Here I Go . . . Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here I Go . . . Again

Well, this looks like the place for unflinching honesty where I will be able to share my story completely. AA has been almost that place. But not quite.

I am on the border line of losing my family, my employer becoming aware of my problem and my health beginning to suffer. I have drank heavily on and off since I was 14. I'm 42 now. Never really cared to stop, but have at times. Now I really want to and can't seem to do it at all.

Over the last few months I have tried inpatient treatment, therapy, Naltrexone, anti-depressants, sheer will and AA. I got a sponsor, went to meetings, read the steps, tried to work the steps, exposed my soul to people, embarrassed myself when sharing intimate details and found once again I do not socialize on a long term basis with people very well.

I cannot get past the God thing either and I have no idea right now how I feel about a Higher Power. My thoughts on 'God' have changed many times. This program won't work for me unless I could figure that out in combination with conquering the social thing.

So I stopped calling people, I evenually didn't call my sponsor. I cannot face people when I have to admit I have been drinking. This fight for me is not over and the beast will not lay down and die. At least not yet. But I feel I am at a critical stage now. I am on a sort of fence. One side is survival and a sunny wheat field blowing in the breeze and the other is a slow death, a brick wall in a dark alley where all the unrecoverable alcoholics lean themselves against that wall and drown in booze.

I am choosing the side that's survival. I want the sunshine.

I know I can get farther and farther away from this addiction and it's hold on me. With knowledge about different ways to help myself I will learn the path that is right for me. Today is day 1 and I am going to start Campral today, up the Naltrexone dose.

There seems to be a lot of resources here and support. It is great to have found this site and find a new way to try to kill the beast.

Here I Go . . . Again

Hi Effy,

Welcome! You sound very determined. I reached that critical place too and decided I wanted to live. It wasn't easy to stop but it is possible.

There are some good ideas in the Toolbox in the monthly abstinence section. Here's a link: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

You're probably familiar with a lot of the ideas after your experiences in treatment/AA etc but there might be some handy reminders in there.

Let us know how you're getting on.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Here I Go . . . Again

Just for today effy...... just get through today without a drink.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
      X