Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Defining Moment

So now we come to my defining moment.

A few weeks later now newly sober and testing the waters of having a social life we went to a 60th birthday party (not mine I'll hasten to add). Another wonderful Summer's evening and neither of us drinking.

We arrived about 7.30pm just as a group of men and woman who at been at the Races all day and had come to the party as their next venue.

I was sat gazing round the room amazed at how little alcohol some of the guests were drinking if any at all when the Kareoke cranked up. Surprising to say the least at only 8pm.

Then up jumped a lady from the group of race goers. Picture her late 40's, smart dress, beautiful hat, beautiful shoes, beautiful bag and a very large glass of white wine in one had and the mic in the other. She then proceeds to sing 'I will Survive' Gloria Gaynor all the while trying to pull her friends and family onto the empty dance floor.

I sat and watched and could have cried for her. I knew exactly how she felt. I knew she knew she was making a complete eejit of herself, I knew she didn't want to be the centre of attention. I wanted to get up and give her a hug and say it doesn't have to be like this any more.

I saw myself in that woman and I think of her often.

At that moment I knew, I just knew I could never safely take an alcohol drink again.

I call that my defining moment.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

The Defining Moment

We all have these defining moments jackieclare,And imo once we learn from them they are sometimes necessary and worthwhile.Well done again on turning your life around,You are such an important part of MWO and your continued support is well appreciated by everyone here.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

The Defining Moment

Hi All
      Jackie, reading your account of knocking on deaths door in your other post and the moment in this post that was the turning point in your life is strong examples of what al will do to us and that there can be a way out. So glad you are with us to show it can be done no matter how far gone someone thinks they are.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
      AF 5-16-08
      Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
      AF 5-16-08

Comment

The Defining Moment

Thank you, Jackie...my MWO "golden nugget" of the week! FF
        . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

The Defining Moment

GREAT POST !!!
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

The Defining Moment

So sad when we see our selves in others & we want so bad to rescue them & we can't. Usually all we can do is plant the seeds & hope they find their way out! I find it's best ta do it after their sober. I have had a few stints at sobriety, so this is at least my accounts of it.

I am just so happy you had that defining moment, when you saw this poor woman. Seeing a reflection of the old you. No, not you as being old. Ya sweet young thing. I think that's a song? Just have ta hope that she will have her defining moment too!...

Your defining moment has turned into something quite grand! Helping so many folks & their families who struggle. I wonder if looking back, did ya ever think that your journey would have turned out so beautifully? Ah Bless ya Jackie!

Free At Last!....

Comment

The Defining Moment

lovely and very inspiring JC....
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Working...
              X