My Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Story

I don't quite know where to begin...but think I'll start with my wedding day to a guy I knew I'd eventually divorce, but didn't have the guts to end it when I should have.

What I did instead was live with a man who emotionally/verbally/psychologically abused me constantly for the 2 years we were married. I was yelled at for how long I decided to microwave a meal I was making for myself (I didn't follow the exact instructions on the box); for the direction I windexed a mirror in our house (should be counter-clockwise); for not using a ruler to hang a painting PRECISELY, etc.....I was told that my income was to go into a joint security account, but his income was all his (I never made that joint security account b/c I knew that would be insanely stupid). To cope with it, I started to drink. I mean, if I was going to be yelled at, I might as well be a little buzzed to handle it, right? At first a little, I'd drink before he came home...and then gradually, I'd go to my side of the house and he'd go to his, and I'd drink alone out of sadness, too.

Finally, I got the courage to leave, with one bag, assuming we'd get counseling. He didn't want to. I filed for divorce. He made me go to court for the right to go back into our house to pack up all of my childhood/personal belongings...even as he started to date someone new. I was working the overnight shift a news station at the town we'd moved to...and barely knew anyone. To cope with the loneliness, I continued to drink some more.

I was offered a job in our old town & returned there...but all my old friends now had their own kids....and I was still dealing with the emotional baggage of the 2 year marriage and the nearly year-long divorce process he made us go through. To deal with the boredom of coming home alone, I kept drinking...up to 12 beers or 2 bottles of wine a night. Wake up hungover, get coffee, go to work, come home, repeat cycle. Dated a guy 8 years younger than me long-distance until I visited once and realized he was cheating on me with someone more age appropriate. DUH!

I've got to finally end this cycle of self-pity/boredom/lack of confidence. That's why I'm here. It's my Day 3. I've got Ben & Jerry's frozen yogurt sitting next to me right now instead of AL. I need to kick this. I'm still young, want to make new dreams for myself, and improve life for my body, my family, and the friends who've put up with me these past couple of years. I think I've mostly hid my problem from them (I usually avoid social settings in order to sit home and drink)...but I gotta live again.

Thanks (sorry this was so long)

My Story

Just wanted to reach out and say Welcome! you will find some great support here. Congratulations on having the courage to leave an abusive relationship and to try to break free of Al. Those things take true guts. you can do it and you will find a lot of great tools, support and new friends here.

If you haven't checked it out already, the Newbies Nest is a great place for those starting out. the Toolbox is a great place to read too, I will go find the link for you now and post it underneath this message. Good luck and go well.

Lilly :welcome:

Comment

My Story

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Hang in there. The first week is the worst but it just gets better and easier.

Comment

My Story

Welcome aboard.....you are not alone in your struggles, someone somewhere here, has or will go through the exact same thing. And should be able to offer you some support or advice

As Lilly stated, the hardest part about quitting is the initial phase. Just stay strong, keep fighting, and soon you can actually rewire your brain.

Its obvious that none of us "need" AL to sustain life, but we think we do.

Wishing you strength, knowledge and support to reach your goals
        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

My Story

doingitforme; I could have written your same story. My marriage lasted 8 years, 4 children and a 4 year horrible divorce. It is only through reading your story that I realise really where my problems started, so thank you for that. It is a demeaning way to live, when someone constantly chips away at your self-confidence. To have someone sniff the dinner, throw it at the wall, throw potatoes at you while you do the dishes, fire cartons of juice, grab you from behind while you drive because you didn't go the way he wanted to, throw your cigarettes in the fire, pour drink over your head, lock you out of the house, humiliating you in public......I could go on...I am just glad that you got out after 2 years, I really am, because I know for you, there was more to come....
          Unfortunately, it has taken me a long, long time to come to terms with what happened to me; I think your story alone is the first time I have been challenged to really look at why my life turned out the way it did. He stayed in my life and continued to be a threatening prescence while the children grew up - he still is. He married recently and has softened, which I am grateful for as I am now getting a bit of peace.......
          You are young and got out; I assume with no children to tie you to him.....take control now and don't let him take any more of that life that belongs to you. You are worth so much more!!!
          I cannot believe how emotional I am after reading your story - brought back so many horrible memories....but they needed to be faced. I hope you are still doing well - if you read this, just know that you have helped me face the truth at last....
          IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
          Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Working...
          X