Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Time

Time to come out of lurkdom, say Hello and :thanks:

I've been a career drinker for 35 years. I used it to deal with social anxiety in the beginning but, about 14 years ago I realised I had a problem with AL. I've tried a few times since then to cut down or stop but have got steadily worse to the point where last year I was drinking 1 1/2 - 2 bottles of wine 5-6 days a week.

I don't start drinking before about 5 in the evening and I've managed to keep in a job most of my life. I believe "high-functioning" is the term for this kind of alcoholism but that's not how it feels. Drink to blackout, wake at 3am, heart banging away, sweating through the sheets no matter what season it is, chewing down antacids, knowing "quality" sleep time is over for the night, then underperforming my way through the workday and coming home to do it all over again. Oh, and the shame and guilt and trying to hide the after effects.

In January this year I heard something on the radio about it being the start of a new decade and the lightning bolt hit - what the f*!k happened to the last one?? I'd been on this miserable treadmill for the last decade and I was staring at the same for the next if I
    didn't do something.

I got online and found MYO and other information about treating addiction, bought some books on Amazon (I can recommend "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" Dr Amiesen's book and "Get Sober, Stay Sober") and worked out a plan. I started with acupuncture and St. Johns Wort early February and was able to cut back to drinking 1-2 nights a week. Moderation was my goal then and initially it was just 2 or 3 drinks on those nights but it pretty quickly ramped up to 2 bottles again and I could see where it was heading so, 30 days ago I had my last drink!!

My plan is to stay AF while I get some counselling and try to undo the damage I've done to my body (losing 35KG of Traminer Reisling will keep me occupied for a bit anyway :upset. At the moment I can't see a reason to drink again. Life's so much better without it. Freedom! All I got out of booze at the end was about an hour and a half comfortably numb then a light coma followed by sickness and regret.

In the past I've felt "unworthy" to contribute (never crashed my car, had a DUI, lost my job, been in rehab etc.) and so I lurked and read. One thing I've realised reading on this forum is that there are many different ways to have a problem with AL and there are many of us struggling along, feeling alone, just keeping our heads above water but leading a pretty miserable internal life while pretending things are fine to the outside world.

Thankyou to all who share their stories here. Following along with you has helped me start and stay on track. Hopefully my story can help someone else do the same.

It's Time

Hey Crocster,

Congratulations on deciding to become AF. I just decided to go completely AF as well, and I've been 3 days without a drink.

I just finished a great book called Change Anything that might help you out. They also have a nice website at ChangeAnything.com

Comment

It's Time

Welcome crocster! And huge congratualtions on 30 days!! Thank you for sharing your story. Wishing you continued success!
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

It's Time

Welcome to MYO Crocster, thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your 30.

Keep safe
        KTAB
        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

It's Time

Hi Crocster , well done on 30 days AF .
          In the past I've felt "unworthy" to contribute (never crashed my car, had a DUI, lost my job, been in rehab etc.) and so I lurked and read
          don't be afraid to post a lot of people here have never had any of the above happen to them , some have, luckily you have decided to do something about your problem before it happens to you . MM
          AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

It's Time

Hi Croster and welcome. Great going on 30 days I am on day 32 AF and I feel free for the first time in a long time. We have similar stories.
            Keep posting its good to see another Aussie and not to far away in Brisbane.

Comment

It's Time

Thankyou all for your welcome and support.

IDon'tDrink: Congrats on your decision too. Hang in there. It was the best decision I've made in a long time. Just to be sitting here at 8pm, sober and clear, typing away (with BOTH fingers and few corrections) is such a change from a month ago. Thanks for the book recommendation. I will check out the web site tonight. You may already know but there's a huge amount of information contained in these forums too. I read for hours every day the first few weeks and still read daily.

Zen: The Seven Weeks approach makes good sense to me. I use some of the supps recommended there plus a liver support tonic. One of the legacies of my "career" is alcoholic fatty liver so I'm pampering it from now on.

Mia: Your posts these past 30 days were one of my main inspirations to keep going so thankyou again and here's to milestones to come for both of us. Are you a banana bender?

Comment

It's Time

Hiya Croc,
                Welcome and have at posting away. I found this site a few months ago and it has been my life line to sobriety. Iherb.com has a lot of cheap supplements and it ships to Oz pretty quickly. I use the LGLUT and the calms forte. Anyways, that and all the support here has done wonders for me. You should check out the underoos thread seeing as you're a fellow Aussie. Welcome again.

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Working...
                X