask an addict the time and he'll build you a clock!!

Although I never had the same problems as you at school with bullying I can appreciate how hard it must of been with the mentality of the tracksuit/trainer fraternity towards individuals who choose a different dress code. I only moved off a council estate 2 years ago where at the age of 37 I was still getting 'slagged' as a mosher because of the way I dressed and because I had piercings and tatoos and listened to music other than happy hardcore shite all day long!!lol

I too went through a phase of self harming when I was younger and still have a few scars today on my torso and wrist. My head at the time was totally screwed up with taking a cocktail of drink and drugs regularly that included many substances including 'gear'. I was also taking an anti depressent called seroxat which in my honest opinion should NEVER be prescribed to ANYONE who is suffering with a drink problem too.

Anyway it's good to see you doing something about your drinking at this early stage. I wish both you and your boyfriend well with your goals to stay sober.

Love and Happiness
      Hippie
      xx

p.s. was not a great Metallica fan but the black album is a must for ANY music lovers CD collection!!
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

here goes nothing

That Girl,

Don't say here goes nothing. Here goes everything...

I was 25 when I realized I had an issue, after waking up with a bloody ankle after going to an artist friend's party, and having no idea how I got home. I made it from Brooklyn to Queens (New York City), in the middle of the night, with only a cut on my ankle. I knew I was lucky.

I quit drinking for a month, but everyone around me thought I was being silly. So slowly it crept up again, as my career and stress progressed. Here I am at 50 - FIFTY - still dealing with this.

You are so young. And I think very wise. Deal with it now so you are not 50, looking back and wishing you had accomplished more in your life.

Comment

here goes nothing

Hi TG, it's nice to know you mate.
          I'm on Day 3 right now...so we're doing this at the same time. I might come looking for you if I need support OK?? And of course, if I can help you that helps me also - so don't hesitate to look for me.

Comment

here goes nothing

What a wonderful and inspiring post, ThatG!! Thank you for sharing some of yourself with us xxxwishing you every success and happiness and - well - thanks again!!! My second child (Jordan) at the tender age of 15 could certainly do with a dose of your motivation! Bless you
            *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

here goes nothing

Thank you for sharing TG!
              I think you are one amazing woman who'll definetly BEAT this BEAST!
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

here goes nothing

Thank you for sharing with us T.G. I was in a similar position when I was in my teens, but unlike you, was unwilling to do anything about it, and thought I was being normal. I wish you all the very best on your journey.
                To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

here goes nothing

thanks for sharing.
                  i did'nt start drinking untill i was in my thirties, now i'm in my fities and trying hard to stop.
                  anyway here's a quote specially for you

“I like a women who's got some balls, some strength. As long as I can beat her at arm wrestling, that's fine.”
                  james hetfield

you seem like a woman who got balls and a lot of strenght
                  don't know about the armwrestling :-)
                  life is simple its just not easy

Comment

here goes nothing

Haha, hell yeah dragonfly I'm in there! Arms of an 8 year old

Comment

here goes nothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AesYoRsO9xs&playnext_from=PL&feature=PlayL ist&p=7B76F2C96F841A[/video]]YouTube - Metallica - Mama Said Live Acoustic (only James Hetfield)

Comment

here goes nothing

they're back in ireland in august and i'll be there, metallica fan for 15 years ever since my then 18 year old son (now 33) started a metallica tributeband in our garage:-) and is still at it

Comment

here goes nothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPn_XUKTPxo&playnext_from=PL&feature=PlayL ist&p=860B32062A0761[/video]]YouTube - Metallica Fade to Black Acoustic live
                          all time favorite

Comment

here goes nothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTZXHQHFCiI[/video]]YouTube - Bridge School Benefit- Metallica- Brothers in Arms

Comment

here goes nothing

haha, all going well I'm seeing them again this year xD off to sonisphere festival with the fiance hopefully, they better play 'for whom the bell tolls' this time - I love ride the lightning era 'tallica.

Comment

Working...
                              X