Alcohol and decreased motivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just logged my 13th day AF, which, although not my longest period of abstinence, is significant for me. I've been sleeping really well and have certainly felt physically better, most notably because I don't feel constantly agitated. However, and bear in mind, I know it hasn't been that long, but I find that I don't gain much pleasure/enjoyment from previous hobbies/activities. I've noticed this has increased slowly over the past 3 years or so, and given that I've more or less spent most of the past 3 years drunk, I can't say that I'm surprised- I'm sure the booze has not been very good to my brain. At the same time, I'm not depressed or anything, so I can't blame my apathetic state on any mental health condition. I'm curious to hear from others who, after abstaining from alcohol for some time, began regaining their interest in activities/hobbies once enjoyed. Or to put the question another way, does anyone know anything about the effects of long-term alcohol abuse on motivation?

Hi 5th!!!:h
    Congrats on day13 sweetie.....you're going good guns, it's great to feel those sober days building up isn't it?
    I cannot answer your question based on scientific fact, but do know that I hit a real low for a while after going AF...
    I have been drinking non stop for 18 years and was so pleased to find the site and start my new sober life...however, I thought that all I would have to do was stop drinking and the melonlife would suddenly become a mardi gras of fun and bounce....how wrong I was.

I got so used to relying on the bottle for 'excitement' and 'entertainment', that I forgot how to do it for myself, and lost much interest in anything at all really for a while.
    Controlling your alcohol intake is very much a holistic process...there is a lot more to do than just not picking up the wine bottle, which seems a bit unfair doesn't it when 'just' doing that takes so much out of you!!! I also believe that your body needs a rest while it is going through the detox period, and the lethargy is it's way of telling you to ease up for a bit while the physiological changes take place. A good diet free from processed food, REALLY helped my energy levels, and I also started to take anti depressants, as I sank lower and lower and didn't want this to be a 'reason' I started back on the grog. I'm not keen on taking meds, but I reckon that prescription drugs were less harmful than all the poison I had been pouring into myself for so long and so decided to go for anything that would more firmly help my mental resolve.

I also felt that I was so used to extreme highs or lows when drinking, that any other state of being left me feeling flat and 'nothing'....it took a while to realise that this was actually a good feeling...sobriety, calm mind, and a sense of peace which I mistook for boredom, being so unused to it.
    I now enjoy my life so much more...and it sounds cliched, but I really appreciate the simple things...just walking on the beach or going out for a coffee and reading my newest book but without any hangover, shame or guilt........ You will get there bud...it just takes a while for you to reset yourself physically and mentally...just roll with it, look after the nutrition side of things, and everything else will follow....be GLAD that you are lethargic and not hungover...have a rest...watch a dvd...this is all part of the process and shows that you ARE making great progress with your new, healthier lifestyle:l
    l

Keep going 5th......
    Weemelon

Comment

Hi 5th,

Well done on AF days!:goodjob:

I am answering from my own experience and the answer is yes, especially in the last years I have lost interest in anything - except drinking. Everything is a boring chore. And I noticed during the couple dry patches this year (10 and 16 days) that I started getting to be interested in things and activities. Little things were enjoyable, too. And when I hit the bottle again, everything was back sooo boooring and uninteresting.

Otie

Comment

Working...
      X