My Story-in short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Story-in short

Today is 63 days AF for me and I wanted to share some of my story. Up until recently I really had trouble openly admitting to others (and myself) that I was unmistakebly a raging alcoholic. I put on a good facade for a few years like a lot of us do. Always made sure my house was clean, when it came to my appearence I was obsessive about looking as perfect as possible-probably trying to hide how ugly and destroyed I felt inside. I was ashamed and disgusted with myself and I drank with a vengence in what I now realize was a passive-aggresive attempt at killing myself. I did some very evil things while I was heavily drinking (nothing illegal) but I hurt people that I cared about so badly that I find it almost impossible to forgive myself. My Ex probaly took the absolute worst of it. I lied to him, cheated on him, was verbally and physically abusive. Threw temper tantrums that would give the most rotten 2 year old in the world a run for their money and all he did was try to love me and support me emotionally and eventually financially since at the time I happily quit my job for no reason other than to have more quality drinking time (oh Lord). I left him in the end, I couldn't believe anyone could love and care about me. I felt so unloveable.... I don't know how he hung in as long as he did. I have made many heartfelt apologies to him and he says he forives me. Drinking brought out such a hideous side to me it makes me shudder every time I remember. I know 63 days is not that long but where I came from it feels like a million days. I have too many stories to put down here but I also want to let you all know what happened to me physically. I was admitted into the ER last August over the course of about 4-5 days I progressively was losing feeling in my feet. It started as a "pins and needles" feeling.Then I found it almost impossible to walk or maintain any kind of balance. Now, I have always been physically active and was in dance for many years so I thought I was in great shape, despite my off the charts alcohol consumption and very little food intake, I was still working out a lot and helping my friend with her dance school. My BAL was 0 upon admission but my lab work caused a great deal of alarm. My LFT's were so high they could not believe it for a woman my age and my Kidneys were leaking a toxic substance. I was in the Hospital for 4 days. They got my labs to somewhat near normal. My potassium was so low they said if I had waited another day to come in I probably would have gone into cardiac arrest. One of the Dr's said the situation could have turned out like Terri Schiavo's (she was treated at the Hospital I was in).
    So, did quit drinking for about 3 weeks. Then believe it or not-started drinking AGAIN! Landed in the hospital again in late January. My Dr came in to see me madder than a hornet and made me sign a note to put in my chart that I understood if I, Cindi ________ continued to drink I would die. Make no mistake about it. He signed it and I did.
    That did change my thinking about alcohol. What I once thought was my best, dearest friend in the world wanted to kill me! Well, I will not go down without a fight. I am happier and I feel better than I have in years. Some of physical damage is here to stay but I still go to the gym every day, eat healthfully, improve that in every way I can. My kidneys are back to normal. LFT's are a lot lower. The mental part is an ongoing healing process, like my body. I know I can do it and I NEVER want to go back to that place again!!!! Our bodies are precious and damage is being done every time alcohol enters the body.

If you've ever taken alcohol into your body, you have very little will to live. The body was not meant to intake alcohol. It impairs the mind.
    ~God from Conversations with God (Book 1) through Neale Donald Walsch [/B]
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching.
    ~author unknown

One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I'm having a good time.
    ~Nancy Astor

My Story-in short

Hiya Cindi,
    You are a hero of mine, and in my eyes, you are remarkable, and show that we really can do anything we put our mind to.

Congratulation's on 63 day's! Getting ya life back....Yeah!............. Bravo! xx

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

My Story-in short

Cindi,
      I am so pleased that you have gone so long AF - well done! AL does bring out the worse in us.. I have been evil too at times when drunk.. but we cannot let the past dictate to us now.. we have come too far - and you have learnt so much.. to go this long AF you are an inspiration!
      Keep up the good work, you are doing so well, being healthy.. and I am pleased that your blood tests are now looking more "normal"..
      Take care of yourself.. do not blame yourself for past mistakes.. we are all learning; it was not you, it was the alcohol.. I don't mean to take any responsibility away.. but AL is a highly addictive substance.. it draws us in, and makes us think we need it to be happy.. but it does turn on us and make us do and say things we would never ever do if sober.. which is the "real" us..
      Katie xxx
      "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

My Story-in short

Hi Cindi! Fellow doggy lover!! Thank you for sharing your story. Congratulations on your 60+ days of sobriety and your renewed commitment to YOURSELF and YOUR LIFE!!!! Getting honest with myself was one of the hardest parts for me. Congratulations to you for being honest with yourself and with all of us. I think that's an important step in a very good direction.

Strength and hope to you!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

My Story-in short

Hello Cindi
          Thank you for sharing your story. So honest and real and so much sadness. I think 63 days is a million years so you are my hero to.

Congratulations, great job, keep going...you make me feel better because you overcame and told you story.

Thanks heaps for sharing!
          H
          Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

My Story-in short

:wd::wd::wd::good:

Comment

My Story-in short

Cindi, well done on 63. You have made me think. I don't believe I am loveable either. I have some things to think about. Thanks.

Comment

My Story-in short

Thanks for sharing some of your story with us. It made me cry! I can relate to so much of what you said, although thankfullly I have not ended up in the hospital. I too cannot believe anybody could love me, but my partner is still standing by, despite the months indeed years of unkind, moody, out of hand behaviour towards him! I cringe at some of the things I can remember doing, so goodness only knows what else I did that I can't remember!
                Great to hear your success and determination, well done on all those days AF. Keep going.
                ButterflyBe

Comment

My Story-in short

Hi Cindi, thanks for sharing your story. That sure is a wakeup call, and anyone one of us on this forum could fill in the blank with our own name. Scary stuff !

I'm so happy you are doing better. I wish you lots of strength and determination on your continuing journey to a healthy life.
                  Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Working...
                  X