Mirror Alcoholism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirror Alcoholism

That's just my stupid term for my type of issue, where the less I drink, the less I want to. I think my issue, based on many serious binge episodes, is that I get drunk once, socially, but then the next day, I just syphon it down to get rid of the hangover/withdrawal anxiety. I have on occasion braved the fear of heart attack or stroke and not drank - only on mild occasions - and voila, next day I felt no compulsion to drink.

What do you guys make of this?

Mirror Alcoholism

Hi Brad. I'm not sure I understand your post correctly. But I'll take a stab based on what I think I'm getting from it.

The hangover / anxiety following a drinking episode makes physiological sense to me. The fact that drinking resolves those feelings makes physiological sense to me. (CNS depressant / rebound cycle)

If you are saying on other occassions that you DON'T drink - perhaps in a situation where others are drinking, and then the next day you DON'T feel the after effects such as anxiety, that makes physiological sense to me as well.

Not sure if I understand what you are asking though. If I'm way off the mark, please clarify!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Mirror Alcoholism

Hey DG, long time.

No, I do drink otherwise, but I have no craving to do do. Normally a few lonesome beers. It's when it gets social and I don't leave because the company is fun, then it goes south, and the next morning is the first time I ever feel a craving.

What I'm asking is just opinion on my style compared to others who battle to live without booze for various emotional reasons. Mine are, I think, purely physical, but very pronounced. After even a weekend binge I can get extreme withdrawals.

Comment

Mirror Alcoholism

Looking back at your posts and mine, I think that's what I concluded too without realizing it - that the effects your are describing are the physical symptoms of depression (which are clinically speaking, tolerance and withdrawal) as opposed to the psychological symptoms which really aren't what you described...although a couple are hinted at such as drinking more drinkers over a longer period of time than one plans. The others are attempting to quit but not being able to, missing important events in order to drink, spending more and more time on drinking and related activites (nursing hangovers, acquiring / planning, etc.), continued drinking despite adverse consequences. That all according to the DSM-IV.

What you have described thus far sounds to me like withdrawal and probably tolerance too. (both physical symptoms)

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X