WANTED: support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all thanks for taking time to read this.
    I have been very sad and in the dumps for a little over a month now. I have been an avid beer drinker for many years. Several years before my marriage 13 years ago. Then my first son was born in '01. That's when my wife tells me troubles started. She says I didn't turn to the next chapter of our life with her and she has been miserable since. She discredits any good times we had and says it's ALL been bad. She dwells on bad times that may have happened 3, 5, some even 10 years ago and won't forgive and forget any. I used to smoke pot too. She told me I had to choose one. I chose to drink....more. Then I quit smoking cigarettes. Mainly for my boys ages 7 & 5. She asked me to cut back on my drinking several times. I usually would for a couple weeks and then back at it full swing. The more she pushed me to cut back or quit, the more I rebeled and the more I drank. I got to the point of drinking 2+ cases a week. Not only expensive but bad on inhabitions and bad for family. (I'm blabber'n)

So, my wife went to her 20 year reunion, out of state. She left the boys with me. She's always been good at leaving little notes around for us to find, saying she loves us, good night, miss you and such, as she did this time. When she returned she was a different person. Distant toward me. A few days later out of the blue she said she was moving out and filing for separation. It was a Friday that I was off from work and had the boys all day. For some reason I had not had anything to drink that day, not even that evening before she told me. She gave the reasons for leaving the main one was my drinking. I told her I would permantly cut back. She said it's too late. I told her I would quit. Again she said its too late. As the week progressed I begged an pleaded with her to stay. She got more hateful and distant.

Her brother, who works at Hazleden(sp.) and also lives in the same state that her reunion was held. was coming in to visit and help her move. He said he didn't want to be around me for fear I would kick his ass. He was probably right! So I stayed away from the house that day. Now my wife has been at her own place for one month. We can talk civilly now, and I get our boys on weekends. I was served papers yesterday to meet with a mediator and discuss custody, visitation and child support. I have asked her to go to marriage counseling with me, and she refuses. As I have done in the past.

Sorry to jump around so much, but my mind is racing and I don't want to make this too long.

I would drink 4 to 8 beers almost everyday and get completey smashed on weekends and about any social event we'd go to. At which point I would become vulgar and disrespectful to some people, including my "nagging" wife. especially the one's who were not drunk. But I would usually appologize with a hug and sometimes a kiss on the cheek. Needless to say, some people don't find that amusing.

So, to make a long story shorter.....I had no alchohol for 23 days and have cut back from 2+ cases a week to less than a 6 pack a week. My wife doesn't want to work on our marriage anymore. She says she gave me 8 years worth of chances and now it's over. She is concentrating on herself and her happiness and I am not going to change. I'm incapable of changing and she is tired of trying at our failed attempts. I have seeked counseling myself and still love her very much. I have told her I will do whatever it takes to get her back, but she says she doesn't want that. She says she cares about me but doesn't LOVE me anymore. I am the one miserable now.

What can I do???

Welcome Buddah.
    congratulations on your 23 days. that is a great start.
    For the time being, I think you will have to concentrate on getting counselling for yourself, getting yourself AF and being the best you and father you can be for yourself and your sons.
    Whether or not you can be your wife's lover again is another story for another day. Now is not the time. Baby steps.
    Concentrate on getting yourself healed and being a good parent to your boys.There are many on the site who have similar stories,I am sure they will help you through this healing journey.
    Best of luck.
    Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
    If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
    November 2, 2012

Comment

Hey Buddah, Please don't let this stress, sadness, and anger take you back to heavy drinking. I am a little nervous that you are still drinking, but less. I'm afraid that it will be so easy for you to get "carried away" with beer drinking. Wally is right. This is time to take care of yourself. Be the best father you can be to your children. You are going to need all the strength you can muster to fight for your parental rights. I have heard and seen these battles get very ugly and you want to be strong, healthy and in a very sober state of mind. I know this must be a very difficult time for you so please come here and share what's going on so you can get support and advice. Be strong. Be healthy. Be alcohol free.
      sigpic

Comment

ditto...you are what you need to focus on.
        you can't change her, you can only change you.

peace

Comment

Buddah, some similarities with my situation. Husband fed up on my drinking after only 3 years of marriage and walked out in April. I knew if I wanted to get him back and try to work on our marriage I had to stop drinking. So I got a counselor, came back to MWO and started going to AA meetings. I have been AL free since May 1st thanks to all of the help and my determination to get myself on track.
          My husband came back about 1 month ago and we are trying to make our marriage work. We are going to a marriage counselor and I am continuing to come here, go to my own counselor and AA meetings to keep me on track.

I'm not sure if this can happen for you, but it is worth doing, if not for your marriage, for yourself and your children. You will be surprised how much better you will feel and you might even lose some weight.

Best of luck to you.

Winefree

Comment

Buddah,you are making moves in the right direction for yourself and your children! Only time and determination will 'show' your wife that you are committed to this change. In other words, 'walk your talk' ,she will need proof of the changes and time for her to trust you and the changes!
            Give yourself a chance and your relationships....concentrate on you!
            All the best
            Chicken

Comment

Thanks

These are the things I keep hearing from everyony, including my wife. At first I thought how selfish it is to concentrate on ME. That's what she has told me several times. That she had to concentrate on herself. Get herself straightened out. "It's all about ME, ME, ME!"
              It was recomended by my counselor, and I want to go, to marriage counseling with her, but as of now she does not. I truely believe I have my drinking under control. At least that's what I tell myself anytime I think I want to get drunk. Plus I think of her and our boys and don't want to dissapoint them.

I've had my boys on the weekends so far and that's been great. But both are having trouble coping with our situation. Especially our youngest (5). I've heard him talking to his mamma and tell her "daddy's gotten help. He got help from Peepaw and God. When can we move back together." That breaks my heart in two every time I hear or think of it. Just yesterday, my youngest, and I were hanging out at the creek behind our house. We had a great time. I let him lead us around on a hike and we swam in the swimming hole. And he was so proud of himself, as was I, that he jumped off a rock that's about 5 feet above the water without a life jacket or floaties. Of course I was right there to catch him. But he did it 3 times.

There were some really pretty red flowers growing along side of the creek. He picked them, gave them to me and told me "I picked these for you, so you can give them to mamma and she can give you a hug again." That tore me up! The tears streamed down my face. He asked if I was crying. I said "no, I got something in my eyes." I think he knew better.

Again, thanks for the input, It helps.

Buddah

Comment

I want to thank yall again!

MWO is a great place! I have gone from being really depressed and sad to understanding better, what I need to do. I have been talking to more people (friends and family) about my troubles. Working hard on NOT concentrating on what HAS happened and What COULD happen. And concentrate on, now and what I need to do. I already feel better inside. I have to practice patience. It takes time to heal. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. Take a deep breath and be happy. Happy my boys miss me and want to come stay with me. Happy my wife and I can talk without fighting. Happy for the support and friends here at MWO. Happy I'm not drinking my sorrows away. Gotta stay happy.

Peace,
                Buddah

Comment

Hi Buddah. :welcome: to MWO. This is a terrific community for support getting sober.

I'm happy for you that you are already feeling some benefit from staying in the "now" rather than dwelling excessively on the past or (my bigger problem of the two) obsessing about what might/might not happen in the future.

I too go to AA and have found that to be very beneficial in my journey to a sober life. There is a woman there who I initially thought was very crusty / crabby. I have since come to really aprpeciate the truth as she sees it and lives it and tells it. She reminds us frequently that we lived for years in a very screwed up manner. She reminds us that no....we DON'T deserve a trophy and a parade because we finally figured out how to spend a month being sober, and that others in our lives do not necessarily need to be jumping for joy over us FINALLY developing some sanity and responsibility that "normal" people have had all along.

I am more the celebratory sort myself, so I had a really hard time hearing that at first. But...I finally saw the wisdom. I can only speak for myself, but I DID spend YEARS causing various levels of misery to others around me with my drinking. They are not all going to see the "new me" over night, and it's not fair that I expect them to.

All I can do is take things one day at a time, and try to live right for today. No AL, no lying - not even little ones, try to treat everyone I encounter with dignity and respect, put a smile on even if I don't feel like it, etc. The truth has been difficult to swallow, but for me it was a necessary step to get on the road to recovery.

Strength and hope to you. AL sucks and I'd bet a whole paycheck that your life will be better without it, regardless of what happens with your wife.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                  X