Brain chemistry changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain chemistry changes

I'm a newbie but certainly am not a "special" alcoholic as my addiction is the same as yours. However, what I've always dealt with is the "need 3 beers in the morning" to feel normal...I'm now at the point where I don't want to sleep because of the intense cravings (nausea, vomitting, irrational thoughts, fears, worries, depression) that occur once I've slept off the alchol induced sleep (normally now more than a couple of hours and I'm craving horrifically again). I don't drink to get "drunk", though it does happen at times...I drink to "maintain" my bodies intense cravings. I have never dealt w/my emotions, but always "pushed" them away w/alcohol, so I am ill-fitted to do so at this juncture in my life, and it's gotten worse as I've gotten older. The only way I function is to drink. I realize I am in great need of therapy, though it's not helped in the past as I'm unable to afford anything other than county rehab. I realize there is no "magic pill" but wondered if any of you have gotten to the point I am, and if so, what worked?? :new:

Brain chemistry changes

Hi Joyful, cool name!!

Welcome aboard, I am not sure I can offer specific help for you my friend, as my cravings did not seem so intense as yours - but if you hang on in there, I am sure someone else on here will be along who can give more advice.
    It sounds like you are at a stage where it might be a bad idea to try to withdraw without medical supervision - so please stick around until someone with more relevant experience comes along to give advice.

The very fact you are here at all means you are at a stage where you have realised that a change is needed.
    This place is amazing - the folks on here are all so supportive and non-judgemental - we all have arrived here because we have realised we have a problem - but the good news is it IS possible to do something about it - as so many stories on here prove.

Once again - welcome, and stick around we WILL do whatever we can to help!!!

Take care

Satori

xxx
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Brain chemistry changes

Joyful,

I got quite close to where you are, waking in the night and drinking more in secret just to take the edge off ..... and then started having a drink at 6am as soon as hubby went to work .... and then all day on my days off ...

That was last year.

Satori is right, you shouldn't just stop without supervision, I cut down gradually with the support of my family.

It isn't easy, but it is possible .....

Read the swimmimg pool thread on general discussion, it's long but excellent.

All the best, be strong.

Love & Hugs, BB xx
      sigpicXXX

Comment

Brain chemistry changes

:welcome: Joyful!

There are a lot of good ideas on cutting down here...
        Slowly may be the only way for you and add some of the resources offered here to help you along. Check out the "store".....
        You can pickup some of the supplements at nearby health food stores to get you started.

Try and cut down on that morning intake one at a time with water in between beers.

I've found that Calmsforte helps some and if you have a general doc, maybe something else for a short while.

Our bodies get used to being numbed by alcohol and it will take some time and healthy new things to get past the alcohol addiction.

:goodjob: finding this site...I hope you keep coming back and can find some help here.
        "Never give up"
        :l Nancy
        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Brain chemistry changes

From what I've read, as alcoholics, we crave the Dopamine that is a chemical released in the brain from the consume of alcohol - this would be one "positive" chemical released, though there are many negative ones released as well. Is it possible that we alcoholics have a deficiency of dopamine?? Or that our personality types simply need more of this chemical? I'll do more research to see if there is a drug that "increases" dopamine, which is what we seek to derive from alcohol...I'll post back later Thanks for all of your input, support, and understanding. I'm on a mission here! I sooooo want to understand this disease!

Comment

Brain chemistry changes

Hi Joyful
            You might do well to try amino acids - which help produce dopamine- in fact they are the brain's building blocks of dopamine and seratonin which alcoholics are often deficient in. You should look into ordering the amino complete from this site and perhaps also supplement it with 50 mg of 5-HTP a day (precursor to serotonin - so helps in creating serotonin in the brain); 100 mg of L-Tryptophan (another precursor of serotonan); 100 mg DL-Phenylalanine - creates dopamine; L-Glutamine - replenishes amino acid stores and helps with cravings. The amounts I have given you are pretty low but they are a good starter - and you should consult with a doctor too whenever you start a new nutrition/amino acid therapy program.
            Jen
            Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Brain chemistry changes

Hi Joyfull,
              I agree with Jen about the amino acids. A good diet of fresh foods will help too. Take care not to get so bogged down with searching for a scientific answer that you put off quitting, I've done that, its a form of denial, 'It'll be easy once I find the answer' sort of thing. The cutting down and stopping still has to be done, even if you start by starting to drink 10 minutes later than usual each morning then you are going in the right direction.
              All the best, and keep us updated.
              Suz
              Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Brain chemistry changes

more on tryptophan

To Jen:

Can you post more on tryptophan? I have read good things about it, that it is better than 5HTP. Did you get a prescription for this?If so, how did the doctor react to your request?

Comment

Brain chemistry changes

Joyful, Welcome. My understanding is that our body will start to make the dopamine again when it finally is convinced we are not going to give it drinks. I hope you are able to get the book, cds and all the supplements quickly to help you cut down while waiting to see a dr. for help with detox. There is lots of info and support here - glad you found us.

Comment

Brain chemistry changes

Dig in Joyful, you are welcome here.
                    bear
                    What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
                    ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Brain chemistry changes

Joyful:
                      I do not have much more to add, just wanted to welcome you myself to the site. I hope you find what you are looking for.
                      Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Brain chemistry changes

oh my god i thought as i was reading that ,it sounded like it was me who had posted it an not remembered!! i am day 2 of reducing my morning medicine, i have been drinkin half a 35cl of brandy, an a beer or 5,6,even 7 beers in morning, depending on time, ive had to try an stop i have ben late, messed up, soooooooomany times recently due to my morning medicine dosage increasing over the mths , i even get up earlier so i can fit it in,between kids, but the more time ive got the more i drink, i have really reduced but im feeling lousy, when u drink u dont hear ur body screaming that it hurts an need a rest do u, i havnt been drunk 4 2 days! an i can hear my body, i think my liver will b kickin me all nite, i cant sleep any way! lots of time 2 debate 2morr, i hope u can find some rational thought here, x
                        :upset: lol the assmaster!! im slowly tryin to unwedge my head out my arse !!

Comment

Working...
                        X