A lurker makes her first post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been lurking for a while, reading posts, read the book. I decided to post today because maybe this will give me a start in putting down the beer and making something of my life before it's too late.

I have been drinking since I was 14 and I will be 36 next week. It started out with drinking with friends at parties, etc. It never was a problem for me when my kids were born and little as I was busy taking care of them and working full time. Besides, I was too busy dealing with their dads alcohol problems and consequences of same. One of many instances -He once came home drunk, walked into our room, woke me up asking where the guy was-he thought I was hiding another man. Then he put a loaded pistol to my head after I tried to leave with our boys. I left with the kids to my parents house in my pjs and no shoes. I still don't know how I got him to put down the gun. When I left he was sitting on our bed clicking the barrel. I fully expected him to kill himself that night. He stopped drinking for a while after that and started seeing a therapist. Things did get better. But he drank again. That was 10 years ago.

Then over the years we kind of switched places and MY drinking and behavior became the problem. We both would drink and do cocaine. I would do things that embarrassed him and myself. I would promise to behave and would get sloppy drunk and do stupid things. Then he would get angry and our arguments, alcohol fueled, would become physical. While I was out of town working, he got a girlfriend who was a friend or so I thought. They had an affair that I wasn't able to stop until 9 months later I gave him an ultimatum. He chose our family over her. I thought I was happy. My drinking now became the biggest problem. Along with discovering I was bisexual and dealing with all of those confusing feelings and pain. I started to cut myself. I was hurting and damn angry and alcohol made things easier. We still drank together alot and did cocaine. But it was ME who had the problem according to him. One night I got cozy with a girl friend and made her boyfriend very angry. I became physically uncontrollable and he actually called my parents to come deal with me. About 3 weeks after that episode I ended up in Rehab for 21 days. I gave up drinking for 40 very long days. I went to AA a few times. Then when we were out to lunch he suggested that I could have one beer and I thought about it and boom. Back to drinking and everything was back to where it was before. I started to hate him. I hated him because I knew he wasn't supporting me in my desire to change. I knew that from that moment I didn't love him anymore. I withdrew from our relationship gradually over the next couple of years. I started seeing a therapist. I wanted to divorce but he wanted to stay married. Finally, he had enough and agreed to divorce, telling me that he didn't want to jump into another relationship and hoped that I would do the same (which is funny cause he already had a girlfriend by the time he moved out two weeks later). So now, the divorce is final. He lives with his girlfriend and we share custody of our boys age 10 and 13. I am alone alot when the boys aren't here. I am glad to be free of him, I thought my problems with alcohol would leave when he left. But alcohol stayed and dug in hard. I did a special diet for 6 weeks and lost 32 lbs and only drank once in the 6 weeks, then was so hungover I faked a migraine to get out of my sons basketball game. I am ashamed that my boys see me drunk. I try to hide it but they know. I feel so lonely and used up and unwanted. I want to get control of my life.
    I read somewhere on the board...I will not drink alcohol today, I will worry about tomorrow when it comes. This is my plan for today. Thanks for listening.

:welcome: Laurel74

Just wanted to say hello and congratulations for making your first post. It took me 10 months before I said anything.

Not going to overload you with advice for now but show you the link to the toolbox.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Glad you're here, Laurel.

J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Welcome, Laurel - glad you are here! :h
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Welcome and you are in good company here. . .I will not drink AL today, I will worry about tomorrow when it comes.:welcome::goodjob::l
        You always succeed if you never stop trying.
        Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Welcome and hello laurel, glad you have decided to post as your with a great community with great advice and support, you are not alone and i hope to see you around, good luck.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hiya, Laurel :hallo:

WooHoo for you!
            I'll do whatever it takes
            AF 21/08/2009

Comment

:welcome: Laurel
              Congratulations on making the decision that you want to change, that is half the battle in itself. ODAT is all you need to do, as you say " you will not drink today". This is a wonderful place and posting about your life and your progress will help you get it out and strengthen your resolve. Make a plan about how you will deal with trigger situations and how you will fill your time. You can do this!!
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

Laurel47, WELCOME! I am new here too (at least new to posting). Sit down and settle in... there will be LOTS of great advice to follow, if you choose. Good Luck!

Spede

Comment

Yaaay!! Glad you posted Laurel. And you too Spede. It takes a lot to take that step of opening up.
                  As you both already know, there is a lot of advise and similiar stories on this sight.
                  Laurel, I feel your pain about dealing with a fellow addict. It makes it very difficult to move on and move up. My husband always likes to blame me when we drink together. I've only been sober for two weeks now, but now he doesn't have me to blame for his nightly drinking.
                  Keep the positive steps moving forward. have a WONDERFUL day!!!
                  "Today's Test Is Tomorrow's Testimony"

Comment

:welcome: Laurel

I will join you, if you don't mind. I will not drink alcohol today

And welcome to you, Spede, as well.
                    Hope to see you two around and succeeding.
                    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

I did it! No drinking today. Thank you all for your support. ODAT

Comment

:goodjob: Laurel, here's to day two!
                        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                        AF - JAN 1st 2010
                        NF - May 1996

Comment

Welcome Laurel, great that you found us and decided to post. Thank you for sharing your story I hope it helps to put it down in black and white. You can do this, the support here is amazing.
                          Keep safe
                          KTAB
                          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Laurel74;1022938 wrote: I did it! No drinking today. Thank you all for your support. ODAT
                            Fabulous!
                            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Laurel--

Congrats-- I am a lurker too-- but the help I have gotten on this site is great. By the way, this is going to sound off but what diet did you go on to lose 32 lbs in 6 weeks? I would love to do that. I am a little older than you and because of a huge gain with my son in pregnancy and then the booze I need to get some weight off. PM me if you would prefer-- I hope you can share with me!! Happy Holidays!.

Comment

Working...
                              X