2+ years sobriety lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2+ years sobriety lost

Jannie, I too went through a period of sobriety (2 months for me) and then decided to try drinking. With results like you describe - back to my previous levels within a very short period of time. Like Greenie said, I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone (nor recommend it!) but for many of us, it seems a necessary part of the journey. It was necessary for me at any rate, to finally GET IT that I am an alcoholic who can NEVER drink safely. There never has been "just one" for me and there never will be.

That knowledge is worth gold to me, and in my case it took relapse to figure it out. So maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

I wish you well on your journey. Be willing to do whatever it takes.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

2+ years sobriety lost

Jannie,
      I concur with all the posts made. I had 3 1/2 months sober after coming to MWO and I also live with a husband who is a very heavy nightly drinker .
      I too thought, just a few to get ease the stress. Impossible too many times.

My husband also has always said, just count your drinks! So easy. He doesn't want to understand because then he may have to change.

I also, about 10 years ago tried AA for 2 years. It was all men in my little town and there was so much 3 stepping it was a disaster for me. I also learned from their stories how to drink. I had been a once a month binge drinker, newly single, trying to learn to be social, with no friends. I would get drunk and then stay away from it for a month because of such embarrassment! I latched on to the stories of how to get over a hangover by drinking the next morning. How they drank in the past, as crazy as it seems, made me feel I just hadn't done it right! I was off and running.

I'm not blaming AA, sure it is a benefit to many. I feel in the long run MWO is going to be my savior, as I finally see I'm not alone as a woman in this struggle. I've learned so much here. I'm am not giving up on myself yet.

Hold your head high and be proud. You made a temporary mistake and now you know better! You know you can do it again!

Comment

Working...
      X