I'm New Here ... Day 1 Begins Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had a problem with alcohol since about 1986. I currently have a $450 a month wine habit, and I'm ready to ween myself off it beginning on Monday. I have post-traumatic stress disorder from growing up with an abusive mother, a raging case of hypoglycemia and a very forgiving spouse who honestly deserves better. I also have social anxiety, agoraphobia and zero ability or desire to attend AA meetings, so here I am.

:new:

A very big welcome to you

It sounds like you have more than enough on your plate at the moment, but you have found a great place and an understanding spouse is a massive plus.
    The people here are second to none and have helped me tremendously. Good luck on your day 1 .
    :welcome:
    I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
    One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

:hello2::colorwelcome:

Good safe place you've found here.

Loads of support and advice. It's been a godsend for me.

Keep reading,then read some more. SHOUT out if you're struggling.

Stay close. Please let us know how you're getting on.

Wishing you all the luck in the world.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hello, and welcome,
        I'm sure that you will find a great deal here.
        It's a wonderful place.

Comment

Hi and welcome. Just take things slowly, and thing will improve.
          Good luck.

Comment

Welcome Want2be,
            It's great you have found us. Read, read, and then read again here.
            What does your doctor say? Whether you do or don't have one, have you been able to work out a medically safe plan to do this?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

no MD; just a plan and an acupuncturist for now...

Guitarista;733832 wrote: Welcome Want2be,
              It's great you have found us. Read, read, and then read again here.
              What does your doctor say? Whether you do or don't have one, have you been able to work out a medically safe plan to do this?
              I cut back from two to three bottles a day to one and a half over the weekend. Added more water per the instructions at watercure2.org and supplements listed here plus a probiotic. Beginning Monday, I plan to limit consumption to one bottle = 5 glasses, then 4, then 3, then 2, then 1, then half and then skip every other day with an end goal of being sober by our anniversary on Nov. 1st

Worked for me w/ caffeine, and I have an acupuncturist I can trust (I pay cash) so I have high hopes for weaning off slowly. I also start a class tomorrow and have a couple of friends there who will be pretty quick to remind me why I'm doing this and struggle with issues of their own like smoking, agoraphobia and hypoglycemia.

Challenges I'll need to overcome: 1) I'm not a social drinker, I prefer to drink alone out of boredom or to numb the pain. 2) I'm a work-at-home artist/writer and I get anxiety / panic attacks when I don't drink which does absolutely nothing for my creativity. 3) I don't like any kind of alcohol except red wines and there is an endless ever flowing supply of it on hand.

Challenges I won't be facing: 1) I'm not a social drinker so holidays will be no problem. 2) My husband doesn't drink. 3) I won't be alone thanks to you guys and support from my classmates. 4) I'm highly motivated to stop having a puffy red face full of broken capillaries, thinning hair, bloodshot eyes, stained teeth, no energy, no appetite, stomach pains, hot flashes, blackouts and a lifestyle that revolves around my alcohol consumption.

Afterward, I intend to do a couple of different cleanses supervised by the acupuncturist, get my teeth bleached, start walking, and correct whatever damage I can before it's too late. I'm also looking forward to having more energy and better sleep without waking up in a pool of my own sweat with chills.

:nicemeeting:

Comment

Hi Want and :welcome:.Good to see you have a plan. Can I just add a word of advice? On Monday, you are going to have one bottle of wine, on Tues, just 4 glasses, Weds 3 etc. When the 1st bottle is gone on Monday, do NOT buy any more full bottles. Buy the quarter bottles, otherwise on Weds morning, there will still be just one tiny teeny little glass left in that full sized bottle...and its voice will get louder and louder as the day goes on.....
                You will also be ridding the house of any al during the day, thereby reducing the possibility of you giving in. Make sure there is no al left in the house before you go to bed (dump it if you have to),and set a time in the evening for you to cut down. Good Luck! keep posting, reading,asking, whatever it takes.

Comment

welcome want2be

stopping drinking will definitely help with the hypoglycemia, i know from personal experience...also with the anxiety. anxiety might be strong for the first few days/week when you are weaning/weaned, but it will lessen if you can just get through it.
                  stay here, keep reading and talking and know that you are not alone. i could have posted your initial post myself!

peace!

Comment

Welcome, Want2B -

I'm glad you have a plan - that can make a big difference. I would definitely consider Cathy's advice as well, and I say go ahead and start the walking, even a little bit. It's a great little stress reliever when those urges come on, and you don't even need to worry about pushing yourself at first, even a stroll around the block is helpful. Good luck on your journey - the destination is a wonderful place.

Much love!
                    ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
                    X