Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The battle begins... a shout for support.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have suffered with drug and alcohol abuse since I was 15.

It use to be marijuana and alcohol. Now it is just the alcohol. When I was 21 I drank drove. I smashed my car into a retainer wall. Thankfully, I was the only one in the car and I did not hit any other car or person. I was in intensive care. When I came through a nun said that God still required me to do work on this Earth. I thought she was crazy. Not even this accident could take away my sceptism for this world, and my own self-loathing and hatred, despite a terrible head injury.

I suffered with depression from a very young age, but only got treatment when I was in my late teens. I have been on anti-depressants since I was 18 and I am now 33. My doctor advises that I should treat my depression like diabetes. It is something that I can not control on my own, but can stay well with medication. (My carefully supervised attempts at withdrawal from antidepressants have always been short lived as my dives into suicidal thoughts, paranoia and panic attacks overwhelm me again.)

I have managed to maintain a hold on life. I have got my degree, I have held down jobs and I participate in the community. I have kids which I very rarely drink in front of. When they are asleep I get the bottle out and start to binge. I will drink until blackout and find myself on couch or delivered to my bed by hubby. I'm lucky (or unlucky) as I rarely get hang overs.

My brain uses every emotion to bring on a drinking session: "you've had a hard day you deserve a drink"; "you've had a great day, a drink would top it off"; "oh you managed through that meeting fabulously, you should have a drink"; "your highly anxious tonight you need a drink"; "I need sleep, the drink will help" etc etc etc.

I've tried to stop drinking on many occassions. Usually I last a week, the weekend comes and I say "bugger that I'm having a drink". The reasons I don't want to drink are because I am on medications for Rheumatoid Arthritis, they affect my liver, the alcohol will kill my liver even quicker; I don't want my kids to see my addiction and develop similar coping mechanisms; I want to live.

I've come here to MWO to get the support that I can't get anywhere else. I'm having trouble getting a handle on the forums as there is so much available.... but I'm throwing myself in anyway. I so want to end this cycle of drinking and enjoy a long and properous life. I hope I meet some online pals that I can support and they can support me.

Much love, Sarah:groupluv:
    :heart:When the wine is in, the wit is out. ~Proverb

Sarah,:l
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better and watching you go from strength to strength.
    J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

hi sarah and welcome. thanks for sharing your story. i suggest you read as much as you can here and keep posting to let us know how you are getting on
      Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
      Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to MWO. This is fantastic community with lots of wonderful wise and compassionate people. It is definitely my lifeline. You day that you have a bit of difficulty with the forums because there is somuch going on. You could do as I do, find one that fits you as a home base and then roam around making yourself known on others that pick up your interest. I hang out on the Underoos thread mostly, but contribute and read over the whole spectrum of threads. There is so much to learn and share. Love and grace Saffxx
        I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Best wishes on your journey Sarah.
          Keep reading here, and check out this

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Welcome Sarah, you are in the right place anywhere within MWO, glad you found us. Keep posting here till you find your way around, you will be made most welcome everywhere, for we understand only too well what it is like to live with this curse. Support, advice and help is always on hand here 24/7.
            Keep safe
            KTAB
            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hiya Sarah :welcome:to MWO ...........

Like KTAB says, you now have a 24/7 support network of people that really understand how you feel ..........

Keep reading and posting and we are all here to extend a hand to you should you need it .........

BB xxx
              sigpicXXX

Comment

thankx for sharing sarah ..and thank god you are still with us .. now just keep doing your best to find your way out stay strong and keep thinking positive
                :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Welcome Sarah...just jump in anywhere..alot of new peeps join the Newbies Thread
                  I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                  Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hi Sarah I'm please to meet you. I wish you all the best. Keep posting we all want to get to know you! John
                    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Thanks for your valuable comments. Much appreciated. I will follow your advise, I've got more determination right now than ever before. xo
                      :heart:When the wine is in, the wit is out. ~Proverb

Comment

Welcome Sarah!
                        Thanks for sharing your story. It is NOT easy, but it CAN be done. We'll support you any way that we can. Keep reading and posting. I look forward togetting to know you!
                        K9
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hi Sarah - I'm just now reading your story but I think we post on some of the same threads.

I just want to say that it's wonderful of you to share your story - I think it will help you too (therapeutic). We can say things here we aren't comfortable talking about elsewhere. It's a very safe and nurturing place.

I'm approaching 60 days AF and attribute it mainly to the help I've gotten here. I spend a lot of time on the site because it gives me the foundation to stay sober. I know that the more time we can remain alcohol free, the more resolve we'll have to stay sober. And, if we falter, we just must pick ourselves up and start again. You can do this not only for yourself but for your family.

I'd like to make one suggestion that I just learned of today. Gaia was kind enough to give me a link to Women For Sobriety. You can post there but don't have to. I joined mainly because they have an amazing amount of online materials you can read. I've already found some articles that have helped me and I just joined today. It takes a few hours for them to approve you but after that you have access to the library.

Please let us know how we can best help you. In the Toolbox (link from Guitarista) there are sample sobriety plans, and just tons of information. It seems the people who are successful here have a multi-pronged approach to stay sober that includes exercise, healty diet, reading about addiction (as much as you have time for), and of course interacting with others here.

I wish you luck and send you strength. You can do this - and if you can get 30 days of sobriety, you will begin to see things more clearly. You'll start feeling better and better the longer you go. At least that's been true for me and I hope it will be for you too.

Hugs,
                          Choochie:l

Comment

Choochie;1014729 wrote: Hi Sarah - I'm just now reading your story but I think we post on some of the same threads.

I just want to say that it's wonderful of you to share your story - I think it will help you too (therapeutic). We can say things here we aren't comfortable talking about elsewhere. It's a very safe and nurturing place.

I'm approaching 60 days AF and attribute it mainly to the help I've gotten here. I spend a lot of time on the site because it gives me the foundation to stay sober. I know that the more time we can remain alcohol free, the more resolve we'll have to stay sober. And, if we falter, we just must pick ourselves up and start again. You can do this not only for yourself but for your family.

I'd like to make one suggestion that I just learned of today. Gaia was kind enough to give me a link to Women For Sobriety. You can post there but don't have to. I joined mainly because they have an amazing amount of online materials you can read. I've already found some articles that have helped me and I just joined today. It takes a few hours for them to approve you but after that you have access to the library.

Please let us know how we can best help you. In the Toolbox (link from Guitarista) there are sample sobriety plans, and just tons of information. It seems the people who are successful here have a multi-pronged approach to stay sober that includes exercise, healty diet, reading about addiction (as much as you have time for), and of course interacting with others here.

I wish you luck and send you strength. You can do this - and if you can get 30 days of sobriety, you will begin to see things more clearly. You'll start feeling better and better the longer you go. At least that's been true for me and I hope it will be for you too.

Hugs,
                            Choochie:l
                            BEWDIFUL POST CHOOCHIE
                            I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Sarah's Jeopardy;1014029 wrote: IMy brain uses every emotion to bring on a drinking session: "you've had a hard day you deserve a drink"; "you've had a great day, a drink would top it off"; "oh you managed through that meeting fabulously, you should have a drink"; "your highly anxious tonight you need a drink"; "I need sleep, the drink will help" etc etc etc.
                              Wow, this is exactly how I feel every evening! It made me a little emotional to know I am not the only one. I usually lose that battle with my mind and end up having several drinks. I hope that you make progress and look forward to reading your posts

My best

Nailz

Comment

Working...
                              X