Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok here goes...

Hello,

I've been told to let people on here get to know me a little. So heres a brief intro in me.

I live in the UK and Im 29 years old. Im a creative soul at heart and did a degree in music by the time I was 23. After the degree I did a lot of traveling and never really got back into the industry. I love my current job but it only really pays the rent and bills. Music, art and fictional writing are my true passions and I'd love to get some work in one of those fields eventually.

Drinking. Like many people I didn't really feel I was any different to others at University. Just being young and having a damn good time. However, I've always been quite prone to blue spells and seem to worry about minor stuff way to much. I guess this is what I try to numb with drink. I'll have a minimum of a few beers and a bottle of red a night. And I'm very good at planning my drinking around work. if I finnish in the early afternoon I'll hit it hard early so Im fine for the next day. and if I have the next day off. Man I'll get wrecked.

Im single so can be very selfish with it all. Thats probably the main reason Im single. I have plenty of offers from girls but decline them to continue on this path. That and the terrible thought of someone knowing how bad I've got.

Im basically fed up of it. I function and even excell in my job at times. But feel I owe it to myself to see what I can achieve without this poison in my body.

I understand Im not the worst case this forum will have ever seen by a long shot. But its still miserable and seemly impossible to break the cycle.

This is my day one off booze. I don't know whats going to happen. I've done no kind of preparation for it. and don't have any idea if Im going to crave or not.

I'll keep you posted on that one!!!

Feel free to introduce yourself on my thread. I'd like to get to know you. Also its fine to ask me questions if you want to know anything else.

Regards

Ok here goes...

Hi... welcome to MWO.

Comment

Ok here goes...

Hi any excuse. Love that screen name. Any excuse would do for me too. Good for you recognizing that you and alcohol are not a good match, and taking steps to get it out of your life and live up to your potential, whatever that may be for you.

I used to spend some amount of time (privately!) comparing myself to others. "Am I as bad as this or that one? I'm not THAT bad, I've NEVER had a DUI....." etc.

Here is what I believe today. If alcohol is a big problem for a person, then it's a problem period. Just because one person lost their family and I didn't, or somebody got a DUI and I didn't, or somebody else lost their job and I didn't ...none of that matters. If I would have kept on drinking, things would have kept getting worse until ultimately those things DID happen.

It's only my suggestion but comparing yourself to others might not be a good use of your time and energy. Figuring out how to stop drinking was the best use of my time, for sure.

Have you downloaded the book? If not, that's a great place to start!

All the best to you on your journey. You're in great company here to find your own path to recovery and freedom from AL's grip.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Ok here goes...

I think your advice seems sound doggygirl. I need to look at myself not others. I will download the book asap.

Thanks for your kind words.

PS

Nice spam pic!!!

Comment

Ok here goes...

Day two. Had a big urge when I finished work just now, but drank a load of water and reread my list of reasons. I can and will do this!!!

My energy levels at work were brilliant !!

Comment

Ok here goes...

Hiya Any, great going on day 2!
            Good work on conquering those urges, they can and will happen but they can be beaten too.
            The sober life really is the good life. I waited far too long to find that out, but at least I have the chance to enjoy it now. You are right getting a grip on this early.
            Good luck to you.
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Ok here goes...

:goodjob: on Day 2! And I like how you are looking at the positives i.e. higher productivity rather than just focusing on urges to drink. Alcohol is addictive and therefore there WILL be urges. Lots of them. That can be eased with supplements and some other things recommended in the book, but they will not disappear entirely. But focusing on the reasons you want to stop drinking, and focusing on the positives in how you feel when AF will help you overcome the urges.

Good going!

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Ok here goes...

Welcome Any Excuse...
                we are all here for you and are fighting the same battle....I know I am
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Ok here goes...

Thanks guys,

roll on the next day.

Comment

Ok here goes...

Great job!! You might find the Tool Box thread in Monthly Absitnance helpful. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html
                    sigpic
                    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Ok here goes...

thanks greeneyes, Im on to it! X

Comment

Ok here goes...

Bed time, which means day two is beaten!! in your face AL!!!

Just agreed to start planning a new business with an old trustworthy friend as well. Now thats something to focus on!!

Hope everyone is good tonight XXX

Comment

Ok here goes...

Well Done anyexcuse.. and good luck with your new business.. that should certainly take your mind of AL!
                          "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Ok here goes...

Welcome to MWO

Hi Excuse,
                            Welcom to MWO. I don't have a wonderful ending story to share but i can tell you that in 8 years I have drunk everyday until I met all these wonderful people " family" I accomplished a 3 AF. I'm really proud of that. Moving forward I have wonderful things and accomplishment coming my way. So do you. I'm here. All you have to do is reach out and stick to it. When I did my 3AF, I can't remember a more wonderful exciting feeling. Look at my post I woke up every morning glowing. Such a wonderful feeling. You can do this. We all believe in you.
                            Welcome again.
                            :welcome:

Comment

Ok here goes...

Hi M22,

mmm the day two sleep is not actually coming that easy after all! But I will still be waking up AF on day3.

I think I need to calm down a bit. Its ok being positive, but I might be setting myself up for a bigger fall. Its still very early days after all.

Good luck M22, I don't have much advise to give atm, but Im sure here to listen and support should you need a friend.

regards ae

Comment

Working...
                              X