Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my first post

thanks

Hi John, thanks for words of encouragement. Psyched I made it through my first Friday/Saturday AF since I can't remember when. Really starting to feel better today. This site has been very helpful. Goal for today: watch football and not drink.

Comment

my first post

woody14;1008272 wrote: Hi John, thanks for words of encouragement. Psyched I made it through my first Friday/Saturday AF since I can't remember when. Really starting to feel better today. This site has been very helpful. Goal for today: watch football and not drink.
      I'm happy you made it through the two most difficult days, at least they were for me. Enjoy the games, and apply the same focus and determination you had yesterday. I find myself enjoying football and all sports better sober. Looking forward to hearing from you! John
      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

my first post

Hi Woody!
        I could be your twin :-) Same age, same deal with the house and job (I hate my job -- it is stressful, pays decent and I am really good at it. For now I am choosing to keep it but hoping that with sobriety will come other, more fulfilling avenues for a career path); I live in L.A. with stress, traffic, smog, all things that in the past have been my excuses for poisoning myself into oblivion.

I also wasn't a big fan of AA, so this place was a God send. The other thing that has helped turn my thinking around is a book that has helped many others here called The Easy Way to Stop Drinking by Allen Carr. It will give you a completely different perspective on just "what" alcohol really is and how we have fallen into its trap.

Also, I have found the supplements to be very helpful at reducing cravings. Despite my affinity for poisoning my body with alcohol, I have always been very conscious and mindful of good nutrition. I do believe that the supplements (especially the Vitamins and amino acids found in the All One) help to rebuild the poor brain's neurotransmitters.

Another thing I have done that has turned my thinking around and helped me stay vigilent these first few days (I'm on another Day 2) is googling "brain healing after alcohol addiction" or something similar, so that you can appreciate the battle your brain is going through as a result of so many years of drinking; then stopping. It is a monumental transition, and I think it helps to know that so that, when you are faced with overwhelming emotions, thoughts, etc., you know where it is coming from and the fact that there is a really good reason for it.

I wish you the best! I know for me, it has taken years and years, since the first time I saw what was happening to me, to get to a place where I really WANTED to quit. I'm at that place now. The thing that I did differently this time was found an incredible addictions therapist who started teaching me to listen to my own wisdom. When I was in AA, I started believing all of the negative BS about how defective I was, how my "best thinking" (insinuating that an alcoholic's thinking is always wrong) got me there. I couldn't stand people's self-deprecating attitudes about themselves. I had enough of that that I already believed about myself and the whole thing felt toxic to me.

This woman actually encouraged me to leave AA if I felt that was the right decision
        So I did, and I have been working with her for the past year and a half, drinking the entire time. This past week I had a huge "shift" as a result of my work with her (you can read it under the thread I started "I'm back and more motivated than ever." She has taught me to see myself with compassion and love; the entire time she has reinforced that she sees great strides and she knows beyond the shadow of a doubt that I will wake up one day and realize this just is not working anymore. She has literally been my only support (until I found this forum), but her support has been exactly what I needed.

If you are in a position to seek out the help of a professional, that is another option as well.
        The trick is finding people who are open to other avenues than AA. But I believe when the time is right, we are led to the right people. My stumbling onto Anne is a perfect example of that

Anyway, welcome to this forum! It is a wonderful place and there are lots of answers here. People are supportive and loving and always seem to have the right thing to say.
        Best to you in your journey!
        "No matter what happens, be fearless!"
        Sam - AF since 12/11/10

Comment

my first post

grateful

Hi Sam, thanks for your insight and recommendations. I have found everything here very helpful. I first came to this sight a few months ago don't even remember picking this screen name. What finally got to me was getting to the end of a journal that I had been keeping off and on for the past 2 years and realizing that I had been saying the same thing the entire time-I need to stop drinking. I would wake up every morning hating myself and doing that thing in my head all day but still drinking again the next night. My kids are 19,21 and 23 and the problem really got worse when they didn't "need" me like they did when they were little. No more football practice to get home for no kids waiting for supper etc. This freed up a lot of time that I filled with friends and more and more partying. Not that I haven't had fun but the unsafe and embarrassing times just aren't worth it anymore. I also have a very stressful job and work in healthcare so I see everyday what alcohol does to the human brain and body. So today is day 7. I am doing one day at a time but really want to keep this going. I feel like finally a switch has gone off and I finally know it's time. Good luck to you and thanks again!:thanks:
          Samantha T.;1008291 wrote: Hi Woody!
          I could be your twin :-) Same age, same deal with the house and job (I hate my job -- it is stressful, pays decent and I am really good at it. For now I am choosing to keep it but hoping that with sobriety will come other, more fulfilling avenues for a career path); I live in L.A. with stress, traffic, smog, all things that in the past have been my excuses for poisoning myself into oblivion.

I also wasn't a big fan of AA, so this place was a God send. The other thing that has helped turn my thinking around is a book that has helped many others here called The Easy Way to Stop Drinking by Allen Carr. It will give you a completely different perspective on just "what" alcohol really is and how we have fallen into its trap.

Also, I have found the supplements to be very helpful at reducing cravings. Despite my affinity for poisoning my body with alcohol, I have always been very conscious and mindful of good nutrition. I do believe that the supplements (especially the Vitamins and amino acids found in the All One) help to rebuild the poor brain's neurotransmitters.

Another thing I have done that has turned my thinking around and helped me stay vigilent these first few days (I'm on another Day 2) is googling "brain healing after alcohol addiction" or something similar, so that you can appreciate the battle your brain is going through as a result of so many years of drinking; then stopping. It is a monumental transition, and I think it helps to know that so that, when you are faced with overwhelming emotions, thoughts, etc., you know where it is coming from and the fact that there is a really good reason for it.

I wish you the best! I know for me, it has taken years and years, since the first time I saw what was happening to me, to get to a place where I really WANTED to quit. I'm at that place now. The thing that I did differently this time was found an incredible addictions therapist who started teaching me to listen to my own wisdom. When I was in AA, I started believing all of the negative BS about how defective I was, how my "best thinking" (insinuating that an alcoholic's thinking is always wrong) got me there. I couldn't stand people's self-deprecating attitudes about themselves. I had enough of that that I already believed about myself and the whole thing felt toxic to me.

This woman actually encouraged me to leave AA if I felt that was the right decision
          So I did, and I have been working with her for the past year and a half, drinking the entire time. This past week I had a huge "shift" as a result of my work with her (you can read it under the thread I started "I'm back and more motivated than ever." She has taught me to see myself with compassion and love; the entire time she has reinforced that she sees great strides and she knows beyond the shadow of a doubt that I will wake up one day and realize this just is not working anymore. She has literally been my only support (until I found this forum), but her support has been exactly what I needed.

If you are in a position to seek out the help of a professional, that is another option as well.
          The trick is finding people who are open to other avenues than AA. But I believe when the time is right, we are led to the right people. My stumbling onto Anne is a perfect example of that

Anyway, welcome to this forum! It is a wonderful place and there are lots of answers here. People are supportive and loving and always seem to have the right thing to say.
          Best to you in your journey!

Comment

my first post

Hello again! I just came back to this post, and want to say thank you to Choochie for the advice and other resources - just read the 51 Things! - and say hi to Samantha and congratulations for getting to what seems to be a real good place, and hi again to Woody - hope things are still moving forward!

I've been coming on this site almost daily and can read through posts for an hour or two easily! Don't often post myself - a classic lurker! - but appreciate seeing that I'm not alone...

I'm embarassed to say that I slipped up the other night, on Thanksgiving, and had about two bottles of wine - but I'm trying to use that as a learning experience, and yet another reminder that I'm not as strong as I think I am before I start drinking, and all resolve goes out the window.

I have started seeing a therapist that supports moderation, and hope that I'm as lucky as you were with yours, Samantha!

Thanks to all!!

Comment

my first post

Lights Out - be sure to post in different places so people can find you. :welcome: to MWO - a very good place! If you're wanting to moderate, there are threads with people doing that. You'll just have to search around for people talking about things that make sense for you.

Post questions and people will answer! Best to you.

Choochie

Comment

my first post

Welcome back, Lights Out!
                I'm so glad you found a therapist you like! I cannot say enough for finding someone who thinks outside the box and believes that no two people are alike when it comes to addiction (despite the common beliefs). I will keep you in my thoughts and I hope you are able to come up with a game plan to make things work for you :goodjob:
                "No matter what happens, be fearless!"
                Sam - AF since 12/11/10

Comment

Working...
                X