My Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Introduction

Good Morning everyone. I'm a newbie to this board, but not to different approaches to sobriety. Long story short. I'm a 53-year-old married mom of 2 adult children. Through the years I've slowly established myself as an alcoholic. It absolutely does not run in my family. However, mental illness does. Had some therapy a few years ago and realized I've been "medicating" myself with a variety of behaviors, including drug and alcohol overuse. I gave up drugs without a problem. But I can't seem to do it with alcohol. Maybe because it's legal and socially acceptable. I'm married to a drinker who, truth-be-told, probably drinks too much. But nothing like me. We socialize alot and most of our friends are also drinkers. I've tried AA. It worked but I found it totally depressing and just don't think it's me. I'm also using WFS which is helpful, but still a little too earth motherl/kumbaya-ish for me. I think of myself as a very practical person and am looking for that in a program to help me stop drinking. I ordered some Antabuse that I hope will help kick-start a serious effort to overcome this awful situation. Hope to make some sober buddies here.
    EM:new:

My Introduction

hi ernie's mom
    i can relate regarding AA and WFS.....I am on day 2 so a newbie too. well, this will be the umpteenth day 2 for me but i feel really really hopeful and excited this time. look in tools to get some ideas for staying sober. I am starting a journal and writing down the reasons why i want to quit....i will refer back to them when the cravings get going....good luck!
    I just won't anymore

Comment

My Introduction

:welcome: Erniesmom,

I'm also in my 50's and my story is similar to yours - medicating with alcohol and tranquilizers. There is a very definite link between alcohol and drug abuse and a myriad of psychological problems. I myself medicated deep, underlying anxiety and stress as single mom. There are so many different medication to help the fight against Al, and I now keep Antabuse handy for when the "stinking thinking" begins. Once the AB is swallowed, the thoughts stop as well because you know you simply cannot drink.

Your welcome to PM me.
      :l
      make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Working...
      X