Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my shameful story

Hi Lynn,
    OK, it's sent. We are sharing the same weather system.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

my shameful story

God I can relate to so much on this thread, its scary.

Right now, I am not sure what my wife will say at tomorrows counseling session.
      4 weeks off the booze and one night of madness last Friday.

I dread to think what will happen tomorrow morning, I think she will call it quits and leave.

Its really depressing, I was doing so well.

And thats really the way of it. If your partner is strong enough, then lucky you.

If not, then do it for yourself.

Comment

my shameful story

I don't think you can promise your partner anything about forever; all you can promise is to try your best to stay sober. Ultimately, you have to do this for yourself first, as others have said.

When I first stopped drinking, thinking about forever made me want a drink immediately. I tried to take it one day at a time, as AA suggests (even though I don't go to AA) and not look too far ahead--waayyy too scary! Eventually the sober days did start to pile up, and I started feeling proud.

I hope you can just promise yourself to try your best. There are many medications and supplements out there that can help, like Campral, so I suggest you read the book and check out the medications section when you are ready.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Take care of yourself.
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

my shameful story

Just wanted to add my two cents for what they're worth!

In regards to the contract..I think that promising not to drink or how much and it being in his hands could possibly be a bit damaging.Mainly because you will end up resenting him if he has that control over you,no matter how uncontrolling a nature he has.

We are the ones that must take charge of our own selves. In saying that, perhaps you could 'promise' to do certain things towards sobriety ie: continuing to be part of MyWayOut;counselling;AA meetings if you are still finding them helpful, agreeing to take certain medications..that are right for you! These methods you could both agree on. Also,would it not be worthwhile for hubby to maybe come online and read a few stories too..so he can get 'inside your head' and see just how it affects people?

If he can see how it feels,perhaps he might find more compassion for you as a person,even if the forgiveness can't come just yet! He obviously does still care for you! Hopefully by showing in your actions how you are trying, this will earn his belief in you again!

I hope this makes sense! Hope it helps! Keep going strong,we are all behind you here,you and your hubby!
          Chicken

Comment

Working...
          X