X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Birthday! Hello World!

To All,

Here is my story in brief and other stuff will come to light as I post -
    I may repeat things I have said in other threads so sorry if I am redundant.

I am 50 years old and amazed to still be here!
    I began drinking at 17 and throughout college was known as "the party girl".
    I was a weekend drinker until 1991 when my father died. Dad was a functioning alcoholic and a very good man. My world collapsed; my hero was gone. Drinking was the only anesthetic I knew to numb the pain. At this point it was mostly beer and Tequila.
    In 2001 I discovered wine; wine became my new best friend.
    My marriage of 18 years slowly began to crumble and he left in 2007. I want to blame him too but this is about me.
    The divorce was tough and I began to drink full throttle and I mean FULL throttle.
    My doctor saw me several times for falls, bruises, and injuries, all caused by my alcohol intake. To this day I think she assumed I was being abused and I guess I was; alcohol was taking it's toll.
    I took some time off from work and went into a deep depression. I only got dressed when I threw on an old t-shirt and sweats to go to the store. Showers, cleaning, being there for my kids, I did nothing but drink. My son came home from college and immediately moved back home. He saved my life. I really had the intent of drinking myself to death. I had to deal with the sadness and depression and the only way I knew how to do this was to get mad. I got mad at the world. Everyone was fair game. Family and friends stopped calling or coming by because I was a mean ass drunk now; the party girl had left the stage.

Fast Forward to Fall 2010. I began lurking on here after finding this site after being prescribed Disulifram. It scared me to death but I had become desperate at finding sobriety. I joined in October and tried stopping cold turkey and made it 11 days. I became a "new" user in January 2011. My old screen name was unique and I use it elsewhere and was in jeopardy of anonymity.
    I chose Baclofen after reading and reading and reading up on it.
    I am not going to have my family watch me die from alcohol.

Today is my birthday and for the first time I see myself in the future, with a life, and growing old gracefully.
    I have been sober since Valentines day. It is amazing. I will never go back, never.

I applaud everyone on this journey. Say hello to the world every morning.
    It doesn't matter which way out you take, just take your way and embrace it.

Good luck to all of us -

Lady
    The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Hi

Hi Lady,

Thankyou for your post it was so heartfelt, I too lost my lovely Dad in 1991.

I am so pleased that you are getting yourself together again, its amazing how we can lose the plot so badly but somehow clamber back on and regroup so well done.

Also a big Happy Birthday to you, I hope you have a lovely time.

Luv Flo x
    Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

Happy Birthday..and hope the first of many AF for you..be strong and remember all the things you hate about AL..when I get a craving, and this is rarely now{100 plus days}, I just think about how I would feel waking up the next day, not remembering most of it and the things I did remember I wished I didnt. Cravings come and go, and they are much better than what AL does to you. Good Luck to you..you can do it!!
      AF since 10/14/2010...

Comment

Happy Birthday!!
        K x
        Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
          "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Lady - Happy Birthday! What an inspiring story. So glad your son was there for you and you seem to know exactly what you want in life now and that definitely doesn't include alcohol. Hope you know that your story will help others who may be lurking here and maybe afraid to join in.

Have a great day and congratulations on your new life!
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Happy Birthday Lady: Hope you have a wonderful birthday, we are close to the same age, thank you for your story as I have also drank for many years and finally I also see a future,it feels good. Hugs Summer

Comment

All,

Thanks to all of you!
                Misty, you will know me from my other name; we both had the brothers I am so glad to see you here and sober! Stay in touch. One2Many, you have been on here since my start...I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks everyone!

lady
                The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

Comment

Hi LL..yeas I remember you, and I am still in the same situation, doing good and AF 135 days. Good luck to you..sounds like you are on your way to better days...
                  AF since 10/14/2010...

Comment

Misty,
                    Post anywhere, just post :-)

Love all you guys!

Comment

Happy Birthday! And congratulations on finding your way out. What a fabulous Valentines Day gift to yourself - sobriety! I can so relate to that horrible, hopeless dark dark place where we went in the end. I never want to go back there - let's help each other stay here in the sunshine!

Looking forward to sharing the journey,

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggy,

As always to me and a LOT of other posters...you are a wonderful example and inspire many of us!

Thanks
                        Lady

Comment

Lovely story Lady.
                          Congratulations, you should be really proud of yourself.
                          Happy belated Birthday.

All the very best.
                          Damo in Dublin
                          Still trying !!!
                          AF 25th June2014

Comment

Damo in Dublin

Thanks so much, I am very happy where I am and where I am going.
                            I could not have done any of it without MWO.

Thanks again,

Lady

Comment

Lady Lush, thank you for posting your story. Happy birthday and congratulations on your decision to start a joyful journey in life without AL. It just gets better and better. I agree with what Mitsysmoma says...whenever I have a craving coming about (they are getting weaker and weaker each day the link in my sobriety gets stronger and stronger) BUT I do get cravings every once in a while and when I do, I always think of how I will feel in the morning...I know I will hate myself, especially after coming so far. It is nice to meet you and I sincerely wish you the best on your path of sobriety!
                              Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                              :h

Comment

Working...
                              X