Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The story so far

Hello

I only found this site today, I had heard of it but never logged on. Anyway my story is simple. Im 45 years old and have abused alcohol probaly since the first time I ever drank it. Like many here I drank to get drunk. I dont know why because Im a pretty easy going person and have no deepseated problems. Maybe it had a lot to do with living in Ireland, we drink at every occasion known to man and then some. Im happily married for 16 years and have one 13 year old daughter. My husband never knew the real extent of my drinking because I hid it. I hid it in toilet cisterns, under the seat of the car, in the laundry basket, under the plants in the garden, you name it I hid it there.

My childhood was a bit of a mix match. I grew up in the country to backward parents. They should never really have had kids because they werent capable of rearing them. We never had santa visit, we were never sent to the doctor if we were sick, the neighbours gave us clothes, we shared two pairs of shoes between my mother and my sister, washing or baths were something completly foreign, and I could go on and on but at the end of the day I got out of there and moved to a town working and seemed to leave it all behind and had a normal life.

To make a long story short I started to be afraid of alcohol about 5 years ago. I knew what I was doing was not normal. I would wake up feeling wretched, guilty and full of anxiety. I would pass out at night and wake with a jolt a couple of hours later and lie staring at the ceiling for hours wondering what the hell I was doing with my life. I was going to destroy my marraige and ruin my daughters childhood. I read Alan Carrs book and followed his instructions and had my last drink on a Saturday evening with tears streaming down my face. That was in June 2007 and I havent drank since. To say that my life has changed doesnt cover it. Im free of a prison of my own making. I sleep the sleep of the dead.I can look at myself in the mirror and not feel ashamed. The first year had its ups and downs, good days and bad days. The bad days became less and less. This Christmas was my third alcohol free and I actually spent quite a bit of it in the pub with friends and family and was quite comfortable and had a great time that is untill folk started talking nonsence when they were drunk. I wouldnt go back to where I was for all the tea in China.Im a member of another online group WQD and I owe my life to the people I met there. I still visit there a few times a week.

Looking forward to getting to know a few people over here too. I notice there are quite a few from Ireland.

The story so far

:welcome:Hi Norma,
    I'm so happy to read your story. Thanks for sharing it. Reading stories like that gives hope to sometimes hopeless people. And I'm especially glad that you overcame while your daughter is still young. My children were not that lucky. But I'm determined that they will have a sober mom for the rest of her life.
    Please keep visiting MWO, and where do I find WQD online?
    make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

The story so far

Hi Jessie,

Thanks for coming by. Just google WQD and your there. Its very similar to here except that most people there aim for complete abstinance. Im logged in there as Norma too if you want to drop by I would be thrilled to see you.

Hugs Nors

Comment

The story so far

PS Jessie I was in Capetown this time last year, it was fab. That one of the benifits of quiting I can take nicer holidays. While I was drinking anywhere with a pub would do.

Comment

The story so far

Norma, Please stick around here as well. You have a wealth of experience and our members can benefit from your story and your wisdom. Well done on three years and going to the pub and not drinking. Hats off to you!
          "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

The story so far

Hi Norma, I was just telling someone yesterday how nice it is to smell and see everything in a brand new light. I'll check out WQD because moderation is not an option for me. But who needs that poison when you feel so great AF.?
            make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

The story so far

Just checked WQD -- a great site as well. Norma, thank you for bringing it up to our attention. We need all the help we can get!
              "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
              Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

The story so far

Norma... I'm so happy for you , I love stories like yours. This is a great forum with a wealth of information.

I just posted a response in the "what we are reading" section in this forum about Allen Carr's book. Right after I posted, I read your thread. So, its a real coincidence that you mention "easy way to stop drinking" . I believe in the power of coincidence for guidance. Can you elaborate more about how this book specifically helped you? It makes so much sense to me, but I'm still not 100% sold on his method. It makes more and more sense to me the more I re-read the book, but something is stopping me from going all the way AF. Your insight would be invaluable. Thanks.

Comment

The story so far

Hi Looking for Peace,

I was actually pretty much the same as you. I really didnt want to quit. When I started I did it for my daughter who was 10 at the time. I overheard her on the phone to one of her friends telling her that she had to remind me of a sleepover Id agreed to because I didnt remember agreeing to it as I was drunkwhen she asked me . I wanted to stay drinking but I was disgusted and sick at the idea that I was going to ruin her childhood. I knew that I couldnt moderate. I had beaten that horse to death but I figured that if I could quit untill she was 16 she wouldnt need me as much then. I saw Alan Carrs book and then googled it. I read and reread the reviews over and over again. People there were swearing by this book and some had quit and never drank again. I would lie in bed fantacising about a life without drink. I bought the book and to be honest I was thrilled at the idea that I could stay drinking while I was reading it. I was worried as some of it didnt wash with me and alot of it sounded like babble but the reviews still kept me going. Eventually I was saying well what would be wrong with you that you couldnt do it. It in your own hands. I would read a chapter and then get pissed. It did start to make more and more sense. I could see the analagy of the plant (cant remember the name of it now) and it really painted the picture of me. I was slipping deeper and deeper into alcoholism and the fear of going deeper still frightened the life out of me. At this stage I was drinking in the morning on some weekends. I reread some chapters and underllined bits that grabbed me. I would say it took me two or three weeks before I had the courage to read the last chapter and to have my final drink. As I said in the post above I was almost hysterical drinking it, bawling crying and scared to death. I actually went out with my hubby that night and told him that I was an alcoholic.

From then on I had no other thought in my head but staying off it. I picked out a photo that was taken on a holiday in Universal Studios and I was so drunk I dont remember it being taken. I always hated that photo but I put it in my purse to remind me. I did silly things like getting my daughter to cut out and number 90 pieces of paper and I would change them every day in my purse. 90 days was ny furst target, I would eat cream cakes before I left my desk at work in case I got a craving on my way home but if my tummy ws full I would be able to ignore it. Every penny I saved on drink I spent it on myself for months, massages, make up, perfume-- anything to treat myself. I figured come hell or high water I would do 90 days and I could reevaluate then. There were some tough days. We booked our annual holiday online one evening and I went into the bathroom crying at the idea that I would not be able to drink on holiday even though at the time it was seven months away. I still would read a chapter of Alan Carrs book every night and I scoured the internet for info on alcoholism.

With all my heart I can say that apart from having my daughter and getting married it was the best decision of my life. As late as this morning I was thinking about it. I used to be so cranky and sick on the mornings my poor daughter got a miserable send off to school many a morning. This morning at 7.15 she insisted on putting on some new maximizing lipstick on me and we were laughing about it tingling. She would have got short shrift a few years ago if she came near me with lipstick in the morning.

My one advice would be read and reread slowly the chapters of your book and when you finally take that last drink make it priority number 1 to stay quit. Drink is off the table, full stop. Plan everyday the night before and judge how any event or anything else could hurt or harm your quit. If you think somethink as simple as going to visit a friend could put it at risk, cancel it. If your partner annoys you walk away. Nothing matters now but your quit. Treat your quit like a new born baby, its just as precious. There will be tough days but you know what? not nearly as many as you might think. The pride you will feel in yourself will give you a huge boost and made up for a lot.

I wish only the best for you

Comment

The story so far

Norma, I'm glad you stopped by and decided to post! I enjoyed reading your story and I admire your courage and your committment to your sobriety. There is no possibility of safe drinking for me either. I don't know why some of us become alcoholic and others not. But I know what I am and I know I can't drink. When I finally accepted that, sobriety got a bit easier.

Happy to walk with you on this incredible journey! Hope you will stick around and participate!

Strength and hope,

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

The story so far

Norma, can I just say what an inspirational woman you are!
                      I am delighted you joined up, its great to hear from people who are making a great life living sober.
                      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

The story so far

hi norma just like to say hello and welcome,i enjoyed reading your story and hope you stay around to share your experience of staying alcohol free as i am sure it would be a help to all people here.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

The story so far

Wow!

Very inspirational. I am doing well right now but I am always concerned about the long run. I would love to say 3 years from now that I have not had a drink since Dec 31, 2009! What a wonderful decision you have made!:thanks:

Comment

The story so far

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

New Girl, you have the power to make it happen. Forget about the long run, it isnt here yet. Focus on today only with an eye on tomorrow, after all if we dont look after our quit today there wont be a long term. Today is litterly the only day we can work on. Our addiction would love us to worry about the long term because it knows that if it can put a doubt in our mind then half its battle is won. Its so easy then to say Ah F%$% it, whats the point Im going to fail anyway so I may as well drink today. When the voives of addiction start muttering dont get into a debate with them. Know in your heart that its a sober life you want and go for it. Plan every single day. Know where your going to be, eat decent food and above all make every decision with your quit in mind. If something is going to put it at risk just dont do it. Wishing you only the best.

Hugs Nors

Comment

The story so far

I'm just now reading your post norma. What an inspiring read! It is great to have you here; I'm sure others will feel empowered by your story.
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                              X