New here, second day sober looking for support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:new: My mom died a year ago, september 29, 2008 after a two year battle with cancer. I go to a big ten school where partying is huge and began to drink seriously after that. Over the past year i've had a drink or gotten drunk nearly everyday but after taking a semester off to deal with my grief issues I decided i wanted to apply to law school but my drinking was seriously hurting my grades and my ability to apply to myself to studying for the LSATS. I lost my best friend over it nearly six months ago...she couldn't handle the monster I had become. Lately, neither can I.

So over the past month, back at school, with the help of my therapist and priest, I realized that things weren't happening to me (lackluster grades, loss of friends etc) I was happening to them or more specifically...I was letting the Alcohol happen to me. So I decided to get sober.

My doctor prescribed me Naltrexone (has anyone tried this) and so far haven't had any withdrawal symptoms except the extreme loneliness of knowing that tonight I'll be alone because all my friends are going to the bars and it just makes me want to drink more. Social life here revolves around alcohol and I am terrified that I'll lose even more friends because i don't drink, (the irony is obvious i know) which will lead to being completely alone, which will make me drink and around and around it goes. I thought maybe this would be a good place to get some support.

Any encouragement is desperately needed. I want more then anything to call my mom but obviously can't. I feel very alone right now, though i know this is the right, and healthy decision.

So thats my story, but i just hope it's not all of who I am.

Peace and love
    :new: "We must let go of the life we have planned so as to live the life that is waiting for us"

Hey CutiePie............. Don't drink !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :welcome:

Just keep taking ur meds and keep coming here , reading & posting has been so great for me and I know it help you too... I have a 23 year old daughter who has NEVER had a taste of alcohol and she goes out with her friends , drink dietcoke with a twist of lime or a diet spite with lemon , trust me you don't need to drink to have fun !! your doing great . Throw yourself into school , focus on that and take it ODAT .. I'm sorry about your Mom , Just know everytime you think about her that she is looking down on you and is very proud that you are taking charge of you life..:l Em
    Non Drinker 9/09
    Non Smoker 6/09
    Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Emmy;737562 wrote: Hey CutiePie............. Don't drink !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :welcome:

Just keep taking ur meds and keep coming here , reading & posting has been so great for me and I know it help you too... I have a 23 year old daughter who has NEVER had a taste of alcohol and she goes out with her friends , drink dietcoke with a twist of lime or a diet spite with lemon , trust me you don't need to drink to have fun !! your doing great . Throw yourself into school , focus on that and take it ODAT .. I'm sorry about your Mom , Just know everytime you think about her that she is looking down on you and is very proud that you are taking charge of you life..:l Em
      :thanks: Emmy, I think it's amazing that your daughter doesn't drink at all. I'm so jealous. I wish i'd never had a drink. I don't think i'm ready to go out at order a coke or sprite but that hadn't even occured to me! Maybe one day i'll be able to go to a bar and order a soda and still be with my friends. How long did it take anyone else to be able to go to a bar with friends and still abstain?
      :new: "We must let go of the life we have planned so as to live the life that is waiting for us"

Comment

:hello2:

Hi Cutiepie,

So sorry about your mum.

I've got a 24 year old godson who has never had a drink and has gone through Uni with a load of drinking buddies. He just didn't like the taste.

You sound as if you got a good backup network going for you.

How about telling your friends your on a health kick. They might even want to try it with you.

No advice just yet apart from stay close to the boards,keep reading and BIG please let us know how you're getting on.

:goodjob: on 2 days AF.

Love and hugs Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009 and loving it!
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Health kick

That's a great idea and I thought about saying i was going on a diet too, if anyone asked. I'm so glad I've found this site. I think it's going to be my new daily home. Everyone is so supportive! I might just need to get through tonight. That's my goal, right now.

Comment

Hi again,

I've got a big wedding to go to on the 24th Oct. My 1st big drinking do since I went AF.

So this time next week I might be asking you for advice.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009 and loving it!

PS another good little fib is telling them you're on anti-biotics.
            It could be worse, I could be filing.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

First I want to say I am sorry about your Mom. I know from experience how hard it is.

Then, I want to say...good for you at this age to recognize the problem, and for taking the steps to correct it. Wish I caught it earlier than I did.

The suggestions from Emmy and JackieClaire are perfect. After a while, no one will even notice you are not drinking. Good luck girl!!

DLA
              Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
              Sir Walter Scott
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yep, agree with this advice. This sounds to me like something that should be advertised on the back cover of a comic book. If you're not getting a good feeling about the boss, it's time to leave.
                Find a telemarketing service company | Telemarketing company for b2b and lead generation | Outbound telemarketing lists

Comment

Hi CutiePie
                  Ignore the weird spam message above. (WTF????)
                  You have a lot of life (good life!) ahead of you and you are extraordinary for recognizing your alcohol issues at such a young age- so give yourself a pat on the back and a break. Keep coming to this site- there are MANY people with all different experiences that can offer support, advice, hope and hilarity.
                  stick around ~

Welcome
                  -Sheep

Comment

Working...
                  X