So here goes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here goes....

I have been checking MWO for about a year now and just got on this summer. I remember my first drink at 15 on New Years Eve. Jack and coke in a sports bottle. OH boy did that kick my a$$. Well I didn't drink again until probably 18 or so. Malt liquor. So awful. I began drinking regularly right at 21. I moved away at that time and really started drinking socially heavy. I worked in a Nat'l park and didn't have a car so it was easy to visit the bar(s) and walk back to by dorm. I did this for 6 years and I remember many hungover mornings. Problem is, I began blacking out something awful. I met my husband there and we moved here to Colorado where we worked in food service. FREE drinks about 80% of the time. We ended up hurting each other physically. After therapy, I realized I was angry. Angry at my Dad, more than anything. That's another ball of worms. Anyway, growing up, until I was 12 in a drunken household. My parents divorced and over the years I learned some pretty awful things about them, together and separate. Needless to say, my drinking has become not drinking too much, I can't drink more than 4 liquor drinks before blacking out. It's scary to think I don't remember much about the day or night before. Just last night may have been my bottom. I drank vodka straight, like 4 shots and I found myself in the bathroom taking OTC pain reliever. My husband is an EMT and I called him immediately. He assessed me over the phone, trying not to be angry. I made it through the night, and was awfully sick this morning. I feel fine now, physically but not emotionally. My kids made my day so wonderful I can't believe I almost wasn't here. I will be getting back in touch with my therapist, I hope she is still in town. I'm not looking for medications or anything just someone to talk to and help me. Thinking about today, I will take sobriety seriously and check in here often. There are some amazingly strong people here and I hope I can learn and find my own strength to beat this.
    'You might not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you!' - Walt Disney

I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. ~Agatha Christie

So here goes....

Hi Tiredofit,

Thankyou for sharing your story with us and your plans for the
    future.
    Do try and post often and read as much as you can as we are all
    in the same boat.
    I wish you good luck with your new journey here.
    May I suggest that you join in the Newbies thread on the
    Just Starting Out thread as there will be loads of lovely people there
    waiting to welcome you.
    with luv Flo x
    Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

So here goes....

Hi Tired. I'm glad you are here. This is a great place for support. The best way to stop all the chaos and insanity is to stop drinking, that's for sure. Then you can work on healing. :l

Look for the Toolbox thread at the top of the Monthly Abstinence Section. It's full of great ideas that will help you make a plan. I also suggest downloading the My Way Out book from the health store.

Strength and hope to you!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

So here goes....

Tired,

There are tons of people here who will listen and not judge. Please keep reading and posting - it takes courage to post your story here but hopefully you feel better doing it. There are so many success stories here that I hope you truly believe you can beat this addiction - because YOU CAN!
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

So here goes....

Welcome to you. looking forward to hearing much more from you!

John
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Working...
          X