A Calif. newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Calif. newbie

Hey DG, you made me crack up! You are, of course right about doing stupid things while drinking! My big issue with anonymity is that I was involved in a fairly ridiculous lawsuit (and Stanton Peele has written that attending AA has actually been used as evidence in court) that was not about drinking, but any implication that I have a drinking problem could be used in court. This from a guy (a very minor celebrity) who falsified marriage to me (and I wasn't drinking heavily at all at the time) and then wiped out my savings. The courts in LA just loooooove celebrities, especially when they're suing a little nobody.

I know this sounds paranoid, but the ex actually spent nearly $200,000 suing *me,* and had a PI following me around too. I'm not sure why, as I wasn't doing anything wrong -- or even anything interesting -- but I want to do this as privately as possible. I don't think he has any way of finding me, but he sure went overboard last time. Ain't Hollywood great?

Anyway, I have an appointment now this afternoon with a PhD psychologist to talk about my problem. On Monday I will also see a psychiatrist to get Naltrexone and Antabuse prescribed. I managed not to drink yesterday and I have a sober buddy girlfriend who also wants not to drink during Lent. She's in my gym class so I see her twice a day and sometimes more often if we go for a walk. We agreed to text or call each other if a craving arose.

And after reading, thinking, and examining my life more closely, I think this will be permanent abstinence. I walked to the Venice Pier yesterday (epicenter of drunken freaks and pot dispensaries) and noticed there were a lot of idiots stumbling around at 3 pm. And for once, I'm wasn't one of 'em. My life and health are surprisingly good, but at 51 that can't last much longer.

Comment

A Calif. newbie

Hi Crimsons. Sorry I missed welcoming you back when you first posted. I wish you success in moving to an AF lifestyle. Stick closely to your exercise and surrounding yourself with a good support network. Anyway, it's nice to meet you! John
      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

A Calif. newbie

@John, thanks for the welcome!My shrink session went really well. The psychologist is Marc Kern, who's written a great book called "Take Control Now." He accepts AA but also explores alternative methods and therapies. I'm going to see him weekly for awhile and I decided that for now I will not use Antabuse or Naltrexone. He offers some great tools for restructuring life and learning to live in a positive and productive manner. (He also loves the MWO site). Off to bed now for a deep dreamy AF sleep.

Comment

Working...
        X