Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Year - lots of new hope!

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster and newest member of your family. Been drinking heavily for approximately 15 years on average 1-2 times per week. 28 years old now and although that level has been reduced somewhat over the last few years, the binges have caught up and taken their cumulative effect - physically, mentally, spiritually, you name it. On the face of it I have a great life. Family, friends, decent job, etc. On the inside however I've stopped growing in many respects.

I'm not sure if I can put all the blame on my choices re alcohol but I'm pretty damn sure its been one of the chief contributors to my problems. Not only some of the bad situations that you inevitably find yourself in after binging but also the side effects that are often overlooked including stress, depression, anxiety, shame.

I live in Ireland and the culture is steeped in drink. Social occasions nearly always end up around heavy drinking sessions. The cycle is repeated in ad nauseum - rinse and repeat. I will have little support in this journey that I have started out on this morning. I've gone off the booze for spells here and there but realise that I need some kind of support to break out of this habit before I sink any further. I'm not the kind of person to go to a meeting so I hope this community will fill that void cos I know I can't do this all alone.

However I do know that I can do it. I've pulled it out of the bag in other areas when the odds didnt look good and I'm prepared to dig deep again in this battle. I'm sick of pouring crap into me, sick of the noise it creates that I don't need. Hell I don't even like the taste and it's cost me a small fortune over the years in more ways than one.

I've made this vow before and fallen short but I always believe that if you get knocked down you keep getting back up. I refuse to play the game anymore. I know there'll be casualties amongst the days to come but I'll be damned if I'll contine to be the casualty anymore. I've done my time, enjoyed a lot of it especially when I was younger but come to embrace the reality that alcohol and propping up a bar no longer has a place in my life.

I hope that I'll be here for a long time to come and I'm pretty sure more of my story and experience will come out along the way. But for now I just want to say hi and thanks for taking the time to read. As someone great once said - I'm free to be who I want to be, not who you want me to be.

Happy New Year and with it, new hope to all looking to beat this problem. :thanks:

Believe - welcome :welcome: and a Happy New Year to you.

Living in a culture steeped in drink - i fair understand that being a Scot (and half Irish). You say you've been lurking around a while so I am sure you know where to find the newbies nest and toolbox, but the links are below anyhow.

I look forward to reading more from you. This place is simply an amazing wealth of support - use it and you wont regret it I'm sure.

RC

Newbies nest

Toolbox

Comment

Thanks RC,

I think one of the things I've seen and begun to learn is that in our culture, you have to lose everything or let things turn into a proper state of depravity before people start to recognise you've got a drink problem. I'm not willing to go down that road and let things get that bad before I pull the plug. I value my own self worth and health too much so that's why I'm saying enough's enough now.

Comment

Believe7;1436450 wrote: Thanks RC,

I think one of the things I've seen and begun to learn is that in our culture, you have to lose everything or let things turn into a proper state of depravity before people start to recognise you've got a drink problem. I'm not willing to go down that road and let things get that bad before I pull the plug. I value my own self worth and health too much so that's why I'm saying enough's enough now.
        Precisely the little voice that was speaking to me.

Sounds like you got the right attitude Believe.

Comment

Thanks Hippyman,

I wish I had that sense 10 years ago but better now than later i suppose. I was off the drink for a couple months earlier this year and they were the best ever, felt like a kid again. No doubt it's difficult to readjust but it's amazing how you find yourself relearning how to interact and enjoying social occsions for what they really are and not the drink they are soaked in. Some might say this is a cop out but i have found the biggest impediment to me stopping has been others and their dislike/often hostility towards me when I tell them im not drinking and letting myself be pressured into a drinking session. I don't think the issue for me lies in an adherent like or need for alcohol itself but I maybe wrong in that I've been off it for 2 months at most, it might become an issue further down the road.

Comment

Believe7;1436468 wrote: Thanks Hippyman,

I wish I had that sense 10 years ago but better now than later i suppose. I was off the drink for a couple months earlier this year and they were the best ever, felt like a kid again. No doubt it's difficult to readjust but it's amazing how you find yourself relearning how to interact and enjoying social occsions for what they really are and not the drink they are soaked in. Some might say this is a cop out but i have found the biggest impediment to me stopping has been others and their dislike/often hostility towards me when I tell them im not drinking and letting myself be pressured into a drinking session. I don't think the issue for me lies in an adherent like or need for alcohol itself but I maybe wrong in that I've been off it for 2 months at most, it might become an issue further down the road.
            Believe I wish I'd had that sense 25 years ago!!!

You sound very established and ready to go! We'll be here lays. :l

:h
            On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
            *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Oops! Lays=Always...darn typo correct ! :H
              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

I'm with Kradle, I wish I started working on this a long long time ago. If you start feeling yourself falter, keep all us 'old folk' in mind - you have a chance to get it right early. Best of luck and hope to see you around.
                AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Believe7;1436427 wrote: Hi all,

However I do know that I can do it. I've pulled it out of the bag in other areas when the odds didnt look good and I'm prepared to dig deep again in this battle. I'm sick of pouring crap into me, sick of the noise it creates that I don't need. Hell I don't even like the taste and it's cost me a small fortune over the years in more ways than one.

I've made this vow before and fallen short but I always believe that if you get knocked down you keep getting back up. I refuse to play the game anymore. I know there'll be casualties amongst the days to come but I'll be damned if I'll contine to be the casualty anymore. I've done my time, enjoyed a lot of it especially when I was younger but come to embrace the reality that alcohol and propping up a bar no longer has a place in my life.
                  :welcome:Now, THAT I could have written myself. You sound like me. I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired and got angry at myself and what I was becoming. Fortunately, I think I pulled the plug just in time, before something drastic happened or before my terrible secret was discovered in an unflattering way.

Good for you and Good luck. Please join us on the Newbies Thread in "Just Starting"

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Welcome, Believe 7!

This is such an uplifting post!! I am more than twice your age, and boy, had I had your wisdom and strength at age 28--can't even imagine!

It's a new year and the start of a new life for you! I look forward to reading your posts!

TDN
                    "One day at a time."

Comment

Welcome, Believe! It can be really hard when you start out not drinking when your friends/aquaintances are drinkers. It it hard on them when you don't drink, because it encourages them to look at their own drinking, and they don't want to do that.

We also have a daily thread on Monthly Abstinence section. It is a good way to keep yourself in touch with people who are making abstinence their life style. Also, there tends to not be a lot of drama there--always a good selling point!

At any rate, we are here to care and accept you, and I hope you find MWO a real place to find the support you need.

Hugs,
                      :l
                      YahYah
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X